Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#49476 07-15-2003 04:12 AM
gnelson Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi, Recently I saw a can of snuff ( a can is snuff right?) and I picked it up and read it, it said this product can cause Oral Cancer! Why do they not put that on cigarette packs? How would you ever get them to? It might cause a jolt to smokers. Maybe not, when people who knew me found out I had Cancer they quit or cut back and ran to their dentists to get checked, now years later they are back to smoking. You would think looking at me and knowing what I went thru would scare them more. Putting it on the pack might make them more alert to things going on in their mouth!

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#49477 07-15-2003 11:49 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Are you kidding? I worked for the company that builds medical linear accelerators for radiation treatment (Siemens -Mevatron) and many people there smoked even though they actually SAW the consequences! Addiction is NOT cured by labels! Raise the price 5 bucks a pack -that'll cure some of 'em.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#49478 07-15-2003 03:03 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Sorry, I do not agree. Raising the price of a pack of cigarettes by $5.00 will only cause people to go without something else. Teens will find the money by other means etc. etc.
While on the topic of pricing cigarettes and I will throw in alcohol as well. I have always been confused by our governments (USA & Canadian) methods of trying to get people to quit. If they are so concerned about the damage smoking and drinking cause, why are they so content making a profit off of them? Here in Canada both Tobacco and Alcohol are highly taxed.
I do not think that the pictures they put on the packs and tins really bother to many smokers or people that want to smoke. Those pictures are rarely seen as most people keep their packs in a pocket or purse. "Out of sight out of mind." And if they do bother a person you can buy one that is more to your liking to cover the one on the pack. I have even heard people tell the clerk in the store, " No not that one I hate that picture."
David

#49479 07-15-2003 04:28 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Why don't we put a lable on football and baseball tickets that reads: The money you spent on this ticket is money you could have used to support finding cures for cancer.....or the money you spent on this expensive vacation could have been used to feed 100 starving people.

The fact is WE all are guilty of some crime against humanity. While we rail against something we should also stand in front of a mirror. I doubt we will ever eliminate bad behavior (I am not suggesting we stop trying either) but instead recognize the wide scope and range of bad behavior.

I have several very good friends whom continue to smoke away, in spite of their witnessing my trial with this disease. The fact that a good number of people live to a ripe old age after inhaling far more smoke than most, is personally a source of confusion.

Likewise why me, a God fearing believer that has never commited a crime above speeding, father of 3, still married nearly 20 years should have to deal with this and watch truly evil people live on and on will continually test my understanding.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#49480 07-15-2003 09:14 PM

I think it takes a variety of measures to reduce cigarette smoking. I would bet that the warning labels are the least effective. Have you looked at a common ladder lately, they have dozens of warning labels -everything has warning labels these days. It has diluted their effectiveness. Statistically, the number of smokers does decline when the price is raised. In California, in the SF Bay area 80% of the population is non-smoking Highest in the world). Reason: cost, education, health awareness and fitness conciousness. It also helps that the population here is among the best educated in the world. In my area they just passed an ordinance that you can't even smoke within 20' of a building. We have had smoke free public buildings, businesses, bars and restaurants for years now. Cigarette machines are illegal except in bars. Since ALL of us bear the health costs for those who refuse to modify their harmful health behaviours, it makes sense to raise the taxes on liquor and tobacco ("sin" tax). I personally am perplexed why the government just doesn't outright ban them but prohibition didn't work either and provided the foundation for organized crime to boot. And we don't want the government to be our "priest" either. I am not sure that I agree with Mark that "...WE all are guilty of some crime against humanity.", but I do believe that we are all flawed in varying degrees. Even the bible says that we are all born with original sin. Oddly we seem to treasure our vices inspite of the overwhelming evidence. 12 step programs can help.
I am happy to report that I quit smoking in 1976, drugs in 1986 and alcohol in 1995. I have tried my best to serve others, am a lay Christian counselour and active in various recovery and support groups. It's been said that "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". So let me throw this out there -how would YOU correct this if you were the tobacco/substance abuse czar?

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#49481 07-15-2003 09:24 PM

I stand corrected about the labels!
OTTAWA, Canada (CNN) -- Graphic warning labels on cigarette packages in Canada have been effective in discouraging smoking, according to a study by the Canadian Cancer Society.

Fifty-eight percent of smokers interviewed in the study said full-color pictures of how cancer affects the mouth, lungs, heart and brain had made them think more about the health effects of smoking.

The warnings were so effective that 44 percent of the smokers polled said the new warnings increased their motivation to quit smoking. And 38 percent of smokers who attempted to quit in 2001 said the new warnings were a factor in motivating them to try to quit.

The full-color, picture-based warnings cover half of the front and back of each package of cigarettes. They include pictures of a diseased mouth, a lung tumor, a brain after a stroke, a damaged heart, and a limp cigarette that warns of impotence. Warnings inside each package offer tips on quitting.

The warnings were launched about a year ago and replaced black-and-white text messages that covered about 35 percent of each package, similar to cigarette package warnings in the United States.

Full text: http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/01/09/canadian.cigarettes/

Gary Allsebrook
#49482 07-16-2003 03:32 AM
gnelson Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, When I read Marks post, I am going "What pictures?" Gary answed that question, what great information! It does work, too bad we do not have that in the US.Garys also right about something else, last time I got a replacement PEG tube there were two Doctors doing it that day, after they finished one said to the other, Its real slow now lets go out for a smoke. I was more than a little suprised! It can't happen to me seems to be the idea even very well educated people have.

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#49483 07-16-2003 06:45 AM

Gary Allsebrook
#49484 07-16-2003 09:05 AM

But yet they say sales are up for cigarettes. So I am not sure how accurate that information is Gary.
In Saskatchewan where I am it is illegal for any retail outlet that offers cigarettes for sale to have them out in the open where a child may see them. This I find amusing as well. All they have done is increased the curiosity of the kids as to what lurks behind the curtains. And for those who have parents that do smoke they know what is behind all the curtains. Maybe they should put those descriptive pictures on the curtains as well to discourage people.
I'm not sure that your statement, "It also helps that the population here is among the best educated in the world" is not somewhat bias. I think there are well educated people all over the world and a lot of them smoke. There are ordinances in my area as well that make it illegal for you to smoke within 20' of certain buildings. We also have had smoke free public buildings, businesses, bars and restaurants for years and cigarette machines are usually only seen in bars. As far as the "Sin Tax" as you called it, would someone please tell me how much of that actually goes back to Cancer Research. I bet there is more going towards politicians than there is research.
David

#49485 07-16-2003 09:52 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I have owned a few convenience stores for 25 years. I can tell you that my sales have never dropped at any of my locations. Everytime we raise the price (because of a new tax), people say they are going to quit but I still see them everyday. I was a smoker from age 15 until age 40 and I can tell you quitting was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. Now 5 years later, my husband (who never smoked) gets tounge cancer. I feel guilty everyday because I belive he got cancer because I smoked. I was still craving cigs a lot until my husband got sick, now the thought of cigs makes my stomach turn. I even tell my regular customers all the time that they should stop smoking (I am sure the company I have a franchise with would LOVE to hear that). These customers also know my husband and what he has been through and it doesnt effect them in the least. I know my businesses selling these cigs is not helping but this is all I know how to do , and I would loose my franchise if I stopped selling them. I think when people are ready they will quit. I also think no matter what anyone says or does is going to make someone want to quit, I know I was there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users