Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Sorry for not posting in a while. I have been away from the forum but I haven't forgoten. I thought I would post up some of my recent activities.

On May 9th I was in Challis Idaho talking to kids about dipping and presenting my power point showing my story and possible results for them if they keep dipping. I had the full attention of a very polite group of about 200+ kids. Five of them gave me their cans and a few more said as soon as they get home, theirs is going inot the trash. They also took home pamplets I have gotten from various sources including Brian ( Thank you again Brian). Unfortunately, only a few pictures from this event turned out, but they give you an idea of how large my powerpoint was on the screen.
Idaho Presentation

blurry, but you get the idea

On May 18th I went to a local high school health fair. Though not fancy like alot of the booths, my booth was main stopping point for these kids. Some left and brought back friends that dipped. I had a few trash their cans and a few more were planning to do so once they got home.

Guy with hand in pocket
gave me his can and swore to quit.

Another quitter.

Talking to the kids.

More kids.

Reactions are always interesting to watch. Here are some of the kids reactions to my pictures.

Reaction 1

Reaction 2

Reaction 3

Reaction 4

Last reaction.

Anyhow, just wanted to share this with everyone. The nurse at the local high school is going to pass along info on my program to the area wide co ordinator of this type of program and hopefully I will pick up more speeches.

Y'all take care til next time.

Curtis

The Outdoor Texan
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Curtis,

Thank you for sharing your continuing efforts with helping to get kids to stop dipping. A picture truly is worth a thousand words.

Happy to see you back on the forum.

Welcome back.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hello Curtis

Your work will save many lives and make more people aware of the dangers of dipping. I presume you speak out against all tobacco products.

A man like you came to my high school (7th grade) warning of the dangers of smoking. On his table there was an ex-ray showing black lungs. I did not smoke for the next five years but started my senior year (Idiot). You're presentation was much more graphic.

The reactions were great! Those pictures do have shock value! It was great to hear that many "guit on the spot" and many were discarding products when they got home, and others were to tell friends.

The pictures of the kids were also refreshing as I think of them as our future leaders. I see some kids now with rings and hoops in their eyes, lips, nose, and XXXX. Oh well, to each his own.

I'm PROUD of YOU! You most likely saved a few lives and prevented many the horrors of oral cancer.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! YOU WILL BE REWARDED!

Sincerely, Petey smile

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Curtis -

Wow - thanks for sharing the pictures. Your willingness to share your story and pain is saving lives (no doubt). Keep up the great work and know that you are making a difference today and into the future.

Carol R.

Carol R - caregiver to hubby Ken. Stage 4, SCC, BOT. 6/05 dx, 9/25/05 last tx, 5/06 stroke. Four years cancer free! Still taking things 1 day at a time.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Curtis,

I thought I had responded to your post but something got messed up. Anyway, I think it great what you are doing and the pictures are truely worth 1000 words.

I hope you are able to continue to do your thing. I am sure you will save some lives and they won't even know it but you will.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Curtis, I have given so many people your web address...it`s the best one I know to shock the stuff outa some of these kids.
Well Done!
Marica

Caregiver to husband (Pete) Stage IV Base of Tongue. Dx 04 2003 Chemo/Radiation no surgery.. doing great!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics