Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi everyone,
My dad has been in and out of the hospital for the past few days and we're all a bit nervous. He's had 4 chemo sessions so far (Erbitux weekly, 2 weeks of taxol, 1 carboplation). Last Thursday, he had a tooth pulled in preparation for his radiation treatment. On Friday, he got chills around 2, spiked a fever around 5, and I took him to the ER. They did tests on his blood and he was not found to have any infections. He was given IV fluids and antibiotics and released around 11. The next day, the same thing happened again. He went back to the ER and then was admitted overnight. Now it's Sunday and he had a THIRD session of chills followed by a fever. He's had a headache throughout.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? Does anyone have any advice??? This site has been very helpful thus far and I'm already very appreciative of all the knowledge I've gained here. I hope someone can help.

Stephanie -
Father (60yr., nonsmoker, social drinker) dx 6/18/07 w/ Stage4a SCC tonsil. Mets to 3 LN. Induct. chemo (taxol,carboplatin,erbitux) 6/28-8/14; Concurrent Chemo(cisplatin&erbitux) w/ IMRT x 44 8/20-10/2. Surgery to come.
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Stephanie- your post is one that most of us are hesitant to answer because there could be any number of things going on. Some of what you described happened to my husband on many occasions- undetermined fever[ along with chills] and headaches. Some of those episodes were attributed to the chemo, some were attributed to "picking us a virus", some were never diagnosed. If he hasn't been around "sick people", it could well be a reaction to one of the chemo drugs he is on. Hate to tell you, but welcome to the world of "not knowing for sure what the heck is happening". There will be many days it takes nerves of steel to be a caregiver. Get yourself prepared. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Stephanie,
I want to commend you for doing the right thing though. Any time a fever exceeds 100.5 degrees he needs to go to the ER, stat.

This is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed by your medical oncologist as soon as possible.

It does sound like a negative reaction to the chemo protocol. I have heard other reports of headache in conjunction with Erbitux

See: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100005117.html

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I have also heard of chills/fever associated with Erbitux -- and some chemo drugs can also cause these problems. However there could be low-grade pneumonia or even, other infections which would cause these symptoms.

The suggestion that the MO get involved asap is correct. My husband had a serious blood infection -- or rather, one that could have been serious or even life-threatening (multi-antibiotic-resistant Staph) if the ER and his oncologists had not gotten him into hospital and on intravenous antibiotics stat. (He was feeling OK the next day, really amazing). His only initial symptoms were chills and a low fever, also feeling *really* rocky suddenly (not that he wasn't already feeling pretty bad, it was his last week of radiation). Symptoms of a serious problem can be very subtle.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
OP Offline

Thank you all for your replies. I think Amy hit the nail on the head. They never did find a "source" for his issues, but they seem to have subsided and they're moving forward with his fifth chemo treatment today. Part of our concern and frustration was that this all happened over the weekend, so my dad's normal docs were not available.
Anyway, thanks for the insight. I hope you're all doing well.

Stephanie -
Father (60yr., nonsmoker, social drinker) dx 6/18/07 w/ Stage4a SCC tonsil. Mets to 3 LN. Induct. chemo (taxol,carboplatin,erbitux) 6/28-8/14; Concurrent Chemo(cisplatin&erbitux) w/ IMRT x 44 8/20-10/2. Surgery to come.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Don't know if this is relevant but I remember feeling COLD throughout my Tx which was during last summer in Florida. I never ran a fever and I don't know when it started but I know it lasted months after Tx ended.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Hi Stephanie,

My husband has been running a daily cycle of fevers, chills and sweats since he started Erbitux 5 treatments ago.

Fevers are frustrating, because even if your medical team thinks there is a chance it could be related to the chemo, they have to take the fevers very seriously because there is a chance it could be something else...and, that something else could be fatal.

They have tried many things to thwart my husband's fevers but nothing seems to work. Even though they don't think he has an infection, they have had him on antibiotics through most of his treatments because of the fevers. Although, his blood counts remain strong.

Our medical team has been watching his cycles and now I don't have to call every time he has a fever. But, I did always follow their instructions to call as I didn't want to ever make the decision on whether he was dealing with an infection or a side effect.

My husband found it very draining. As we are reaching the end of treatments, the fevers/chills are lasting for a much shorter period of time. Although, the sweating has gotten really bad...to the point of him having to change clothes 6 times a day.

Unlike your dad, my husband did not experience headaches.

I think you are doing the right thing by getting your dad's fevers checked out. My husband hated extra lab work or weekend visits to the hospital. But, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Good luck to you and your dad,

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.

I'm glad you Dad's condition has turned around. Be careful for fever and chills. I would suggest that if these occur during Chemo or Radiation, immediately stop by the ER and just have them checked. Like in the case noted above by Gail Mac. Livestrong!!

Sincerely,
Monic

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users