Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#36932 09-21-2003 11:19 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Dan it is funny (strange) not haha that the Dr asked about suicide, we had a similar experience.
My husband Dan being a joker wore a "Cancer Sucks"
Baseball Cap to one of his treatments......they sent him to the therapist/social worker, asking him about depression etc etc. Keep in mind he had gone every day for weeks, but the day he wears this cap he is talking the the shrink and they want to prescribe anti depression meds.

Some of these doctors are nuts!

Sherrie wife to Dan, Tonsil cancer survivor, Stage IV diagnosed July/2001
#36933 09-21-2003 04:12 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I apologise in advance because this post it isn't directly related to Dan's post, but after Sherrie Lynns post I remembered how I got my first CAT scan post treatment:

About 6-8 months after radiation I felt a strange sensation while breathing. Over several days I got more and more worried until I finally called for a rush dr's appointment. My doc was booked for 2 weeks and I couldn't wait (right?) so I got an appointment that day with a nurse-practitioner.

While I am waiting in the exam room I see a poster for anxiety symptoms (one of which is breathing sensations and tightness in the chest) SO after her exam where she finds nothing, I mentioned the poster on the wall. She says "would you like me to make an appointment for you to see a psyciatrist?" To which I replied "If they can tell me the cancer isn't in my lungs then go for it!" She excused herself from the room presumeably to consult with my regular Doc (between patients) and came back several minutes later with an appointment for a CAT scan. wink

The CAT scan was normal so apparently I should have seen the shrink! laugh laugh :p

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#36934 09-21-2003 10:27 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Mark, Dan,
They gave me the little pep talk the day I wore a Navy Seals t-shirt saying "That which does not kill you only makes you stronger" (and my Garand Collectors Association ballcap -with a rife on the front) and the doctor asked me if I owned a gun (under the pretense he had an interest in shooting) (I collect WWII weapons and have a sizeable arsenal).

I had a bad reaction to the Zoloft - almost immediately I had flu like symptoms and so I quit that. Then they gave me Paxil and I never took any - figured I'd had enough drugs and medications. I guess they're not for everybody. A little depression is normal at times like this.

Disclaimer: This was worked for me -some out there suffer from severe depression and really need the meds.

They're (the HMO) pretty cool about scans -they give me anything I ask for, blood tests too. I have had a full liver panel, PCR/DNA test for Hep C, Cholesteral test, etc. Unfortunately they don't have PET/CT yet.

The main anxiety I have these days is paying the bills...

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#36935 09-22-2003 01:12 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Dan, I just wanted to wish you lots of good luck on your journey through radiation...you have received some wonderful advice from your buddies here..they will keep you on track. question your Doctor and make sure he see a "real person" before him..sounds like he`s coasting!
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
#36936 09-23-2003 03:18 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dan......You are your own best advocate in all of this, remember that, Dan. I found it especially important to have a decent connection with my doctors because of the serverity of the diagnoses. We are fighting for our lives here, Dan, this is tough stuff to not only grasp, but get a hold of. You need to be open, honest and up front with questions to your medical team, and you deserve open, honest and direct answers to ANY and ALL questions you or your loved ones may have. You are the consumer in all of this; you pay the Doctor's salary, not the other way around. And remember, the squeaky wheel always gets the oil. I caution you to not let the lines of open communication dissolve and if you see this occuring, it might be wise to switch doctors early in the game. Sending good, positive thoughts your way. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916