Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Margaret, one of John's biggest challanges throuout his journey was the constant thick, stringy mucous. I promise the suction machine will help! Insist that someone get you a preescription for one. We even installed an adapter in our car so that we could take it on the road. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
mhupe Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi Amy,

Right now, they are thinking that the thick, stringy stuff isn't going to last long beyond radiation. He's got 6 treatments left (not that I'm counting or anything :rolleyes: )

How long post RT did John struggle with this problem?

Yesterday, Dan started to have really icky, smelly brown stuff come out of his nose. They said it was dead tissues and cells and stuff. It scared the heck out of him.

And, he's been off the thrush medication for 1 day and now it's back again! This is a road so full of ups and downs. Sunday he was doing good...yesterday, not so good.

Marcus

I'm glad your feeling better. I understand it takes awhile for all for all of the energy to return. And, it's good that you are starting to eat foods--even if they are limited. I hope you will keep posting about your progress.

Thanks again for the help,

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Margaet, concerning the muscous, we are 11 wks past rads and I can say my hubby is still spitting but maybe 10% of what is was. His seemed to last longer than most. The thick stuff subsided maybe 6wks post treatment. It was the most annoying part for him. I truly understand about your hubby not wanting to try anything in his mouth, mine felt the same. Concerning hydration he would have it by IV 2-3 times a week at the MO office. Ask them for fluids it really helps a lot. Have you tried a warm mist humidifer? that is what worked for us or should I say helped a bit. Nothing we tried really cut the ugly stuff. Time is the only thing. Hang in there. There is an end to this.

CG to husband 53,39 rads. 3 rds cisplastin ended 6/2/07 Tonsils removed 1.10.07 11 of 20 nodes positive- lump removed on rt. side of neck 1/26/07 cancer of nasal pharnyx TXN2MX 2nd rd. of chemo- carbo/taxol on 6/11/07
mhupe Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi LJ,

Yikes...11 weeks. But, glad to hear it is a lot less than what is was awhile back. We have a cool mist humidifier...is the warm one better?

I just spoke to the MO office today as he hasn't taken in more than 8 ounces today...he got hydration yesterday but am going to try to get more this week.

How is your husband doing with calories and fluid intake now?

Margaret
----------
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
JAM Offline

Margaret, I just took some stuf down to the basement and lo and behold, there was the suction machine! [I thought I had given it to the Nursing Home when I took the 2Cal HN to them. I would be happy to UPS the machine to you to see if it would give Dan some relief. You can send it back whenever. I wouldn't count on the mucous going away till well after rad is over. E-mail your address if you want to try this machine. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
mhupe Offline OP
OP Offline

I just sent you an e-mail, Amy. Thank you!

Margaret
----------

Hi Margaret,
We didn't seem to find the right balance for the baking soda and salt water. I asked my mom's nurse prac for a rx of sodium chloride, she happily gave it to us. This works so much better for her.
I read your posts and it seems my mom is following the same symptoms course and around the same time following treatments. She only has 9 more rad outpatient txs and 2 more Erbitux txs; then she will get some time off for good behaviour! >>>just trying to inject a little humor. I was told today that she'll get close to a month off, then more scans, not sure which will be ordered, then the brachetherapy.
She is starting to burn, she says she looks like she has a "5 o'clock shadow" on her face. I told her she still looks beautiful and it will all go away with healing.
I almost forgot, they gave my mom a rx for tussionex today, has Dan been on this? Did it help at all?
Hope you are both doing well. Hope everyone here is feeling good!

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.

My mouth sores were so severe that ANY amount of salt or even acidity from fruit (even cantelope or even smoothies)would send me through the roof. I just had to make sure that I hacked it loose in the morning when I woke up prior to eating anything. I just used lukewarm water. Morphine was was my friend also.

As Amy mentioned many have had very good success with the suction machines.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
mhupe Offline OP
OP Offline

Dan is a lot like you, Gary. Salt drove him nuts. He is able to tolerate a little warm water and baking soda, but when I tried the salt he went through the roof in pain.

We are giving the suction machine a go. (Many, many thanks to Amy).

He is also using Caphsol.

Donna, what is tussionex? Sounds like your mom is diong well. How is she managing with the Erbitux?

Margaret
----------
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Margaret -
I've been off the board for some time, but finally back. Like most neck radiation patients, Kenny (my husband) had a terrible time with the thick, suffocating, mucous. The backing soda/salt warm water gargle solution did give him some relief. The recipe we got from our RO was 1 tablespoon baking soda + 1 teaspoon salt to 12 ozs warm water. He gargled (as best he could) for weeks with it. It really soothed his mouth and helped to keep the thick stuff off his teeth (he kept all of his). On top of that his RO prescibed a "Swish & Swallow" concoction that really helped to 'numb' his mouth when the thrush & sores hit.

Unfortunately, Kenny had really bad mucous for about 2 1/2 months after radiation treatments. Remember - radiation is accumulating and will continue to 'work' for weeks after the actual treatments end.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. In September we are celebrating Kenny's 2 year cancer free anniversary. He is doing terrific and managing to get on with his life.

Hang in there!

Your caregiver in arms! Carol

Carol R - caregiver to hubby Ken. Stage 4, SCC, BOT. 6/05 dx, 9/25/05 last tx, 5/06 stroke. Four years cancer free! Still taking things 1 day at a time.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics