Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50218 04-12-2007 08:53 AM
MARTY Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I just wrote a letter to the editor of our local newspaper about Oral Cancer Awareness Week. If we all took the time to write a letter to our local newspaper (or better yet a feature article) about what we all know about oral cancer and how important it is to be aware of issues with our mouth, head and neck, we would probably be reaching thousands of people. So, write a letter!

Marty

MARTY-Caregiver to husband (non-smoker/non-drinker)Dx 04/06 SCC Stage IV left tonsil-3 lymph nodes,HPV+,Tx 35xIMRT,35xcisplatin/tarceva,neck dissection 11/06, beginning HPV vaccine JHopkins 04/07.
#50219 04-12-2007 03:16 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hey Marty.
You are right. I have done so. Sharlee has done so. I'm sure we are not alone on this. I do not know why, but it's like a big deal for them?(reporters) I would think they would say hey, WE can make a difference here. I have been sending them the Oral Cancer Facts which is on the home page. The OCF website itself. I have spoken with 3 reporters. I do not know why a bell just doesn't go off in their head??? I was reading up on "The Associated Press" website today. I also have been pushing the fact that 4-16 thru 4-22 is National Oral Cancer Awareness Week! I have given them the website, saying all your legwork is done. I explained about how early detection is key! And just the simple lack of knowledge is contributing to the late stage detection of the disease. It's human nature when you get involved in something you jump in running. :rolleyes: When you read the stories here about misdiagnosis it's frightening. I just posted 2 days ago in activisim under the post missed or misdiagnosis an article that was in Parade this Sunday called "The Most Dangerous Medical Mistake". 90,000 Americans will die this year from medical errors. Misdiagnosis is the leading error. 15%! 15% of all people seeking medical attention will be misdiagnoist! mad
You are right Marty! If each one of us individually could cause 1 article to be published....It would defy logic if it did not have an impact! OK team..that was my best Knute Rockne Impression. This is our time, our time!
READY?? ON THREE!!! laugh

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#50220 04-12-2007 04:38 PM

You will have to excuse me I am new at this.
My name is Kate. I am 21 years old and mother of a beautiful baby boy. If someone asked me 5 years ago if I was afraid to die, I would tell them no not at all. If someone asked me today I would tell them you bet.
The truth is, I dont know if I do have cancer. The jury is still out on that one. I have waited 5 months to find out, and my day is soon coming. My life has not been easy at all. Every time I turned around someone in my family was passing from some sort of cancer. I always thought that it wouldnt happen to me. That if I was feeling sick that I wouldnt go see the docter. I thought that they were the ones that put the idea in your head that you were deathly ill and your brain would just give up any hope of surviving the horrible test that god put infront of you. I always believed that life was a race against time. When it was our time then it was our time. Ofcourse I was saying this because it was never happening to me.
Before I got sick I decided to settle down and have a family. I thought that nothing could touch me, proud first parent (you know cloud nine). Now that I have this test infront of me, im scared. I pray every day that its nothing... I just have a REALLY bad virus.. or a cold that ive had for 5months. Where do I go from here?
Some people think that if your the person that lives minute to minute that it shouldnt shock you. You should be prepared for anything, because you never sat down to think of the what would of's. I guess that I never thought about it either until now.
Tonight I saw this web site and saw all of the amazing stories. I wanted you all to know that I would be proud to be one of you. You all have so much strength that I cant even relate to. Just reading what all of you had to say gave me that little bit of hope that I think that I was looking for tonight. And I wanted to say thankyou to all of you. God Bless.

#50221 04-12-2007 11:45 PM

Hello Katie.
You are right that there is strength and hope here. I am a newbee as we say. Be proud of us, because we pray you are not among us. One thing is for sure. A lot of us have worried ourselves sick, only to get good news. I'm talking about reoccurance and test results and the like. We do not know to much about you, or your symptoms. You will be recieving a lot of responses shortly. Although this is an oral cancer site, we invite all to visit and learn. It is a possibility, but I'm betting you don't have cancer. You must have had bloodwork or something ( 5 months? ). Anyway, you hang tight and get those negative thoughts out of your mind. We do not want you getting ulcers for nothing. As to where to go from here...I would say there is a calvery coming your way from this website and they will let you know! Relax...and give that boy a hug! Your family is in my prayers. Petey smile

***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#50222 04-13-2007 01:09 AM

Hello Katie.
I know you are new. I put a note in our "introduce yourself" section to alert others you are here. Please read the faq at the top of the page. It will help you navigate through this forum.

#50223 04-13-2007 03:42 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello all ..

A few things ..Katie ..take a breathe ..its not cancer until they tell you it is .. I know that is a hard thing ..beleive me i do , every lesion or sore in my mouth ( now cyst on my EYE ) I swear it is ..then I take a deep breath and tell myself unitl my dr says so , it is just a noraml every day sore , I cant say I always beleive myself but I try real hard ..LOL So Go to an ENT they are best at diag this thing , you are awful young although it is happening younger . But see DR that is your best bet, and dont settle for just blood work , Ihad blood work just days before my sugery ..already knowing I had cancer and my blood work was perfect ! Have them do a Scope to look at back of your thraot and tongue ..it sux but can save your life . Gotta run ..other big news ..news paper is interviewing me today and they just arrived !! I will post more later !

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#50224 04-13-2007 05:48 AM

I go to my ENT on tuesday the 17th. Thats when I will find out. Hopefully it will be a good result.
When I got sick, I was having problems with my insurance company. Thats just the luck that I have. So I had to go to the emergency room. My symptoms were soars in the back of my throat, face swollen, 5 lumps in neck, lump under arm, and a really bad headache. They did the usuall blood work and throat culture. They couldnt find anything. They tested me for everything under the sun. They sent me home and told me that it was probably just a virus and stress. They gave me an antibiotic and xanex, and said that if symptoms worsen or dont go away then to go see my primary. Ten days later after the antibiotic my symptoms were no where near gone but worse. I tried to go to my primary but they wouldnt see me because of my insurance. That darn luck again! So I went back to the ER because here I am trying to raise a baby alone, and I am really nervouse. They tell me that I need to go see an ENT. So I go back home and make the call. They wont see me because of my INSURANCE... and I dont have the $200 to dish out (not a wealthy person). So the only thing that I can do is wait... and wait. Finally I got my insurance all straightend out 4 months later... not any better by the way, but only worse. My headaches are so bad that some days I cant get out of bed, but cant lay down. So I go see my primary thinking that they would probably tell me the same thing that the er doc said. This time they put me on penacilon and told me to go see the ENT. So I go home and make the call. The ENT doesnt have an app. available for another month. So meanwhile I finish the antibiotic again... but nothing getting better or worse at this point. I dont think that if I was worse I would notice... just really tired. The more I look online with my symptoms the more fear I have, until I found this site. Up until now I thought I was the only one that had to be in this rat race. But it made me feel better that I wasnt the only person out there that had to experience this. That is why I was soo moved, because I really thought that i was the only one with such bad luck.

#50225 04-13-2007 08:10 AM

Hello again Katie.
I saw your babies picture..He's beautiful. What's his name? I had posted in the "introduce yourself" but they took it off??? Maybe if you wrote a little intro there, people would be aware that you are on the forum. It sounds like your in a tough spot, but do not let it get you down. If there's a will there's a way. Did they do a biopsy? You mentioned a throat culture. I do not know anything about that. Hang tight. You will meet a lot of very knowledgeable people shortly. Take Care, Petey

#50226 04-13-2007 09:49 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Katie, Oh My Gosh, your son is adorable!!!!!Katie, please let us know how your ENT visit goes.....I am hoping everything is okay.....good thoughts heading your way! Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
#50227 04-13-2007 11:20 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Double Carol's good thoughts! Warmly, JaneP

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics