Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36776 08-18-2003 02:21 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline

I need to ask some questions about the rad procedures.
Hoe long does each rad treatment last?

Is the rad treatment painful?

Will I be able to drive myself to and from the treatments?

How many weeks do the rad treatments last for oral cancer after surgery and a pech flap?

Is there any medication I should be taking prior to the treatments or after the treatments?

Should I be eating before the treatments?

I have read about people getting tired and sleeping alot, is this true of all people?

Thanks for your help in advance, Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#36777 08-18-2003 05:54 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Daniel, me again

To answer your questions, I'm going to preface it with everyone is different, and each of us will have differnt side effects.

For review, I've gone through the surgery/radiation experience twice, first on left side had partial glossectomy, free flap and rad nec dissection followed by radiation to the tongue and neck. Second time just the neck dissection on the right side follwed by radiation on the right side of neck. Both times IMRT and what's called HFRT or radiation twice a day for short.

Depending on what they are irradiating, treatment iself would be about 10-15 minutes. I was 15 minutes from the time I walked into the room to the time I walked out, including the time it took to get me positioned in the machine. I have heard of times as long as 30 minutes from others on this board though.

The treatments themselved don't hurt, unless you count the possible back pain from lying on a uncushioned surface for the time of the treatment.

Depending on how well you get along with the treatments, it's possible you could drive yourself back and forth, at least for the first few weeks. I used to take taxi to the hospital, walk the 15 minute walk back to the apartment, didn't have a car available to drive.

Length of time for the treatment is going to depend on how high a dosage the doc thinks is necessary. First time around for me was 7 weeks, second time only 5 weeks, not as high a dosage of radiation.

As far as eating before radiation, if you can get the food down from my experience it should be ok.

As far as getting tired and sleeping a lot, I would pretty much count on it, especially after the 3rd or 4th week. I had good days and bad days, some days I would go shopping, out to a park and such during the day, others just back to the apartment and crashed until time for the afternoon treatment. But I would force myself to go out at least once a day for some reason or other, just to move around.

Hope this all helps. By the way, you are asking the same questions I wish I could have asked the first time around. Unfortunately, I didn't find this site until AFTER the first set of treatments.
Take care and good luck.
Bob S.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#36778 08-18-2003 05:54 PM

Hi Dan,

The treatments last 5 minutes (give or take) I don't know if IMRT is different. I found that later in the day the waiting room was empty. I had many treatments that I was in and out in a total of 15 minutes including parking.

The treatments are completely painless. Some get two per day (1/2 strength) others only one.

Yes you should be able to drive yourself (unless you get some really strong pain meds later for the famous sore throat).

6 or 7 weeks is normal.

As for medications your Rad-Oncologist can advise you about Pilocarpine (Salagen) and Amofostine. Both are an attempt to help with salivia.

Eating before or after won't matter, I would strongly advise against eating during treatment. (They won't let you anyway smile )

Getting fatigue is almost a sure bet. It is not so bad but sleeping dosn't really help. You can expect to be operating at a reduced strength during and after your last treatment. How long depends on each person, but you should start to feel better after the first week or two.

You should see your dentist BEFORE treatments start and ask for a sealant for your teeth, also floride treatments are a very good idea. There are several over-the-counter floride products. Ask your dentist. The teeth can be very badly affected by the radiation so plan to be VERY diligent with dental care.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics