Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#49273 12-26-2007 11:14 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jean,

They gave me a syringe to insert into the nose tube and all I had to do was suck up the liquid in the syringe and inject into the tube. I could push (inject) as fast as I wanted and it didn't take anytime to hydrate or feed myself so I don't understand your "taking to long" comment?

Remember I'm not advocating one over the other, I'm just explaining my nose tube experiences. The goal is the same for either and one, the nose tube, is usually intended for short term use or when the patient can't have a surgical procedure.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#49274 12-26-2007 01:52 PM
ord_dfw Offline OP
Senior Member (75+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (75+ posts)

David, he has to pour the Jevity can into an IV bag and then it drips into the tube. I am not sure why it takes so long - maybe he can increase the flow.

He decided to stick with the nose tube. His doctor insisted that he have at least 8 Jevity cans per day. Despite gentle reminders from his wife, my mom and me, he was only getting 3-4 cans a day. I think and hope that Joe will listen to his doctor!

The doctor also gave him some sort of topical cream (prescription - sorry I don't know the name) for his terribly sore neck. The radiation really burned his neck and his skin is bright red and cracking. It is just so hard to know what to do to try to help ... sometimes it seems like it is just best to leave him be for a while.

Radiation ended 12/21. I am not sure what IMRT means. He had the same kind of radiation as the chef from Chicago had.

Thanks.

Jean

* Root for Joe *
Sister of Joe (43, non-smoker/chewer; occ. drinker). Mouth problem 3/07. Diag with Stage I 6/07. Diag with Stage IV 9/07. In EPOC at Univ of Chicago. Cisplatin/cetuximab 1/wk x 8. Then, IMRT 5x/wk x 7 and weekly chemo. Done 12/21/07. Looks good as of 4/08, 7/08, 8/08, 1/09.
#49275 12-26-2007 06:19 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Jean,

My husband came within 5 pounds of medically needing a PEG tube. I'm not sure if the two weeks post treatment were tougher on him or me. Watching someone whither away is terrifying.

Even though the docs gave him the impression that it was his call, they would have intervened if his weight hit a certain point. Although, they were relying on me to provide daily weigh ins.

Regarding the sore neck, if you look at the icons by the date...and, if you send me an e-mail address I can show you a pretty amazing before and after picture. There was a point in time that I thought my husband would carry his RT scar for life. It is truly amazing how the body can heal itself.

For the sore, we used a saline soak and aquafor. We had an rx too, but that didn't work as well. Although, everyone is different.

I took pics throughout my husband's recovery, sometimes he needed some visual reminders that he was indeed making great progress.

The first 2 weeks post treatment were extremely traumatic. One of those weeks, his primary input was IV fluids.

I wasn't so gentle with the reminders. Your brother should have daily fluid and calorie goals set by his medical team. When my husband's mouth was really bad, his docs eased up on the calories for a week, although they also arranged for home health care to give him IV fluids and to monitor him daily.

IMRT is explained more on the main part of this site. You can put in a search for it. When most people refer to RT here and they've been treated within the past few years they are likely referring to IMRT.

Good luck!

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.

I have a Peg tube. I got before I started treatment. It has been 2 months since I completed treatment and I still have it. It is a sight, but I can not imagine having one on the front of my face. It is hard enough dealing with hair loss for all to see. I would have went with the peg. I did not want either, but my fiancee talked me into it, and I sure need it.

Age 30 nonsmoker nondrinker HPV+tumor on tonsils stage2 1node peg chemo2 rad8wks TX over 10/29/07
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I had the nose tube following surgery, what an irritant. The drugs kept my mind off the pain from the surgery, but the constant pressure of that junk crammed up my nose was not real fun, and it was really a cumbersome process taking fluids through it due to the size of the tube. When I had to go back and they decided on Radiation and chemo I really wasn't given an option (Good thing I had not found any discussion on tubes at that point!! LOL) I was told that I may or may not need it but it was better to have it put in prior to treatment than try to have it done halfway through treatment when I would be weaker, immune system's shot, etc. All I can say is about 5 weeks into treatment that tube became my best friend!! It helped sustain me post treatment by supplementing my calorie intake post treatment. I agree, I didn't really want it in the beginning but I'm sure glad I had it once I needed it.

SCC right side BOT/FOM; DX 1-25-06; Neck dissection/25% of tongue removed 2-17-06. Stage 2 Recurrence 7-06: IMRTX35 & 3X Cisplatin ended 10-18-06. Tumor found 03/18/13; Partial Glossectomy 03/28/13 left lateral tongue. Nov. 2014; headaches,lump on left side of throat. Radical Neck Dissection 12-17-14; Tumor into nerves/jugular; Surgery successful, IMRTX30 & 7X Erbotux. Scan 06-03-15; NED! 06-02-16; Mets to left Humerus bone and lesion on lungs-here We go again! Never, Ever Give Up!

**** PASSED AWAY 10/8/16 ****

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users