Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Max Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I had surgery to remove a tumor in my left tonsil, as well as my tonsils, back in Feb. After healing, I had some dental work done and then started radiation treatments.

I just finished radiation the treatment (30 of them) this week. I did not have any chemo.

I have noticed (the last couple of days) that the eyesight in my left eye is a lot worse than before the treatments began. If I wear my contacts, I cannot get focused with that eye. If I don

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

hi Max,

Yes, I have noticed my eye sight has changed too.

I thought I would wait for a good 6 months to see if it corrected it self. I was guessing it could be brought on by all the stress, treatment, & Meds. and ect.

Have a good day
DM
DM

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015

Afer Barry went through his chemoradiation treatment at Hopkins, they tested his eyes at the Wilmer Eye Institute as he felt he was having certain visual changes somewhat consistent with very early cataracts (more difficulty resolving color and details under low light -- noticed on our January birding trip to Mexico) -- compared to pre-treatment. His RO said that his eyes were not in the treatment field but here is always some scatter and low levels of radiation do reach beyond the boundaries, even with tomo-IMRT. Of course it has been shown repeatedly that unprotected exposure to sunlight over long periods is relayed to higher cataract incidence.

Anyway, the eye tests were thorough and extensive and did not show anything out of the ordinary, but as Barry says, they do not test you for the visual acuity that birders need! Hopefully these minor changes are all that will result, if in truth they were the result of treatment at all and not just age-related deterioration.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

I had my eyes examined 5 months after treatment. I had developed an astigmatism (sp). I guess it is not uncommon after either radiation or chemo. Only my left eye was effected and that wis the opposite side of my cancer. Go figure. But I hav eheard it is not uncommon.

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23