Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#42565 05-18-2003 05:09 AM
OP Offline

oh they had him on some pretty good meds for his tonsil - liquid oxycodone. but he really isnt one for pain meds unless really needed, and i already know he is going to need them. but at this point in time he isnt using them yet. the docs have been really good about offering them to him. he did ask for, and got, something to help him sleep right now - ambien and he is only taking half of one right now.
we also requested, and got, a note from the doc for the seatbelt issue. it seems the seatbealt goes right over one of the "starting to get tender" places on his shoulder/neck area, plus the lap part where the shoulder part meets puts the PEG in a pretty vulnerable position. tho i am not happy about him not wearing a seat belt, i do understand that it bothers him and will only get worse in the near future. and i do keep asking him if he is in any pain, but so far so good - trust me, the minute is does have any pain, i will be getting pain meds for him!!
believe it or not, he has taken to the PEG tube feedings like a duck to water - he thinks its great and is soooo happy that we had the PEG put in place before he got to this point in time, even tho we did have a couple rough weeks when he first got it, he said it was well worth it now!
am hoping for a few smooth days this week for him before the side effects of this start kicking in - he could use it! when did your mucous start getting thick? i know that is the next obsticle to over come.
Robin

JC and Robin

scc stage 4; neck dissection with 8 positive nodes; occult primary
#42566 05-18-2003 05:55 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I hated the pain meds too, partly because they didn't last very long and mostly because of what they did to the digestive tract. The difficuly with constipation out weighed the oral pain.

As far as the mucous problem people talk about, I'm happy to say I never had that problem. Perhaps you will be lucky too.

The single most painful part of all my treatments was the tonsillectomy. I just wish my ENT had taken them both out.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#42567 05-18-2003 08:31 AM
OP Offline

hey mark -
yeah, that is one of the things that i really didnt understand is why only remove one. i had mine out when i was 6 and have successfully lived with them for 40 years so far. there was a time when they removed them and then they quit - i know my brother has had tonsilitis all his life! but i guess they only remove the necessary parts. i just pray that they never have to go and take the other one after what he went thru with the first one - but that still doesnt help my not understanding why they didnt take both of them while they were there, to me it would be logical to do that....but then i'm not the doc and havent gone thru years of medical school either! (tho right now i am truly getting quite an education that i had never imagined!)
has anyone that has had the PEG tube experienced a "lowgie" feeling (thats a jc word meaning sluggish i think) after feeding? is that normal? he is very sleepy and tired after feeding (i already know he has to sit up for an hour after feeding)
Robin

JC and Robin

#42568 05-18-2003 11:34 AM

Hi Robin. As far as JC's sluggish feeling, by the time I was where he is in his treatments, I was pretty tired most of the time, so I think what he is experiencing is normal. Also, now that you have begun feeding PEG, he is probably getting more food in his stomach to digest than he has had in a couple of weeks, so that will make him feel like one can after Thanksgiving or any big meal. As he becomes accustomed to more food, he should not notice anything more than usual tiredness. All in all, I don't think this is a problem. Hang in there!
Joanna

#42569 05-18-2003 01:33 PM
OP Offline

ahhhhh JoAnna - thank you soooo much - i didnt even think about how much food (or lack of food) that he has been consuming the past couple of weeks - i am sure that is what is happening right now - they told us to wait 4 hours between feedings - so it seems like he is hooked up all the time - maybe i should cut back one can and work our way into it??? it takes about 2 hours for 2 cans.....
we are hanging in there - each day brings something new - but then each day we over come something too! i guess it balances out somewhat!!
thanx,
Robin

JC and Robin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912