Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36857 08-23-2003 04:58 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

My wife and I took my son to the airport today around 1pm. Back to NC in the marines. Stopped at Sams club and stopped at woodmans to pickup some groceries, While at the store I could hardly walk
a straight line and on the way home was very tired. Got home and took some roxecit and adaivan and napped for three hours. I was up at 5:30am, just wake up and seem ready to go, Still can't get used to being so tired during the day. any suggestions would be helpful, Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#36858 08-23-2003 10:32 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Dan,
Roll with it. This is your bodies way of telling you "slow down - I need time to heal".

Wait'll you start radiation, you think you're tired now? I would spend the whole morning getting ready to go to the hospital. I had radiation in the late morning, would come home and drink my lunch then nap all afternoon until dinner then drift in and out the rest of the night. There were several months that I only left the bed to go to the bathroom, shower (sitting at times I might add) and go to treatment and that was it. I spent more time puking during treatment than my entire life combined and that took it's toll.

I felt like the bubble boy. For months I couldn't go out in public because of my compromised system -it was too great of a risk. I had to get clearance from the doctor first.

Low white cells, low red cells, antibiotics causing a near fatal candidiasis bloom.

Some don't react this way, some actually continue to work through all of this. I don't know how they do it but all the more power to them.

I am glad that I didn't try to over rule what my body was telling me it needed. I managed to avoid all but the most minor infections - no pneumonia, not even a head cold, etc.

At day 155, post Tx, I went to the grocery store by myself and shopped for the first time since December (and no I didn't accept their offer of help out to the car)-now THAT'S progress.

One other thing, my wife and I secretly delight in going to the ice cream store and having people stare at our 100 lb. + bodies and wonder how we DO this with a double scoop of ice cream. have fun with it.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#36859 08-24-2003 03:29 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Dan,

You probably know that my experience has not been near what many on this board have faced, yourself included. However, even with my relatively "easy" time of it, I still get tired or run down at times.

Most recent example was last Sunday. We moved my daughter off to her college dorm. I didn't do any heavy lifting, carrying or anything. All I did was make her bed up with her new sheets, pillows, comforter. Granted, the bed is a loft, and I had to climb on the desk chair to the windowsill to reach it. What did me in? Trying to reach the far right corner of the bunk to tuck in a sheet. I thought nothing of it until I woke up Monday morning unable to move my right shoulder and neck. I stretched something weird evidently, took a lortab, called work and went back to bed.

Be good to yourself! smile

Sincerely,
Lisa

Lisa
SCC of Tongue Stage 1 (T1,N0,M0)
partial glossectomy,modified neck dissection 4/14/03
#36860 08-24-2003 04:32 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dan,

Not strange to be tired at all...and when you get into radiation it will probably get worse. But, as Gary said, it's your body telling you what it needs right now.
My husband is always telling me not to overdo things, and especially during radiation my body really wouldn't let me, I liken it to running into a brick wall. Listen to your body for now. When your treatment is through you can start pushing a bit harder to regain strength.
I feel your body will do the best for you it can if you give it the nutritional tools it needs to help you fight.
Take care.
Dinah

#36861 08-24-2003 05:01 PM

You are definately having a normal after effect. I noticed that I felt noticibly better the day or two after I did "too much". So while you should expect to have to take it easy, I will suggest you not lay too low. It is not the cancer that is making you feel this way, it is the surgery and the after effects of the knock out drugs.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics