Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#49538 03-04-2004 06:09 PM
Mark Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

Absolutely we have an excellent opportunity to SIGNIFICANTLY reduce SCC oral cancer mortality.

I do not however, believe we will have a great deal of success eliminating sexual activity, alcohol consumption, or unfortunately all tobbacco use.

And I understand that Tobbacco is the leading cause agent for a very high percentage of Oral cancer. What doesn't make sense are the numbers: We know that the longer you are in contact with tobbacco products, the greater the odds of this disease. We can assume that it is a matter of contact between cells of tissue and the carcinogens in the tobbacco. Why then do we see the disease in people whom had modest contact with tobbaco, And many more people with no disease and heavy contact with tobbacco? I understand that the risk increases with higher use but I don't believe it is increasing in the correct proportion to the cell contact rate.

I did a fair amount of reading on the subject of alcohol and once again interesting quirks in the reaserch. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that alcohol is an agent, but a lot of people drink and do not get cancer. Another study using mouthwash (which often has more alcohol than wine) showed no increase in cancer.

I am not really trying to spend a lot of time debating things that of no significance here but to me the circumstances that cause this cancer leave me with a desire to dig deeper. I wonder if the "Life Choices" issue causes "experts" to stop thinking outside the box? Maybe it is some other agent together with the alcohol? Just as two years ago hardly no one would have believed an HPV link and certainly no one would believe 25 to 50 percent! (incidently, evidence supports that HPV is able to invade easier if the person drinks and/or uses tobbaco) When I said we barely KNOW what causes this, I meant; I do not think we know all the possible combinations of events and agents that might cause the first cell mutation and I believe it is an activists duty to ask the questions that require outside the box thinking.

Yes, I have unresolved guilt that my lifestyle caused my cancer. Using the phrase "lifestyle choices" brings me very close to the anger I have previously professed to not have. It is a slap in the face kind of expression. My lifestyle choices are a whole lot better than some, and there are people here that are better than me. I smoked very little but I did smoke. I drink some, but I deny being in denial about how much. I have been alive on the planet so I probably have come in contact with HPV.

What I really want is a perfect cure for this damn disease and that is a long way off! We truly, barely know how to cure it. If we understood EXACTLY what caused it perhaps a more effective prevention program could be effected....

5% of 40,000 is still 2000 and they deserve to know more.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#49539 03-04-2004 06:21 PM
Mark Offline OP
OP Offline

Fr. Mike, I have not read anything that suggests that HPV is transmitted exclusively by sexual contact. It is entirely possible and plausible that they can be transmitted in other ways.

Say hello to your boss for me would you?

PS Our new pastor is also a OC survivor, base of tongue! (one of the 5 people in our town that I know of)

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users