Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#36854 08-24-2003 03:58 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Well now that I have heard from 4 people regarding Gary's post, I guess that this needs to be adeded to the thread. I am not sure what message Gary is trying to get across to patients with his post. EVERY MAJOR PAIN KILLER THAT IS GIVEN TO CANCER PATIENTS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE ABUSED. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO READ GARY

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#36855 08-24-2003 06:48 AM

Hi Brian,
Thank you for defending me. It wasn't my intent to scare anyone about OxyContin. I just published the FDA warning ver batim and didn't add anything to it and then I responded immediately to my own post adding Fentanyl and clarifying the BENEFITS of pain management therapy. Not wanting to cause anyone to run to the toilet flushing their meds.

The point I DID want to get across was the danger of crushing the tablets and putting it in a PEG tube as some do with their meds which seems to have gotten lost here.

"The tablet must be taken whole and only by mouth. When the tablet is crushed and its contents are injected intravenously or snorted into the nostrils, the controlled release mechanism is defeated and a potentially lethal dose of oxycodone is released immediately." (I read into this or taken gastro intestionally -it DOES go from the nostrils into the stomach right?).

I had to respond to the posts that were painting a picture of OxyContin being about as harmless as aspirin. It's no better or worse than any other class II narcotic.

>>>>>>>To reiterate, the risk is far outweighed by the benefit.>>>>>

Being a recovering addict/alcoholic, the least of my worries was addiction to painkillers. The FDA did put a lot of stress on that (like they do with EVERY class II narcotic.) It was definitely OVERSTATED in their warning.

If people on the site here took the time really read my posts, they would understand that I didn't say anything different then you did. The information I gave is right out of the PDR and the intent was to make it clear that class II narcotics are NOT a danger when used responsibly and by prescription/doctors orders.

I responded to Joannas original post because she didn't make clear that she had the doctors prior clearance to increase her dosing limits as necessary, within safe boundaries.

To put this in perspective driving a car is MORE dangerous than taking class II narcotics.

Enough said...

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#36856 08-24-2003 11:06 AM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

There really wasn't any need to defend you, it just wasn't clear to some readers who immediately wrote me and asked if they should suggest to their docs that they change medicine. We all need to remember taken out of context any information can seem bad

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users