Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49419 04-04-2003 04:20 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

A buddy of mine is currently at M.D. Anderson, having had his esophagus removed after an endoscopy revealed a tumor. I went up there to visit him today and spent some time.
Before having cancer I probably wouldn't have gone and would not have known what to say if I had. I would probably have considered him a " dead man walking".
However now that I am an old cancer pro, I delighted in being there, bluntly discussed all the issues with my friend and joked around. When he wanted to take a walk around the hospital, I helped him unplug his IV stuff and even tied the gown on his hairy back and off we went, even cruising far away halls full of esoteric labs where his presence drew curious looks from the lab workers not used to seeing patients wandering so far.
So there you have it...having cancer put me in a position to understand what he is going through, to be nonplussed by the tube in his nose and the fact that he is sick, and hopefullly, to add a little good advice, hope and joy to his situation. It helped that he is a great guy who already has a wonderful attitude.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#49420 04-04-2003 06:07 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Danny...... Your post brought a smile to my face; your friend is lucky to have someone who is knowledgeable and kind. Thanks for sharing the story. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#49421 04-04-2003 06:53 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

What a great thing for you to do, Danny, and you are correct -- cancer changes us in more ways than just physically. In my case, for every little thing I lost, I gained others. You should know that Donna, who posted above me, is the woman who answered ALL of my many questions and by so doing, helped me sing and dance though treatment (only a slight exaggeration). Recently my ENT asked me to talk to a post-neck patient who was refusing radiation. I might have balked at arm twisting a stanger before, but this time I jumped in with both feet and after three days of phone calls and e-mails, he saw the light. I think the cancer experience must do something to make us more giving and accepting. Not a bad trade off. And Donna is correct - your friend is lucky to know you. Good going, Danny!
Joanna

#49422 04-05-2003 06:39 AM

ABSOLUTELY! way to go!

Danny I have felt compelled to help with the trials of other "C" people. Two months before my diagnosis another person at our church was diagnosed with lymphoma (probably spelled wrong). I didn't know of his problem untill he offered to help me when I was nearly a wreak with my diagnosis. He and I still remain vigilent in our support for each other and we both have sought to help several others. One of mine was a High school classmate that I heard had just recieved an Ovarian Cancer diagnosis. I called her out of the blue (we had not talked for 20+ years) we talked for a long time and I believe it was good for both of us. I would not have done that before my ordeal.
I have since done that for several near strangers and we now continue to stay in touch.

Thanks to every one! it helps.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#49423 04-05-2003 08:47 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Danny,

You hit the nail on the head - you couldn't have done this before - a little good from cancer!!!
Understatement - You probably made it a BIG good for someone else.

It's special thing you did that I am sure made a bit difference in someone's life.

You Go Guy,
Dinah

#49424 04-05-2003 05:18 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Danny's post shows that he has learned a valuable lesson and incorporated it into his life, as I see have many of the posters that followed his comment. In thinking of what makes a life complete, even whole, it is the incorporation of a simple process that returns more than it costs. And it is this

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#49425 04-06-2003 03:44 PM
OP Offline

You guys have me blushing. All I did was take a little bit of my time to go visit a guy that I am very fond of.

Danny

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics