Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi,

Sam is down to six radiation treatments and one more chemo session. After I posted about his experience at the halfway point he rapidly developed the mouth sores, an extremely sensitive tongue and couldn't take anything orally. Thankfully he had the PEG in and started using it 3x/day. He's using liquid Tylenol w/codeine, Magic Mouthwash and Pink Lady mouth rinses to handle the discomfort. The blood panel prior to his chemo session last Tuesday showed low white and red cell counts but they proceeded with the cisplatin at half the normal strength. The folks at the BC Cancer Agency tested again today and his platelets are back up. The chemo oncologist told us at Tuesday's appointment that this protocol is one of the toughest to endure and that "just when you can't take the pain anymore, it'll get better"...he also told us that it would probably feel better around 2 weeks post-radiation which I think might be optimistic given what I've been reading on this forum.

Regards

Elaine

Caregiver to husband 43, non-smoker, social drinker diagnosed Mar07 SCC tongue lymph node involvement. Started treatment May 2/07 35 radiation tx with 7 Cisplatin boosters completed June 22/07. Clear PETScan Oct 07
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Elaine, sometimes it is the people who have problems who post here most often, which is as it should be. That said, I certainly felt a lot better two weeks after the end of rad/chemo. By that time the flow of "wallpaper paste" had abated and I had considerably more energy. Long before the rad burns had healed, I was out and about and having a great time. So be optimistic.

One thing I want to say with great emphasis is that your husband should not feel ANY pain! There are very good meds available and he or you should definitely let the nurses and/or doc know if Sam is hurting. Pain only delays healing, physically and emotionally. There are lots of meds stronger than what he is using, so if necessary, do not hesitate to ask for them.

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Joanna and Elaine,

Wallpaper paste...perfect description only void of taste, not that I know what wp paste taste like.

I felt like a new person in my 3rd week post. Even though I was weak as a new born kitten, I knew the I had finally walked out of the tunnel.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I concur. The first two weeks were rough, but week three things started to turn around rapidly.

I had mucous issues but never as severe as some here. My biggest problem was the mucousitis..my mouth was one big blister from my lips all the way down my throat. One of my Doctors even commented that he was astounded I'd gotten through without a PEG with my throat in that condition.

Hang in. Feeling better is not that far away now
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23