Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update you on Sam's progress as we finish the fourth week of treatments. He has had 20 radiation treatments and has 15 more to go, with 4 of 7 chemo treatments completed. With the help of Carnation VHC, Ensure, Boost in various smoothies, etc, and then TwoCal in the feeding tube in the evening, he has actually managed to gain a little of the weight lost during the diagnosis/testing stage (around 3 lbs).

So far he hasn't taken any pain medication as he has only a little discomfort in his throat when swallowing, but the sunburn red spreads a little more each day on his face and neck and he is tired most of the time.

A new development from Sunday and last night was during the evening feeding tube session he's become nauseous and had to discontinue the feed. The first time he actually had the shivers and threw up but the second time he cut the feed short sooner. The doctor has prescribed something for it which we'll try out tonight. He also said at today's check up that Sam is doing remarkably well physically and they had to book a CT simulation in order to adjust the mask for some reduction in the tumour.

The kids still insist on their nightly torture of Mom, although the toddler is getting better going down down for the night (after a long hysterical session where I closed the door on her). Unfortunately the baby who turned six months old right at the "turn" for Sam's treatments has learned to roll over and has started doing it several times each night in his crib.

Best wishes,

Elaine

Caregiver to husband 43, non-smoker, social drinker diagnosed Mar07 SCC tongue lymph node involvement. Started treatment May 2/07 35 radiation tx with 7 Cisplatin boosters completed June 22/07. Clear PETScan Oct 07
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Elaine,

This site is for people that need help, so go away...just kidding...that's great. Let hope he continues to fare well.

Also my hat is off to you guys for having a 6 mo old and a toddler at his advanced age. I had/have 3 and their long gone, except for the weekly I need phone calls. Don't think I would want to have a youngin now, whew!!!

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Sounds like hs is doing great! My hubby has completed 24 rads and 1 chemo session (has his final chemo next week). I am so pleased that he is still eating real food and has gained another lb. this week. So far he has not needed to use the PEG. His main problem is that his neck on either side is very "itchy". The cream helps.

Pam

Caregiver of husband, age 57, non-smoker, DX: 4/07 w/undifferentiaed SCC, TX IMRT X37 @ 200, Chemo Cisplatin, 5FU X2. TREATMENTS COMPLETED ON 6/20/07!!
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Great to see he is doing so well. I am a week behind him in my treatment, so the inspiration is most welcome!

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!

My husband will begin his radiation and chemo treatments within the next 2 weeks. It's a little scary to me. I was happy to read your post because my husbands cancer and treatment is similar to your husband's. From what we have heard, going this far without pain meds is very encouraging. I hope the treatments continue to go very well for your husband.

Margaret

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23