Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39913 03-28-2006 11:46 AM
michele Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

My husband has 6 more radiation treatments to go, and today was last chemo. He was feeling in pretty good spirits today, even though we were at oncology center all day. They gave him a shot of Aranesp because his blood count was slightly low. That was the first time he had that. Later this afternoon, his behavior became very different, angry, disgusted. When we got home, an issue came up, unrelated to his illness or treatment-it was actually about a problem with our dog-- and he became very angry, almost violent, threatening to throw things. He was shouting, even though his voice is hardly there. I tried to calm him down and when I couldn't, began shouting back, threatening to call the doctor. After a few minutes, he finally quit, I burst out crying, left the room, and am now sitting here writing this. Could this be a side effect of that shot? Should I call the doctor? I am kind of nervous.
Michele

Michele, caregiver to husband, Jesse, SCC diagnosed 1/5/06 unknown primary, lf neck mass >6 cm. Chemo (Cisplatin 2x; Carboplatin & Taxol 2x) & XRT radiation 39X ending 4/4/06. Rad neck dissection 8.5 hrs 4/13/06. 30 HBO treatments Fall 2006.
#39914 03-28-2006 12:02 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Michele
My husband had several aranesp shots and it did not change his behavior. He just got more energy. Maybe it is just his anger at the cancer, treatment issues coming out. Hang in there.
Linda

Husband diagnosed 2/9/05 SCC Larynx (piriform sinus)Stage IV,T4,N1,MO
cisplatin/5FU 3/21-3/25 & 4/11-4/15, began 39 rad 4/21/05 last rad 6/17/05, mrnd 10/7/05
#39915 03-28-2006 12:19 PM
michele Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Linda - Thanks for the response about the Aranesp. They didn't tell us anything about it as far as side effects. I didn't really think it was that, but thought I'd inquire. I think he is really feeling "not in control" of the everyday things and it is frustrating him. Must have been building. I do not trust myself to even talk to him right now, because I am still upset. But hopefully things will even back out.
Michele

Michele, caregiver to husband, Jesse, SCC diagnosed 1/5/06 unknown primary, lf neck mass >6 cm. Chemo (Cisplatin 2x; Carboplatin & Taxol 2x) & XRT radiation 39X ending 4/4/06. Rad neck dissection 8.5 hrs 4/13/06. 30 HBO treatments Fall 2006.
#39916 03-28-2006 01:04 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I went through an emotional roller coaster ride towards the end of treatment and dragged my wife with me - I am STILL making amends;-)

Also, one of the early stages of grief is anger and it may be manifesting itself now as he gets more beat up and reality sets in.

It could be a sign of depression. I would talk to the doctor for sure.

I have no experience with Aranesp.

Here is what one of the drug databases had to say about side effects:

Side Effects of This Medicine
Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.

Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:

More common

Abdominal or stomach pain; accumulation of pus; arm, back or jaw pain; blurred vision; breathing difficulties (irregular, noisy, trouble at rest); chest pain, discomfort, tightness, or heaviness; chills; confusion; cough producing mucus; decrease in amount of urine; diarrhea; dilated neck veins; dizziness or lightheadedness; fainting or lightheadedness; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fatigue or tiredness (extreme or unusual); fever; headache; nausea; pain, tenderness, swelling or warmth over injection site; shortness of breath or troubled breathing; pounding in the ears; rapid breathing; rapid or pounding pulse; skin discoloration at injection site; sweating; swelling of ankles, face, fingers, feet, hands, or lower legs; unconsciousness; vomiting; weight gain; wheezing

Less common

Anxiety; convulsions; difficulty in speaking (slow speech or inability to speak); double vision; inability to move arms, legs, or facial muscles (including numbness and tingling); trouble thinking or walking

Rare

Fever and sore throat; hives; itching; pale skin; skin rash; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusual tiredness or weakness

Other side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. However, check with your doctor if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome.

More common

Constipation; general feeling of discomfort or illness; lack or loss of strength; loss of appetite; muscle aches, pains or stiffness; runny nose; pain in joints; shivering; sneezing; sore throat; trouble sleeping
Less common

Confusion; ; decreased urination; dry mouth; lightheadedness; sunken eyes; thirst; wrinkled skin
Other side effects not listed above may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your doctor.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#39917 03-28-2006 01:05 PM

Is Aranesp a steriod? Has he had any steroids (they gave me one to help me tolerate the chemo--decadron, I think is what it was called)?

Steriods can cause this kind of reaction in some people from what I've heard (though what they gave me just made me feel better than I had any right to feel).It could also easily be the frustration at everything seeming out of control and awful. Wer all react differently to that too.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
#39918 03-28-2006 01:19 PM

It's not a steroid, it's an anti-anemia medication:

Darbepoetin alfa ( dar-be-POE-e-tin AL-fa) stimulates the bone marrow to produce red blood cells. If the body does not produce enough red blood cells, severe anemia can occur. This often occurs in people with chronic kidney failure whose kidneys are not working properly. Anemia can also occur in people who have cancer and are receiving chemotherapy to treat their cancer. Darbepoetin alfa is used to treat severe anemia in these people. Darbepoetin may be used for patients on dialysis and for patients not on dialysis.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#39919 03-28-2006 05:04 PM
michele Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thanks Gary for the details about the Aranesp. I briefly searched but couldn't find anything about it.

I think the whole thing is starting to get to its limit for my husband. The frustration of not being normal. We have talked this evening and things are better somewhat but he is still discouraged, trying to make plans for things and getting upset when I say "wait and see how you feel." I think that is what is bothering him most. I tell him "one day at a time," and that is hard for him to take sometimes. I am just afraid for him to make plans and then be disappointed.
Thanks everyone for the input.
Michele

#39920 03-28-2006 06:38 PM

Michele,
sometimes it's one breath at a time. It is normal to get discouraged and it could very well get rougher before it's over. As a matter if fact it WILL get tougher. He has to keep focused on the "over" part. Sometimes you just have to drag your butt through the day. I had fair to horrific days. Did you know that the techs actually feel guilty about what happens to us in treatment?

He will get through this. Plans? I didn't make any plans for anything until I was sure I was going to survive - and that was quite a while post Tx.

This disease will teach you a whole new level of patience in unimaginable ways.

Gary Allsebrook
#39921 03-29-2006 08:21 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Michele
One thing on your post jumped out at me.
Every time you tell him "Wait and see." he thinks YOU think he is not going to make it.

We spent hours making plans for " When all this shit is over and we can get back to our normal".
And you know what...we did get back to normal.

Pete is not the type of guy to even think he was not going to recover, and I believe attitude is a big part of our armour to beat this disease.

When folks ask me how he is doing,I tell them "Large as life and twice as ugly!"

I know this is hard on you and your family but try to look forward to the good times to come.

Take Care
Marics

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics