Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joanna Offline OP
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

Radiation to lower jaw caused bottom teeth to die, break off and generally look terrible. 20 hyperbaric oxygen treatments were ordered. I am now two days post-op for extraction of dead teeth and replacement with implants. ENT/DDS who did the work was very, very pleased because he said the radiated bone bled just as much as one that had not been subjected to rad. Just to be safe, tomorrow I begin 10 more dives. When I began all this I wanted to know how it was determined that hyperbaric O2 caused regrowth of capillaries. Seemed like a leap of faith to me, but by golly, it works! If I can answer questions for anyone, please ask.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

hi Joanna,

good for you for the outstanding effort/results with post rad dental stuff.

this is an area that i try not to worry about - yet remains in the back of my mind as a concern. so i really appreciate you letting us know your experiences - which sounds very re-assuring. its good to hear that your jaw bone has normal blood supply.

enjoy the holidays,
cu,
larryb

Joanne,
I'm so happy to hear that it went well for you. I will begin my treatments after the holidays, somewhere in the middle of January, so to hear your success story is awesome. Have they put the implants in your mouth yet? I wonder the most about how difficult it will be to learn to talk, etc., again after getting the teeth back! Took all this time to figure it out without the teeth, lol. If you do have the implants in, can you chew on them like regular teeth? Take care and keep us posted. Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Also Joanne, what were the first signs that your teeth were dying? My dentist is not real hopeful about me keeping what bottom teeth I have left, which would be all on my right side. I have noticed that the gums are receding now, five months post radiation, and the gums themselves just don't look as healthy. Did you experience any of this? Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Joanna Offline OP
OP Offline

Sorry for delay in answering, Minnie. Just back from Big City treatments for Christmas, and did not take a computer. Okay, first and only sign I had of dead teeth was when they broke off. All in about two weeks. I had to file them down to keep from lacerating my tongue, and because that didn't hurt, I knew they were truly dead (grin). I have titanium screws implanted in the bone. When they are judged to have bonded, there will be teeth attached. THEN, there will be one heck of a party, all invited! And yes, implants function just as regular teeth do, although chewing hard candy, nuts, or ice, etc., probably is not recommended.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Minnie,
I am 10 months post Tx and so far my teeth are fine. Have seen the dentist three times and had xrays taken. I did have a little gum recession post Tx and I am not surprised considering the abuse my mouth took. Like Joanna, I was very thorough taking care of my teeth. Daily flossing, weekly dental trays with flouride, a water pik, cleaning 3 times a year, baby tooth brush, biotene, etc. The dentist is happy with the health of my gums and teeth. My dentist and hygenist inform me that I am a model patient. They also know about the dangers of ORN and are being very thorough. When they clean my teeth they clean below the gums as well - not all hygenists do that -insure that yours does. Honestly the whole teeth, ORN thing scare me a little.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Congrats Minnie!
On the dental issue..my mom has mostly all crowns and some fantastic gold work on her molars. She didn't have very good teeth growing up. She has very few real teeth left. Does anyone know how radiation affects crowns, fillings and the like? Dental hygine was one of the last things on my list of concerns but not any more. In general do people fair pretty well in the dental area when radiation happens or is this a standard problem for everyone?

annabel

Hi Annebel,

I have about 80% crowns in my mouth, I had IMRT radiation to the right tonsil area. I had my first dental cleaning in December after treatment
ended in early November and had no cavities!!!! I was surprised. I was told to use Biotene toothpaste and Biotene mouthwash and I use it at least three times per day. I buy it at Walmart.

My next cleaning is in April, I go now every three months. I will have to pay for two cleaning's a year and my insurance pays for the other two. Well worth the cost.

Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics