Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Glad your Dad is done now Tracy-Now the healing will begin. Slowly but surely. I can understand the anticipation on the waiting for the scan. My Mom won't get hers for another month or so in the meantime we are just hoping for the best. It is great that he got that many chemos in. Hopefully it got every last cancer cell in his whole body! Keep us posted on his progress. Don't forget the rule of thumb on this board= 1 month of recovery for each week of radiation. I did mention that to my Mom a few times because she thought she was going to snap back overnite. It gets frustrating for them when they do not make the progress as quickly as they expected. So if he starts to get bummed remind him of this rule of thumb.

Shawna-When in Oct. is the scan? Keep us posted on the results. All three of us have parents ending treatment around the same time! I hope that in no time they are all feeling healthy again!

Tami

Tami
Mom has Bot scc stage T1/N1= stage 3 dx 6/27/05 treatment IMRT & chemo (docetaxel, cisplatin, 5FU) ended treatment 8/22/05 Cancer free as of Feb 2006
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I believe the scan is like the 26th of October-then the tumor board meets, then we go meet the ENT. Last night he ate a baked potato, salmon, milk-he was very excited. He's going to banter with the docs tomorrow to remove his PEG. Hoping for the best for all of you and your 'rents.

Dad Treated for T2N1M0 Tonsil Cancer August 2005. 35 IMRT radiation, 3 doses Cisplatin. Selective Modified Neck Dissection November.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Tracy,
Is your Dad still on pain meds? The constipation may be a combination of pain meds, liquid diet and hydration. If he hasn't had a movement in over a week, it's time to get serious about it. You would be surprised how many folks show up in ICU due to an impaction.(stool so solid the patient CAN'T move it out.) Not trying to alarm you, just a precaution to catch this sort of thing early and prevent a real problem later. Pain meds slow down the peristalsis or movement of the intestinal tract, liquid diets sometimes don't have the "bulk" the intestine needs to work things along, and hydration helps keep things soft. Plus, if he isn't up and about much, that's just another thing that will gum up the works.
Talk to the docs about these things and see what they suggest.

Andrea

SCC L lat tongue,Dx 9/15/05 T1N0MX L MND and L lateral hemiglossectomy 10/03/05. Recurrence 11/15/06 2nd surgery 12/04/06 hemiglossectomy 3rd surgery 01/15/07 tonsillectomy Radiation 01/25/07 to 03/08/07 3-D/CRT X 30
tracy33 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone. Well my dad is finally home after two weeks of being in the hospital. His face looks awesome and the mucus has left somewhat (just a little hear and there). The only problem now is the swelling in his lower legs, ankles and feet. They're huge and he's having a hard time walking. All the doctors keep telling us is put them up but nothing is helping. He's now in pain from this. Will it ever end? How much more suffering does he have to go through? Has anyone experienced this problem?

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Tracy --

My mother had this problem (quite seriously, too -- it made walking very hard) when she was in clinical trials at NIH for her chronic lymphocytic leukemia. In her case, it was from detrioration of the lymphatic system coupled with (frankly) too much hydration by IV -- as soon as they hooked her up, in a day or so her legs, feet and ankles were huge! She just couldn't get rid of this excess fluid despite diuretics. Eventually it resolved when she got ill for a few days with pneumonia and they put her into ICU (she wasn't comotose or anything, just into ICU to closely monitor the infection and control exposure to other illnesses). Among the drugs she was given at that time was l-dopamine, plus a slew of antibiotics, and in the three days the excess fluid went away! I wish I could say that the docs had an obvious explanation but they were as puzzled (and relieved) as we were. After that she was fine for several years and never had a recurrence.

This may not relate other than your dad just may be having problems getting rid of excess fluids which he may have been given by IV -- have they tried a diuretic with him? (Assume that, unlike my mom, he has no lymphatic problems.)

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

It seems odd Tracy, there are NUMEROUS reasons that could be going on. I'm with Gail, ask THE DOCTOR for a diuretic that can pull some fluid out. Prepare him to pee alot. It is amazing what you have to ask for and don't be afraid to do it. The worst that could happen is they say no.

Dad Treated for T2N1M0 Tonsil Cancer August 2005. 35 IMRT radiation, 3 doses Cisplatin. Selective Modified Neck Dissection November.
tracy33 Offline OP
OP Offline

He was on some kind of diuretic in the hospital but it didn't seem to help (he did pee a lot though). I'm just hoping that he feels better soon. I think if it wasn't for his legs he would be feeling pretty good after all he's been through. He's getting around with a walker now. I keep thinking positive. Eventually everything will get better.

Take Care All!
Please keep him in your thoughts
Tracy

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Tracy,
It may be just nothing- but as regards to the constipation for such a long period is not usual. Well again I am not a doctor-but ask your treating doctor if a Gastro should be brought in as he would be the ideal person to give you a pausible explaination on this issue.
Ananth

"FIGHT AND YOU SHALL OVERCOME"

Tracy --

I also recall they put my mother on digitalis while she was in ICU -- she didn't really have a heart problem but had a slight murmur from a childhood bout with rheumatic fever -- this may also have helped her clear the fluids.

I would ask the doctor for help -- what can happen is that an extreme buildup of fluid can damage the lymphatic system so it needs to be looked at.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics