Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Tracy,

My mom broke out in a rash all over her body it was caused by a reaction to the chemo. She went to the emergency room and they gave her benadryl and it went away pretty quickly. I know how difficult this whole process is but it will get better...

Take care,
Dani

Originally joined OCF on 12/12/03 as DaniO or Danijams
Dani-Mom SCC BOT & floor of mouth surgery-recur then surgery/rads & chemo completed 3/04
surgery 11/06 to remove dead bone & replace jaw w/ leg bone & titanium plate
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Tracy, my dad (who is totally done and getting better every day) had fevers of up to 102. It was awful seeing him shudder when the fevers would break. It seems odd to say, but we took it as a good thing that there was nothing specific that the MD's isolated as causing the fever, this is a not an unusual thing during this treatment. After touching base with many of my oncology buddies, we have had discussions that just having cancer in general causes fevers and when tumors die, they release lots of icky substances that may increase basal temperature. These are only discussions and thoughts, so please don't apply this as fact to your fathers situation. I will say that with a little acetaminophen and Boat loads of hydration in the tube or via the iv, my dad's fevers were obliterated. Just keep thinking that your dad will likely turn around in a couple days--that's what I did and that's what happened. My dad spent a week in the hospital then another unexpected early stay. Those fluids can do a ton. Oh, also, I THINK (my feeling) is that going through all of this your body tends to be in a basic dehydrated state which also contributes to increased temperature. Take a deep breath and pray for your pops. My dad's rad was delayed as well.

Dad Treated for T2N1M0 Tonsil Cancer August 2005. 35 IMRT radiation, 3 doses Cisplatin. Selective Modified Neck Dissection November.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Although fevers may be common, I was told to go to the ER if I ever had a fever that went past 100.5 degrees. When the immune system is really compromised, opportunistic infections can easily invade and that's why the doctors are so concerned with fevers at this stage. Hydration is important all of the time - 2-3 liters every day.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Tracy,

I don't recall if your dad was taking Ethyol (amifostine) or not. I developed a rash that kept getting worse and fevers that spiked to 104. I was in the hospital a few days in a row and they said some people develop a reaction to it. I didn't believe them but when I stopped, the fever and rash disappeared. I had 3 bags of fluids every day for many weeks.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
tracy33 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to everyone who responded about the rash. My dad still has it and now it's moved to his back.

His arm has also swelled. Has this happened to anyone? How about constipation? He hasn't had a bowel movement probably for a week 1/2. The docs keep pumping him with medicine but nothing is working. Treatment still can't be done. They're hoping to resume on Monday now. Last treatment was Monday morning 9/19. Has anyone gone this long with postponement?

It looks like he'll be in the hospital over the weekend.

Ed - yes he was taking Ethyol but not since Monday.

Shawna - How long was your dad in the hospital. How long was treatment postponed?

Tracy

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Tracy, I had to postpone the last full week of my treatments due to a machine breakdown. The only problem that it caused was that I started to feel better then had to go in for the last 7 treatments.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

My dad was in the hospital for one week. His treatment was postponed for that whole week. I or his brother stayed with him every night. There was also an incident where his treatment was cancelled for a day due to an unexpected issue with the machine. We were a bit nervous about it. BUT--today he had his follow up ENT check up and he "couldn't feel anything, excellent results". My dad has fresh, new baby skin on his neck after the radiation burns have healed. It's kind of like the skin us women would like to have on our face (esp after all of this stress). We get our follow up scan the end of October. How are his blood counts? What are his White Blood cells doing?
Odd about the rash? I'm sorry, is he getting IMRT? Have the fevers broken? Bring him some movies, MAKE him walk the halls.

Dad Treated for T2N1M0 Tonsil Cancer August 2005. 35 IMRT radiation, 3 doses Cisplatin. Selective Modified Neck Dissection November.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Tracy-
My Mom did have a 2 week delay and then after the 2nd treatment they cancelled it. They felt she got too toxic so they did not want to risk it again. Are they giving him a laxative? How about an xray of his lower gi? They should be checking to make sure he does not have a blockage.

What type of chemo did he get- Cisplatin? How many more left?

The swelling can be a result of the chemo (bloating). Is he getting out of bed at all and moving?

Hang in there.....it will get better!
Tami

Tami
Mom has Bot scc stage T1/N1= stage 3 dx 6/27/05 treatment IMRT & chemo (docetaxel, cisplatin, 5FU) ended treatment 8/22/05 Cancer free as of Feb 2006
tracy33 Offline OP
OP Offline

My dad finished his last treatment this morning. He was sent home on Tuesday but 2 hours later went back to the ER because of his fever. He's still in the hospital but he's so happy that radiation is done and that he completed his 6 1/2 week treatment (2x a day). His oncologist gave him the "head mask" as a momento. He may have to stay for a while but we're all ok with that. The rash seems to be going away as well. The docs seems to believe that he had an allergic reaction to penicillin. In 3 weeks they want to do a catscan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Shawna - I'm so happy for your dad and family. How long has it been since radiation was stopped? What do you mean by "couldn't feel anything"? I know that my dad did get blood on Saturday and his white blood cell count was low.

Tami - I'm not sure about the name of his chemo either. He's completed 6 out of 7 and his last one was on 9/12. He his getting out of bed and walking around but his ankles and legs are still a bit swollen. The docs want him to have his legs up.

Take Care all. As always, you're all in my thoughts.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Oh, what started this fiasco is that my dad felt a lump up in his jaw line-It was amazing all through treatment to periodically poke at it and feel it disappear. And, when the MD's to the physical examination they thoroughly feel the chains of lymphnodes for enlargement. My dad gets his scan the end of October-they like to wait. At that point they will decide whether or not to do the neck dissection. Thank you for the happiness, we are very relieved-what a trip. His radiation was stopped 3 weeks ago. He is back to mowing his 5 acres (walking) and now his goal is to get the PEG removed. He's slowly introducing foods again, and he even looks like himself again. I CAN NOT believe what I saw my strong hero go through and I CAN NOT believe how my prayers for strength were answered, it is amazing, just amazing. Of course there is that grief that my dad and us will have to live kind of on the edge now. He is looking into going to a counselor to help with the emotional side of things. Tracy, I saw my dad in the scariest condition ever, and I am just shocked how the tenacity gets these patients through. Wow, everyone is so strong.
I am so happy he's done, that is just AWESOME. he won't feel better right away remember.
Keep trucking girl, I love Chicago this time of year.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics