Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#42555 05-16-2003 10:29 AM
OP Offline

hi All - havent been here for a little while - have been busy with JC and his IMRT appointments. all is going well - we are leaving week 4 behind us today. his PEG tube issues have become a thing of the past, altho home health care is coming out tomorrow to show us how to use it for feeding, as he has lost 5 lbs these past couple of weeks. yep, his taste buds have gone on vacation, so everything is tasting like "cardboard" as i have read about, so food is becoming an issue at this point in time, tho he is not having problems with eating, but with tasting!! his spirits are up, but the fatigue is slowly creeping up on him. his sleeping hours are getting completely turned around - but i figure that by the time this is over and done with they will have come around again (i hope). dont really have any questions right now, just an update on how JC is doing - tho i figure that i will be full of questions here shortly when the radiation really kicks in -
thanx for being here....

Robin

JC and Robin

scc stage 4; neck dissection with 8 positive nodes; occult primary
#42556 05-16-2003 11:13 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

It sounds like he is right on track with things, right symptoms at the right time. He will get more sluggish, and there will be other issues down the road, but at this stage of things your report sounds like he is responding normally (if that word can be used for what these treatments cause) to what is going through. Good luck, and lets hope that IMRT makes this an easier path for him than regular radiation.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#42557 05-16-2003 03:57 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Sounds like he is doing quite well! Only 5 pounds that is pretty good. The taste thing is odd isn't it? I found that the radiation takes away the appetite besides making every thing taste flat (a double whammy). Don't be afraid to try herbs that aren't spicy hot in his food. Kick it up a notch! Because the sense of taste is so changed try lots of combinations. I found I liked the taste of things I previously hated (go figure) The important thing is to get that nutrition in. A cup of soup in between meals, a heavy gravy, it all helps.

take care

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#42558 05-16-2003 04:16 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Robin and JC.......Thanks for the update. Good to hear that JC is handling RAD as well as he is and a 5lb weight loss isn't bad at all. Hang tight, it's almost over. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#42559 05-16-2003 05:24 PM
OP Offline

the doc gave JC an oncology mouthrinse - it has lidocaine, benedryl, and maalox all in a bottle - he tried it and it numbed his throat for about 20 minutes so that he could eat if he was having problems. he isnt sure if he likes it or not - i think he is afraid of not being able to feel if he has chewed the food enough and choking - has anyone tried this mouthrinse? any problems with it? (tho it doesnt help the taste, or nontaste of the food any - drat!!)

JC and Robin

#42560 05-16-2003 11:48 PM

I tried the mouthrinse and tossed every time I used it when I swallowed it. Swish and spit, I was ok but that doesn't numb the back of your thoat. After I got sick, then I would eat some liquid protein drink real quick before it wore off. They also gave me a spray with a thin stainless steel tube applicator and I used it once - burned like hell for about 30 seconds - pure torture!
I had lost at least 10 lbs by week 4 for so it sounds like jc is doing really well. Is he getting chemo too? In my case the chemo made everything a lot worse. I am 57 days out out treatment and my taste buds are coming back really fast. Sleep is fairly normal and energy is returning. I'm out of bed almost everyday now.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#42561 05-17-2003 04:22 AM
OP Offline

hey gary - sounds like you are doing really well and only 57 days out of treatment!! that is so encourging! no, jc is not doing chemo, just the imrt. and initially they had planned on 35 treatments but have backed it up to 33! he tried gargling with the mouth rinse which seems to get it more into the throat as opposed to just around his mouth, but still has the fear of choking and i cant blame him on that one.
each day and week seems to bring something new and different to overcome, but overcome we will. his spirits and sense of humor remain intact and for that i am thankful!!
congrats on your taste buds coming back, along with your energy levels - i know that you went thru imrt also and will steer clear of the little stainless steel tube thing!! more "torture" is not needed here!! thanx, gary!

Robin

JC and Robin

#42562 05-17-2003 08:19 AM

Robin,
I also tried a little trick that worked pretty well with the Pink Magic stuff. I tried my best to swallow it on the side of my throat where the pain was (the tumor was on the right tonsil), hence not numbing my entire throat or mouth. I would do this using a spoon to deposit the stuff in the back of my mouth, on the right side. I was able to detect the food I was chewing - but most of the food I was having then were shakes and liquid protein drinks anyway -not much to chew. But painful to swallow. The pink stuff interferes with the gag reflex and it is easier to swallow down the wrong pipe. The pain is diminishing at a steady rate. I am very glad I had IMRT.

Gary
SCC, Stage III, Right Tonsil
Treatment began Jan 27, 2003
Treatment ended Mar 20, 2003

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#42563 05-17-2003 10:18 AM
OP Offline

well, home health care just came and went - JC is now attached to a gravity feed bag, tho he will still be eating what he can, i feel a little better about him getting what he needs now nutrition wise!!
i have heard nothing but positive things about the IMRT and am glad to hear that from you too gary. and the fact that your taste is coming back fairly fast is really encouraging.
when they did the neck dissection on jc they also removed his right tonsil (tho it came back clean) and that was the hardest part of the whole surgery was the removal of the one tonsil, and the most painful for him. (personally mine were removed when i was 6 and that was soooo long ago i dont remember it now - plus it is alot easier at a young and tender age)
i know there are going to be ALOT of other issues in the next few months to come - thank you all of being here...your angels from above!!!!

Robin

JC and Robin

#42564 05-17-2003 09:01 PM

Funny you mention that. I had tonsillitus so often as a child that they could never find a window of opportunity to yank them out! It figures that the SOB's would wait until I'm 55 to try and kill me! LOL They just melted they puppies into oblivion with the radiation. But I have had nightmares about adult tonsillectomy - I hear it really hurts. But that's what they have pain management for! I would be screaming at the doctors for relief if this is still hurting him (or amy thing else for that matter). Pain management is part of the cure.

Gary Allsebrook
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics