Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#48384 06-26-2007 03:34 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Billy, it is very difficult to drink alot of fluids and also drink our meals. The 350 calorie count cans makes that very difficult. I was drinking a half a case of water and trying to take in atleast 2500 calories with ensure plus and I felt like I would burst. It also kept me very nauseous. That's when I found David's post about the Carnation Instant Breakfast VHC Lactose Free drink. It has 560 calories in just 8 ounces. I combine a can of it with a can of ensure plus because the taste of the CIB was to stong for me but I didn't stay as bloated. I drank 3 16 oz meals a day and started feeling much better. I had my pharmacy order the CIB for me. If not you can order them yourself. They are a bit expensive but its still less than a trip to McDonalds. And it is definately less than the cost of malnutrition.

Also your dr. should be able to prescribe you home health to give you fluids. That is what mine did. I had fluids the last couple of weeks of treatment, and the week after. My dr. had home health do it on the weekends and the week after tx. I didn't feel bad but he said I was on the edge and all of my counts were really low so better safe than sorry. It saves alot of sickness and it saves the trip to the emergency room, and hospital. Good luck

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee
#48385 06-26-2007 03:56 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Billy, plese read the content information on your Propel water label and compare it to Pedialyte and Gatoraide. These two are proven to help with dehydration-I don't know what the Propel benefits are, but it may have stuff in it that you don't need to deal with. Juices DO NOT take the place of water-unless you mix them with water- ask the Rad or chemo nurses to break down for you the amount of and what kind of fluids they need yu to take in daily and write that down. Ask what kind of I.V. you would get, if you went into the E.R. for dehydration. Knowledge is power in this fight.
By the way, while soups provide variety, it is very hard to get very many calories with most soups unless you load them with whole milk, cream, butter, cheese, etc. Can you tolerate V-8 or tomato juice through the peg? You are sounding strong, Billy, keep it up! Amy in Oz

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users