Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
garyock Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

One important 'goal' I forgot to mention above was .. To make it thru this thing WITHOUT DOING THE HOSPITAL 5 DAYS A WEEK THING. And, it's looking like I'm gonna make that one with only ONE week to go. That is a BIGGIE to me. I just flat don't like hospitals. Way too many sick people laying around feeling miserable and bored.

It's 1:30 Sat morning (I do keep some real odd hours these days) and feeling pretty darn good and ready to take on that last week. No major issues popped up this week other than the fatigue thing and have been sleeping about 12-14 hrs a day. The good news is my sleeping has been much easier than say about the 2nd or 3rd week into this thing. Only have to get up every couple hrs or so to go to the bathroom (from the hydration I'm taking). The mucus thing has not been that much of a problem (thank you mucinex).

My 'sunburn' seems to have peaked for the week and not too bad. I've been pilling on the Aquaphor 'goop' and that seems to have helped a lot. A helpful hint on applying this stuff. Use a 'surgical' glove...then when your finished just throw the glove away. That stuff is super goopy and is almost impossible to get off your hands.

The swallowing pain seems to come and go. One day it hurts a bit....the next no problem??? Many more good days than bad.

I had thrush going there for awhile...but the pills the Dr prescribed seems to have taken care of that.

Can't say enough for the Scandishakes (at least they have worked very well for me). I mix up about 3 packages EVERY morning in a blender with some protein powder to boot....then my goal is to finsih it off by end of day. That's about 1900 calories (counting the protein powder). They go down very easy. Plus the bag or two of 'stuff' a day the home care people set me up with every week that I hook up thru my 'port' (another must have). I'm gettin pretty darn good at hooking this thing up and getting it flowing. Maybe I can be a 'home nurse' part time after this??? Another little helpful hint....put up a couple of those little hooks in strategic places you can screw into ceiling to use to hang the bags. That works better than the flimsy stand they sent. And, I feel I'm getting the hydration/nutrition needed each day.

I'm still losing weight (at about 320 now...that's 70 lbs from 1st of the year...and 50 lbs from start of treatments). I keep telling the Drs..hey, a person my size to begin with loses weight on a 2,000 calorie diet a day. My blood pressure is still very good and my blood counts each week are in the good range....so nobody is freaking out too much other than my nutritionist. I feel good so let her fret.

SO...ONE MORE FREAKING WEEK OF THIS STUFF...BRING IT ON!!!!!

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Way to go Gary! Best of luck for that last week.

Give me a call when you've got the taste buds back, and it'll be my treat at the new Famous Dave's Barbeque up in Kenosha.

Hang in there, and don't hesitate to call.

Good Health,

Chuck

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."
garyock Offline OP
OP Offline

OK...you're on Chuck. But, something tells me it may be a while.

Every since you told me about the BBQ joint I've been having dreams about how it will taste once I get back in the saddle taste buds wise.

YUM...YUM

Really something to look forward to.

garyock Offline OP
OP Offline

IT'S A DONE DEAL.....almost.

Just finished my last double rad/chemo week. That's 50...count 'em FIFTY rad treatments. And, believe it or not I have ONE stinking rad treatment left in about 10 days. But, the chemo is done and I can throw this damn 5FU pump against the wall or something.

I did it without checking into the hospital which I'm proud of. It was a TON of driving. 50 treatments x 60 miles round trip equals 3,000 miles.....like driving from Boston to LA??? But, it was worth it not having to stay in stinking hospital laying around all day being bored to death.

The only issue I'm having right now is the fatigue thing. Really tired. I'll tell you those last couple round trips to CC where a little tough this past Thur/Fri. But, I made it and it's a done deal now.

My face (from just below nose to lower neck) has all new skin ... pink and smooth as a baby's butt.
Haven't had to shave in over 2 months now...that's a good perk.

Since treatments are now done (or almost...just one stinking rad treatment) ... it may be time move this thread over to the AFTER TREATMENTS board to continue the story.

It's been my goal all along to provide just one man's story thru this ordeal with the hope it will help someone else down the road.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hey Gary,

Congratulations, great news and I will be looking for you in the "After Treatment" section. You are certainly an inspiration.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users