Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#49460 05-17-2003 07:21 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is my first posting here, and perhaps my only one, I am not a patient or a caregiver, but I do have something in common with at least Brian. I manage a non-profit foundation /charity. I watch many other organization's web sites and message boards to see how our organization can improve itself and keep the quality of what we offer at the highest standards. I have been intrigued by OCF since I first saw it as a beautifully designed, small, 20-page web site only 18 months ago. During my returns to it I have seen it blossom into a sophisticated, vibrant, and content rich environment with hundreds of pages. In many respects I have stolen from the OCF effort, as the example it provides is one of the better I have found, regardless of the size of the organization. You can imagine my surprise to hear in a communication from the foundation last week that it has no employees, no office etc. and that it is pretty much just Brian. I am amazed to say the least, that so much has been accomplished in such a short period of time with so few resources. I am particularly impressed with the family of posters that has populated the site, the tone of their postings, and the quality of not only the technical information that is shared, but the sincere empathy that posters have for each other. I have not found this at many other sites, and none to the extent I see it here.

The recent dialog in this forum obviously caught my attention. And I wish to share an outsider's observation with all of you. In all organizations, not only the success of the entity but the feel, the quality, and mood of everything that organization or charity does, comes down from a central point. Someone who has the vision, the passion, and embodies the core values of that organization, sets the mood in their manner in the office, in their passion for an idea, and in their compassion with other individual's struggles, be they employees, customers, or patients. That person sets the tone that establishes everything that follows. I suspect that in OCF this is also true. I think that the quote that is in Brian's sign off in each message says it better than I can, and it would appear that he tries to run OCF in that manner. What I have learned from my visit to OCF today and your founders last posting, is that a true leader also knows how to maintain balance and perspective, even if his own weakness are bared and revealed to accomplish that balance. Brian has a command of words that can cut, but it appears that they can also build bridges back to what has been cut. Only someone who really cares would take the time to do so. It is much easier to hit the delete button.

(This message edited to remove posters organization and name from signature by Brian Hill)

#49461 05-17-2003 08:15 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Vietvet1968,

Bravo!!! Well said. You are welcome here anytime. And the best of luck to you in your own endeavor.

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
#49462 05-17-2003 04:25 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I think we have sufficiently beaten this issue to death. I am closing this thread of messages to new posts.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users