Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I would think that folks who go in for Sado-Masochistic "activities" would be well-prepared for this <big grin>.

They didn't prepare me for this, but I am a trusting soul (to some extent), and was still recovering from my surgeries, so I just went along with the whole thing. In fact, they had some name for the session that implied I would be in a conference around a table (Development of Radiation Plan, or something like that...).

The only thing was, when two techs had me down on the table for some sort of trial run and the mask fitting, they mentioned that they would be doing the tattoo later and even showed me the kit; I said "Why not now, while we are all assembled here, you have the kit, you have the Nuke Machine aimed and you have me strapped down so I can't escape...?". They looked at each other, opened the kit and had at it!

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I didn't get a tattoo. I told my college student mom was getting a tattoo (very sore subject in our house), but they marked the mask instead. If they give me the mask, I will put in near the casts of my teeth they made so they could create my flouride trays. They all look creepy enough for Halloween.

SCC, right tonsil, T1N0MO, G3, HPV-33 positive, 7 wks IMRT 2/21/07-4/13/07, 48 year old female when diagnosed, non-smoker, weekend wine drinker, tumor and both tonsils removed. Ethyol for 3 weeks; no peg; only minimal longterm side effects
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

We are, indeed, all different. John acclimated to the mask routine very quickly, but to this day, if the CT\Pet machine is a small tube, he will refuse to get in and walk out of the room. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

My mask experience was simlar but the cut holes for my eyes, nostrels and mouth. Plus I had to put the "popsicle" in my mouth during radiation. It kept my mouth and tongue exactly in the same position during treatment.

I also got the "strap" to pull my shoulders out of the way during the radiation process. This is accomplished by tying the strap to a wrist running down below your feet with your knees slightly bent and up to the other wrist. Then by straightening you knees it pulls down on your arms, shoulders, etc. Fun times!

T3N2aM0 SCC right oral tongue. Partial Glosectomy, Modified Neck disection for 1 Lymph Node. Dec. 2002. 35 IMRT 2003.

Let's hope we don't scare her, as Gary is worried about, because I would hate to have that happen. I just know that I handled everything they came at me with in a very dignified, calm manner............except that mask fitting. I was unprepared for it, had been told nothing in advance, and it was just "done" to me rather then explained in steps as it took place. If I had had this website to reference ahead of time, I wouldn't have had that bad experience.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

David,
I empathasize with your point but my health care providers did prepare me very thoroughly on exactly what to expect. The tech who made the mask was very friendly and informative. There were no surprises. Maybe that's one of the advantages of going to a CCC for treatment.

Amy I think you have MRI machines confused with the PET or PET/CT. The PET is just a giant donut like a CT machine. The MRI is the long tight tube in a large cube. They do have open type MRI machines but their image quality is not as good as the full magnet nitrogen cooled ones, such as the Siemens or GE machines.

Minniea, I had to have 2 masks made because the first one didn't turn out right.

And I did get a pinpoint tattoo - but the laser reference points were post-it dots that were scotch taped on ;-)

Stoj,
I LOVED IMRT - other than it saving my life (details) it also gave me a very reasonable quality of life back which I enjoy very much today. I have almost normal saliva, taste, etc. Other than some minor muscle damage and an occasional neck spasm that's about it.

I didn't like the side effects during treatment either but it sure beats death which would have been a sure thing thing without it. There are many here who had a much tougher time than I did. A few had an easier time as well. I didn't have a PEG tube or Amofostine. But make no mistake about it - radiation therapy is a very difficult treatment - much tougher than surgery.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Getting fitted was no big deal. I also hate my mask, but love it at the same time. It was so instrumental in saving my life. Being strapped to the table for extended periods gets very tiresome. you must have a sense of humor about the whole thing to get through the 35 treatments. Some smash their masks. I still have mine and intend to keep it until 5 years is up.

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I kept the mask for a while and was going to keep it until the 5 years was up, but then I got married and when I kept getting asked what we can get rid of, I didn't think the local charity would take the mask as a donation so I finally decided to toss it. It was a good healing moment.

Jim

T3N2aM0 SCC right oral tongue. Partial Glosectomy, Modified Neck disection for 1 Lymph Node. Dec. 2002. 35 IMRT 2003.
OP Offline

Thank you all for your posts.
My husband had the mask made today without any problems. It helps that we know the staff well since we both work in radiology.
He sees the GI doctor tomorrow for a pre op visit prior to getting his PEG, which will be in 5 days.
PLUS...2 more dental appts next week, too.
Therapy to start on 2/20/07..hopefully.

Care giver for Stage IV Base of Tongue TXN3M0
Neck Dissection 1-9-07
IMRT & 8 weekly Cisplatin
2/20/07 - 4/17/07

Gary............two mask fittings?? That would have put me over the edge for sure! Every patient that my doctors office sends my way for support, the first thing I talk to them about is the "making of the mask", as I call it. It really had that huge of an effect on me, which is silly considering the horrific surgery I endured. Go figure.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users