Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#35475 08-14-2007 02:31 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

I will say one last thing about smoking, I was a smoker, I got cancer from it, they had to cut part of my tongue out and full next dissection, have trouble moving my right arm, and all my teeth removed my life changed forever because of smoking. How dare me, how dare your doctor, how dare anyone, that would say stop smoking. You don,t like my presentation, sounds like im angry I really don,t care what you think.
I have paid a price to have this opinion of smoking. I buried 3 other freinds from smoking.
Sure you can get cancer from other things and good old Gorge Burns smoke for 90 years, but the fact remains smoking will kill you in more ways than just cancer. We have been emotionally tied to our addictions because excuses make it easyer to deal with what we did to ourself.
Smoking has been socially acceptable for years. Now things are changing, people have had enough of it, just like anything else change is hard.
How bad do you want to live. How bad do you want your children or your grandchildren to have it.
Oh Dad smoke or Grandpa smoke why can,t I.
I am sorry for those of you that are having problems watching others smoke, I still do, What really is sad people don,t care enough to stop smoking in front of us. Why is that???

Tongue Cancer, stage 4, spread to neck/ Radical neck, 3 chemos, 33 radiation. 5-18-2005
#35476 08-14-2007 03:59 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

The publics view of this cancer as being a "smokers" cancer is part of the problem in making others aware that they need to have their oral exams or that they need to have lesions and sores in their mouths checked even if they do not smoke. For non-smokers to think it really matters how they feel about smokers is total arrogance and it attaches a horrible stigma to this devastating cancer. I have the same feelings about an oral cancer patient that didn't smoke as I do for one that smoked for 30 years. My mother was just at my home for a week, she still smokes. Am I supposed to be angry at her? Am I supposed to rail and ask why me and not her? How selfish is that. She's addicted, she has tried to quit with no success. It's her demon, not mine and I am not going to judge her for it as her smoking has nothing to do with me.
So, non-smokers, please know that your attitude is one of the biggest battles that oral cancer victims face..........the publics belief that "they caused their cancer so why feel bad for them". And the public doesn't stop to consider that maybe this patient didn't smoke.......so that negative attitude hurts even the non smoking OC patients. Now THAT is unfair, THAT is what we should be battling.......not sitting here judging others for an addiction.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#35477 08-14-2007 07:21 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I agree with the point that non-smokers shouldn't think they'll escape getting Oral cancer because they don't smoke. & it isn't right that people assume you should have done something to get cancer. I had a PM recently from someone asking me 'what did you do to get cancer' Hello??? i didn't DO anything thankyou very much! That emphasises people ignorance that non-smokers can & do get H&N cancers to. But facts are facts, and statisticaly smoking is the common denominator, and that is what is pulisized most. Perhaps there need to be more campaigns to raise awareness amongst non-smokers too.

Undifferentiated Nasopharyngeal Ca. T3N1M0 stage: IIb. diagnosed: June 2006. 6cycles of high dose chemo (Cisplatin & 5FU). 6 & half weeks (33sessions) radical R/T
#35478 08-14-2007 09:45 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I wholly accept that smokers (and cancer survivors) have the right NOT to be judged. I don't pretend to know what a smoker goes thru in trying to quit, because I don't. However, I think I have the right NOT to breathe the smoker's smoke. Nobody smokes in front of me. I don't go anyplace where people smoke. I feel I have the right to say what comes into my house especially if it is smoke. When my smoker son comes to my house, he smokes outside no matter how cold it gets and no one nags him about it. He also smokes outside at his own house. My non-smoker son had a girlfriend a while back who was a smoker and whenever she was with him at my son's house, she wore a nicotine patch that he bought for her. If I travel by car with a smoker, I tell them about how I get violent headaches when I'm around smoke and that they cannot smoke in my car but I am very happy to make as many stops as they wish for them to smoke outside my car. Or we can use two cars.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#35479 08-14-2007 11:16 AM

dogman is mad at himself for apparently not quitting smoking years ago when his parents or someone else advised him to quit. we all suffer someway in life and pointing fingers doesn't stop it. Be Happy with what you have and that you still have your mind in working order. We are all to blame for our mistakes and must live with them..have a great day all!!!!!!

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
#35480 08-14-2007 12:23 PM

Here's a blog for the smokers (for smokers rights) and may I say personally, thank you for improving my survivability odds!

And one for anti-amokers:

http://www.stop-smoking-updates.com/quitsmoking/blogs/0.htm

Feel free to join one or both of these these blogs. "Fair and Balanced".

OCF position is smoking inherently unhealthy for you.

See: http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/tobacco/index.htm

I am closing this topic because it will never get any resolution and we can better use the bandwidth. It's also getting too personal.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#35481 08-15-2007 05:09 AM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

This thread is now closed, as it is not producing anything positive anymore. Bottom line is we are all responsible for our actions be it as a driver, smoker, consumer of junk foods, and so much more. That bad choices in many areas of our lives are going to come back to bite us is not a revelation. We are getting fatter as a nation, and because of that we have coronary and other health issues mounting. This is only one of many lifestyle choices that leads to bad health. The list is long, but it is all around us.

We should be involved in tobacco awareness and cessation as oral cancer survivors and patients. But that awareness is lost on people who are already part of our family here. We need more people educating our kids before they start, (outdoortexan kind of work) a government that will finally get this poison off our streets instead of being more interested in making money from this highly profitable crop, that is the single most preventable cause of disease and death in our country and around the world we export to. If we become strong anti tobacco advocates in the public arena with our stories it does good, if we beat each other up here it does nothing. Revelation at a point in life where you cannot undo the problem you now recognize is particularly painful. I would prefer this board not become a vehicle to add to that pain.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics