Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#499 12-02-2002 08:24 AM
gnelson Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi, Well here i am getting ready for my second surgery in a month.They took the bar out that was my jaw bone. My chin did not sink in , I guess high cheek bones and it being in for over a year made it all hold well. Dec.5 in the early morning they will take tissue from my arm, and vein and bring up to line my mouth. cover this with skin graft from my leg.( This is my 3d skin graft and I hate them, they smart).My ENT threw me a curve ball with this, he said Plastics will not go in unless we have a backup plan, the right side is where a large piece of jaw bone was taken also moderate neck.They feel sure they could not get a vein there to connect so it will have to come from the left side. My scars are going to look like I have been cut from ear to ear! If that vein is not good enough, they bail. My ENT says if they cannot go that way he will skin graft from my leg to the bottom of my mouth, untither tongue, They may try to fix my mouth a little also. I asked how long before I would be done , a year? More? He can't answer that. One step at a time. You guys all do your thing for me Thursday, something has to work for me to get me back together again.I am very lucky that I now have over two years of no cancer, but it is hard to keep going backwards with reconstruction. It is a good thing I am a bull headed woman, as surgery 8 is up and more to go! I will be in the hospital for maybe two weeks.Stay well all!gnelson :rolleyes:

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#500 12-02-2002 08:42 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Stay BullHeaded..........I got my chin and lost my cheek.......I have no idea where graft number 4 will come from, and you`re right they do smart.............we`re like incredible put together people.............Much Incense and Prayers will be flying your way........Packer and dee

#501 12-02-2002 10:57 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

gnelson,

You hang tough and stay in there...I'll be thinking of you and wishing good things your way on the 5th.

Take care,
Dinah

#502 12-02-2002 12:25 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Gnelson.........Sending good thoughts your way! Hang tight, it will soon be a thing of the past. SIncerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#503 12-03-2002 04:21 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I'm pulling for you big time G. Nelson. Reading your post makes me feel a little petty about complaining about stuff like dry mouth at night!

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#504 12-03-2002 05:06 AM

Well, I`ve got a tentative surgery date the end of Jan.........blizzard weather ofcourse.........surgeon actually asked if I still want it done........no, I want to go around with a gaping hole in my face............Dee emailed and asked why we wouldn`t want to close it? will update on reasoning, unless to keep the 4 by 4 folks in business.............Prayers your Way.......Packer

#505 12-03-2002 08:35 AM
gnelson Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, Doctors do not seem to have a lot of logic to what they say sometimes. My Plastic surgeon , head of the team doing my surgery, called this morning. He does this, he just asks if your ready etc. He mentions that they will be taking one of the two major arteries out of my arm and I may have "cold hand" eek confused after. Now there is such a thing as too much medical information, at this point that was too much. My mind is set and ready, I do not want to know any more!I spent a couple of hours outside in the cold putting up lights trying to work this off. Now I am in trouble with my husband when he sees I did this before such a big surgery, no one mention the ladder!One more time! Gayla

#506 12-03-2002 08:50 AM
vb Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

What you are going through sounds like what the doctor told my mother she could have done. Her mouth is out of alignment since they put in the metal plate as a jaw bone and what remains of her tongue has adhered to the bottom of her mouth somewhat because of the scarred tissue according to her surgeon. He told her he could remove the metal jawbone and untether her tongue, but of course it would require another hospital stay. It sounds to me from what you are saying that this would be only the beginning of what she would need to have done. She is almost 80. Any advice. I doubt she will go back in the hospital, but was wondering what your opinion is since you are going through it. Appreciate any advice. Best wishes for success and a very expeditious recovery.

Vince

Vince
#507 12-03-2002 09:08 AM
gnelson Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I hate to give you advice on which way to go only a Doctor could. I had my bar removed because it had an infection on it. My tongue never had Cancer in it, it was sewed done to keep me from pulling at that side of my face when eating and talking. If all they do is remove bar and untither tongue, you are talking a very easy prosess with only a few days in the hospital.He may want to do this thinking it will be easier for her to eat and talk.Being 80 she may not want to go through what I am to rebuilt face structure.Ask them questions, why, what next, what will make her the most comfortable.Good luck gnelson

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics