Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#43199 04-28-2004 04:50 AM
cathyl Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Well friends I go for the final fitting of my radiation mask and simulation tomorrow afternoon. That's when I'll find out my schedule.

You meet alot of interesting people going through something like this. The man who made the radiation mould has been doing this for 37 years!!!!! At least I got someone with alot of experience.

And while I was waiting for the appt I met one of the support services volunteers. His name is Mort and he first had radiation for cancer on his larynx 29 years ago. I'm guessing he's at least 70 - 75 now. The cancer came back and he had surgery about 10 years to remove his larynx so now he speaks through his traich but boy was he a character. I'm sure I'll be seeing alot of him. He one of the corps of "survivors" they have that chat with the patients waiting for their appts and they even visit with patients before and after their surgeries.

Wish me luck!

#43200 04-28-2004 05:17 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Cathy,
You are in my prayers and I think it's great the support you have thru the oncology dept. Dan went to U of MD, and he had a great oncology team, but no other support, and technicians that did his radiation that wasn't very pleasant. I think if you have that job, you need to really know how to love others and care for them. Dan had 41 rad treatments and though it was tough, came thru with flying colors and I know you will, too!
God Bless,
Debbie

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
#43201 04-28-2004 05:17 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Cathy, God Bless You, I will be thinking of you. Glad you met up with Mort, he sounds like he would be fun! Take Care, keep us updated. Love, Carol p.s. everytime I got up on that radiation table and they put the mask on me, I repeated my fav bible verse, Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!"

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
#43202 04-28-2004 05:52 AM
cathyl Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers - While the technician was making the mould, there was another lovely lady there to help (and to help keep me calm I'm sure). She and my sister who came with me to the appointment kept tellimg me to imagine that I was having a facial --- and before i knew it the 15 minutes was up and the mould was done!

#43203 04-28-2004 07:42 AM

Good I am glad you had nice technicians, I have been very fortunate with that, too. My sister also went with me for various visits to radiation/oncology, she made things easier for me. And of course, my husband was most supportive, too! God Bless!

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
#43204 04-28-2004 08:15 AM
cathyl Offline OP
OP Offline

You're right Carol -- support is everything. In addition to my wonderful twin sister, my boyfriend of only 5 months is amazing! He keeps telling me I'm the same woman he fell in love with and nothing will ever change that. He's a keeper!

#43205 04-28-2004 08:22 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Debbie,
Can you imagine how hard it must be to be a radiation tech. Many of them work 12 hour shifts because there are so many cancer patients and the machines have very little downtime -they have to run people through like cattle. They have certain days of the week when all of the children are clustered together. They see more death, dying and suffering than most others in the health care profession. And then there are the patients who are not grateful and just plain nasty about being there - taking out their side effects and symptoms on the techs because they're the closest human being involved in the day to day. There are also patients that show up drunk for treatment or sneaking cigarettes in the rest rooms in total disregard for the consequences while innocent children in their charge are dying.

Then there are the psychological aspects of it, seeing yourself there on that table, or knowing up close and personal just how devastating cancer really is. The terrified patients and caregivers or worse, the patients who come in daily with no support network.

They rarely ever see the success stories.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a rad tech.

We need to lift them up, pray for them, give them encouragement and thanks for a thankless job.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#43206 04-28-2004 08:52 AM

I agree, Gary, with what you said. In the last week of Dan's rad he had another tech, caring and asking me if Dan was okay...he was bleeding and oozing terribly by then. The first 7 weeks one tech drank every weekend and came in hungover a bit and talked about it! Not the best person to give you treatments and the other guy never had anything to say...in a mood all the time. Dan,however, never complained about anything once except that they tell him in the beginning what they were doing before they did it since he was masked and tied down. Dan never complains even to me...God has given him such inner strength and know that there are probably many who make up for his noncomplaining. I can't imagine having the job and I do pray for them daily...I just think there should be some caring involved.
Thanks!
Debbie

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
#43207 04-28-2004 12:29 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My experience with Radiation was for the most part good. From the people making my mask to the Techs themselves. I find that if you want people to talk to you and show they care sometimes you have to make the first move.

Gary is correct.....I would not want that job either. To see fear, pain and deal with nastiness 12 hours a day would be to much to bare.

Everyday when I went to my treatments I went alone. I did not want family or friends around me for the treatments. But, everyday I had to walk through the Waiting and Treatment area for Chemo patients and by the time I got to the Radiation Department my whole outlook changed. I was the lucky one and had no reason to be sad, bitter or drowning in self pity.

My treatments took place in the Alan Blair Cancer Center while under construction and the expansion. So everyday I saw a wide range of ages receiving Chemo Therapy. The older people, (I was 36 at the time) all had long faces and looked like they had given up hope. Yet in the same area you would see a Mother or Father with their 5 year old who was receiving treatment. The parents looking unsure and frightened, as I'm sure we would all be if it was our child. But, the 5 year old was sitting playing with the toys or listening to Mom or Dad read them a story and not one indication that they felt sorry for themselves. To them it was another place to play and spend time with their parents. All be it not an ideal or always pleasant place but none the less a place. I always said these little people have got to be the bravest of all. And if they can do it I sure as hell should be able to. I talked to the Techs about the differences between the adult patient and the children. They agreed the kids are amazing and that most adults should take a lesson from them.

I learned to appreciate everything the Radiation team did. From the Receptionist who hardly catches a break from ringing phones to patients snapping their heads off because they had to wait 20 minutes past their appointment time. To the people in the treatment rooms. Did anyone ever think to bring them Donuts, Flowers or even a Thank You Card. I can tell you it helped.................
David

#43208 04-28-2004 01:19 PM

Like David, I could not have asked for nicer people in radiation. Also like David, all I had to do was look around and know that nearly every person there would trade places with me in a heartbeat. I thanked the techs every single day for the treatment, and every spring I take in a couple of boxes of fresh bing cherries. These are the people who all signed a beautiful card and gave me gifts when I finished treatment. I was the first to finish IMRT and was kind of their test person. I had incredibly skilled surgeons, and although the chemo oncologist and I were like oil and water, he did a good job too, but I am convinced that it is the radiation folks who saved my life, and I do not hesitate to tell them. Even feeling my worst, a smile didn't cost me much and gained me a great deal. I think it is important that I show up at least annually to say hi, thank them, and show them in living color one of their "saves." I highly recommend openly appreciating the people who do that very, very emotionally taxing job.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics