Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#45347 08-06-2005 04:35 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

After the Oncology appt Friday, we got home and my dad spiked a fever of 102.1-poor guy. Ended up in ER-all of his blood work fine-
They started oral Anitbiotics-and sent us home (per our requet)he is being admitted Monday for Chemo anyway.
Did any one else have transient fever spikes? It seems that when his pain control is bad-he shivers and spikes a temp. All of his labs are normal too-not dehydrated. He is most likely going for the PEG he has a question-are you able to at minimum rinse your mouth with the peg in?
We are hanging in there-at least he loves his water! Again, any additional tips great-he has a huge sore on his lip (amongst others) and it takes about 1 hour to get all of his pills in!
You are all my little angels-we thank you. :p

Dad Treated for T2N1M0 Tonsil Cancer August 2005. 35 IMRT radiation, 3 doses Cisplatin. Selective Modified Neck Dissection November.
#45348 08-06-2005 12:41 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Sorry about your dad. While I cannot answer your question, I can say that the peg worked very well for my brother. He didn't lose much weight (maybe 5 pounds, which he needed to lose)and he recovered well. I only post this because I think the peg can be very helpful for some people, especially at helping them get the nutrients they need. Good luck to your dad! - Candace

Sister of guy w/base of tongue cancer, Stage IV, Dx 4/03, finished Tx 9/03
#45349 08-06-2005 12:47 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

hi Margo,

i had transient fever spikes. As long as they didn't last too long, the docs weren't really concerned. However there is some temp at which they get really concerned real fast. You need to be sure that your doc has informed you about that.

i was able to brush my teeth and rinse my mouth during the entire chemo/rad proceedure... but i quit eating during the first week and use my peg.

best wishes to your dad,
cu,
larryb

'01 diagnosis.. jaw hing and base of tongue. surgery not possible. JHU used radiation and chemo to seemingly rid me of the beast. peg for about 19 months. 100 cases of 24 cans of liquid food. 9 months eating therapy. 3x esophagus stretches. non-smoker. previously a social drinker.
#45350 08-06-2005 01:12 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

I guess it is Shawna,

The Problem I had during chemo was Neutropenic Fever. It is a failing of your first line infection defense and should not be taken lightly. I spent a week in MSKCC for it and you should not be doing an "at our request" if it is against medical advice, if it happens again (assuming you are covered). If they did not argue, fine. Just so it is clear, my fever went down in a few hours and I spent the week there. Just keep this in mind if it happens again. Search Google and check for the diet so you steer clear of problem foods.

On the PEG, we have some experts that will answer that. From what I understand you can find Jimmy Hoffa if you have one.

Glenn

#45351 08-06-2005 01:33 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Glenn, was your neutrophil count low? What is so confusing to us is that ALL of his blood work is STILL NORMAL-he is not currently neutropenic. They drew his labs at 2pm and AGAIN at 6pm-NORMAL. There was/is no hard evidence that he is having and infectous crises. (I know what -all of the labs mean-that's why there is so much confusion.)
The Salagen is making him sweat his guts out-I wonder if all of the stress and crap is just giving him the flu on top of it...
He is running a low grade temp of 99.5---
We deeply appreciate all of the input and advice-he is going through hell right now.

Dad Treated for T2N1M0 Tonsil Cancer August 2005. 35 IMRT radiation, 3 doses Cisplatin. Selective Modified Neck Dissection November.
#45352 08-06-2005 02:49 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Shawna,
The PEG,in my opinion, is now being used more often then not in radiation treatment for Oral Cancer. I had the PEG and, of course, feel it makes treatment easier and nutrition level higher. He can eat all he wants to with the PEG, it doesn't stop anyone from eating, just aids them if they cannot eat. I didn't eat from about the 3rd week on, but did sip water ALL day long.
I hope it get's easier for your dad.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#45353 08-07-2005 01:11 AM

Shawna,

Yes it was, but it picked up very fast once I was in the hospital and receiving meds. They did insist on keeping me for nearly a week and put me on a special diet. All this while I felt and looked fine. I went back and looked at your first post and I now realize you have more medical knowledge than I. The post was prompted by the "at our request" statement and I wanted to highlight a real problem that can pop up during chemo. Go home when you can, stay in when you should. Your dad is just a few years older than me and he sounds like he should do well, give it time.

On Salagen, I have it but never used it. I looked at some material and I got the impression that it was intended for other causes of salivary function problems and that radiation problems were more of a crap shoot. I saw no real successes with it on here so I passed. If the bad out weighs the good, talk to the Oncologist about it. Maybe it is part of the problem (that would be a guess).

Again, just watch the fevers, 99.5 is only one degree under what I was told to call for. One thing I have learned during my 4 different cancers in 3 years, We can be our worst enemy when it comes to getting help.

Glenn

#45354 08-07-2005 02:45 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi --

The dental oncologist at Hopkins and our ENT (who had HNC and had radiation 15 years ago) are both quite enthusiastic about the newer Evoxac mediaction for salivary function. Our ENT says she uses it now before bedtime (she has very reduced saliva as she has the older radiation) and says for a few minutes, she drools like a St. Bernard but it keeps her mouth moist all night. She gave us some free samples so have them in reserve if Barry needs them (as I am sure he will).

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!
#45355 08-07-2005 04:16 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

In concerns over the PEG tube, its better to be safe then sorry. I still have mine and should get it out on the 18th of this month :-). I am eating everything under the sun and am not a bit sorry i got the tube. It saved my life and gave me the stregth to continue with the treatments by giving me the neutrients that i needed. In fact its nice to take meds through that taste nasty or that can trigger a gag reflex like MOM YUCK. But check with the pharmacy first and make sure you can get liquid or you can crush the meds you are taking (let your Dr. know you want to crush the meds and put through the tube and he can perscribe the right ones). There are ppl here that did without the tube but i couldnt have made it. It sounds like he is getting pretty bad sores in his mouth already and it wont get better anytime soon. Radiation is the gift that keeps on giving even when its not being given.My mouth was very very sore a month to two after tx's were finished.i was finished at the middle of may and seemed like eternity till anything started to resemble healing. Keep him comfortable with pain management, and keep nutrition up and hydrated.Good luck and hope this info helps some.
Bob Grey

#45356 08-07-2005 06:41 AM
dee Offline

Hi Shawna,
I personally agree with Bob - better safe than sorry. Mom had her peg tube placed in 2 weeks ago. At first when it was suggested, I was scared to death, mostly due to the fact that 2 years ago when her twin had cancer (lung and lympoma) she had became neutropenic after her 1st chemo treatment long story short, they didn't place her tube in until 2 days before she passed away. I assosiated the tude with this.

Due to Moms inability to eat VERY FEW items, I can't stress the relief I feel with Mom having her peg tube. She has never been a water drinker and her weight was rapidly declining. With the tube, we not only can give her the nutrition she needs but also the water her body needs. We still haven't began treatment yet.

She is still allowed to eat/drink what ever she can handle (which is very little due to pain) but they do suggest that she does what she can by mouth before we do the feeding.

She had started drinking boost before the tube was place in and the doctors fell that helped her adjust easily to the tube feeding.

She currently is taking vicodon for pain and it does't seem to be doing that much for her. When the pain gets REAL intense, she takes a xanax which helps for the nerve pain especially in the tongue.

I hope and pray for the best for your Dad AND YOU!

Dee

Caretaker of Mom with Unresectable stage IV SCCHN, T1-3,T4..No,N1,N2-3. IMRT daily treatment starting 8/24/05. Erbitux every week starting 8/10/05 and Cisplantin every 3 weeks times 3. Diagnoised 7/5/05 -passed and in peace now on 10/1/05
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics