Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
David R Offline OP
OP Offline

I thought I'd check the Foram and see if anyone thinks there's any possible benefit or harm in my trying an alternative medicine treatment during radiation therapy. I went to the archives but didn't find anything about this.

A good friend's husband had oral cancer about ten years ago and had radiation/chemo. She writes that "Mike was told it would reduce or eliminate mouth sores if immediately before each radiation treatment he drank a small amount of canola or other cooking oil, swished it around his mouth and then swallowed it slowly so that his mouth and throat was coated. During his entire radiation treatment (7 weeks) Mike did not develop any mouth sores."

This is, of course, totally annecdotal. Perhaps Mike was just one of those fortunate people who don't develop sores. But I'm wondering if there's anything to this.

Finally, is there anything else people have done to reduce mouth sores and the swelling that many people report from radiation?

David R

Age 60, SCC Right Tongue Base
DX - CT scan 4/9/2007
Tongue biopsy 4/19; Neck diss 5/8
T1N2bM0G3
IMRT x48 [2/day] to start 6/7
w/ 5-FU, hydroxyurea & Erbitux
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

David, I was told to not put so much as a lotion on my skin before my radiation treatments. I can't imagine the radiation onc would want you to coat your mouth with oil before the treatment. You need to ask the doctors about this, as you don't want anything to interfere with the efficiency of the radiation.
Best of luck,
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Ditto, my RO even asked what soap I showered with before coming to rad. Never thought about soap but if he had told me that standing on my head would help the chemorad I would have done so.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

The dietician at the Comprehensive Cancer Center where I am now in treatment told me to swish a bit of extra virgin olive oil around in my mouth then swollow it She reccomended doing this several times a day but NOT before radiation.

marilyn

dx: Stage 3 T2N2aM0 Left tonsil, base of tongue, 1 left node. HPV positive.
tx: Tonsilectomy (left) then Cisplatin x2, Erbitux x7, IMRT x35
Phase 3 clinical trial. Completed 6/28/07
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I would not take or do ANYTHING before a rad treatment. There are many things that can serve in a bolus capacity and increase the intensity and effect of the radiation, causing more localized damage than it would otherwise.

I was also told not to put anything on my skin prior to treatments. I would think swallowing any kind of oil would have the same effect.
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I had mouth trays, but still had sores from the scattering of rad. I would wrap my teeth and gums with gauze. This seemed to help alot. The negative was that it caused me to gag, but that always seemed to settle down when I got on the table.

6-05, Left Tonsil-T1N2bM0 stageIVA, chemo(Cisplatin), radiation(6660cGy), neck disection, no PEG. HPV negative. (Doc suspects posit)
3-9-09 last of 30 HBO treatments.
David R Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks to everyone who replied so far. I've been traveling and not able to go online until now.

I am checking with my rad/onc to be sure he has no problem with this...but haven't heard back from him yet. I would not do anything extra until I get his okay.

He did tell me not to use any sunscreen that contained zinc oxide or any other metalic particles as this would deflect the radiation. But he didn't mention soaps or lotions. BTW, my dermatologist recomended the Neutrogena 55 sunscreen as not having any metal in it.

I just learned from the woman who told me about this that it was recommended to her husband by head radiologist at St. Barnabas Cancer Center in NJ. But that wasy 10 years ago. I have the doc's name and will contact him to see if he's changed his mind about this since then.

I'll let people know what my radiologist says, and the doctor who first proposed this back in 1997.

Thanks again for all the input. David R

DX - CT scan 4/9/2007
T1N2bM0G3
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hi,
Just diagnosed yesterday and given a booklet on head and neck cancer--in the 'eating' bit it suggests COOKING with more oil or butter!
Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

I was told that Rob wasnt to use any product for anything including washing clothes that was either perfumed or contained any metals of any description.I bought the whole range of simple products for washing shaving deoderant and shampoo.As to cooking oil,i used to rub that on my skin when i was a teenager to make the sun burn me so i would tan quicker so i dread to think what it would do in your mouth when exposed to radiation.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
David R Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone for your input. I just heard back from my radiation oncologist and here's what he said: "I've never head of gargling with oil. However, if you'd like to try I have absolutely no objections as I don't see any harm" He then went on to talk about the importance of good oral hygeine, especially rinsing with a mixture of salt and baking soda (1 tablespoon of each in 1 quart of water) four or five times a day to keep the mouth clean and healthy.

Also, I did some more digging and the person who recommended the gargling with oil to my friend's husband 10 years ago was the head of radiation oncology at St. Barnabas Cancer Center in NJ. I am going to try to track this doctor down and see if he still recommends this after 10 more years of experience. I will let people know what I learn. David R

DX - CT scan 4/9/2007
T1N2bM0G3
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311