Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#35465 08-13-2007 12:03 PM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Carwrecks & BigMacs are not even in the same ballpark. No one in the world is going to tell anyone of you smokers anything because your not willing to listen to the facts. What I find it hard to understand is at the bottom of each one of your replys, is what smoking has done for you.
That we all have incomon. Squamous Cell. I got it from Smoking because I would not listen to people tell me it is BAD. You don,t have to stop keep puffing away, I made a choice not to don,t want my children to nor do I wish it on any of my love ones. Barb T now maybe after reading this you can see your not alone, they have every reason in the world to keep smoking, really Sad.

Tongue Cancer, stage 4, spread to neck/ Radical neck, 3 chemos, 33 radiation. 5-18-2005
#35466 08-13-2007 01:15 PM
BarbT Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I did not open this topic to get everyone upset... i just had a question and wanted answers...it is each and everyone of our own choices what we do in life and as some of you said "yes we know its a bad choice" and i know cancer is a bad thing and i know you dont have to be a smoker to get it, smoke is in the air no matter where you go, and im aware that smoke doesnt even play a role in some cancers, i know its a habit to smoke, i have bad habits of my own, smoking not being one of them but the diet pop can be just as addicting and im sure it can cause health problems too..what doesnt cause health problems in the world anymore?
But to all of you who responded i do have compassion for you all and i know what its like being with a person with mouth cancer, i would do anything in the world for EzJim,,it just upset me when he lit that first cigarette after his surgery but it is HIS CHOICE and no matter what i will be here for him..who ever said nagging will get me no where is right it only makes the whole thing worse.. so i give up on that.. as i said its HIS CHOICE...
thanks for the information you guys all gave me i do guess it helps me to understand some of what i needed to know... THANKS AGAIN BarbT

Barb
#35467 08-13-2007 01:54 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Barb,

I think your question was just fine. So do not feel bad for asking it. It was a good question.

My husband quit smoking 13 years ago, but heres the catch.. he chews now. My son quit smoking too... he chews now. You can imagine my up set with this!! I have told them both to quite the chew, and I would rather see them smoke. (not really) The chew is worse. I just know I will see one of them start down this path I just got off of.

I love that saying from Movie "Stupid is as Stupid does" Something like that. Well it seems to Run thick in my house.. Ha ha.. eek

Take care,
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
#35468 08-13-2007 02:35 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

We

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#35469 08-13-2007 04:11 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Dogman, where in the world did anyone in this thread condone smoking after treatment? I know I don't smoke and I don't believe anyone else on the thread does either. What I said to you is why are you angry at anyone but yourself? Don't worry about other smokers, it's their choice just as it was YOUR choice when you were smoking. If you want to be angry with YOURSELF fine, but it makes no sense to strike out at or judge other people that smoke. So you're "you smokers won't listen" lecture was way off base and out of line.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#35470 08-13-2007 05:41 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I went with Dennis to Johns Hopkins today. He will have to face surgery this time around.........base of tongue reconstruction, lymph nodes removed, trach, feeding tube (again!)....and most probably, radiation to the tongue graft.

The doctor smelled the smoke on his clothes, and went through the whole speech on why he had to quit. My husband does not lie....never has to my knowledge....he looked at this doctor, promised he would quit, and promptly left to find a smoking area.

It may be easy for you to sit back and pass judgement on someone you find inferior, but, you don't know this man. If you did, you would understand how far he's come, how hard he works for his family, and never asks for anything in return..........he just smokes.

It's not fair to judge anyone....and especially someone who already feels quilty for putting his family (not to mention himself) through the cancer treatments. How dare you?

Love,
Mandi

Stage III tonsil, Dx 8/14/2002,chemo and rad...reoccurance 8/3/07,Base of Tongue,vocal cords,stage IVA,total larynectomy and glossectomy 9/4/07 with pec flap...reoccurance Nov. '08 and Feb. '09 (positive margins remained after each operation) Second pec flap May 7, 2009. Still positive margins.
#35471 08-13-2007 07:52 PM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Dogman the subject is emotive and your presentation of it is down right apalling.
As the widow of a man who paid the ultimate price for his failings i know from many months of posting on these boards, that the one thing you should do before writing,is to consider the affects your callous remarks may have on others who are not as saintly as you.
The subject is a great discussion point but not a chance for a reformed smoker to get on his soap box and condemn others who may be trying but havent succeeded.

You might just as well ask why a woman who's husband beats her black and blue stays with him rather than runs for the hills.Human failings are not something the layman should criticise leave that to the experts who at least have some degree of sensitivity.

liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
#35472 08-14-2007 12:24 AM

I would like to say something on smoking i am recovering from cancer of the tongue and smoked from when i was sixteen ,if you were sixteen you were allowed to smoke at my school in break periods in the smoke room with the teachers which we did , this was a grammar school at which i stayed till i was nearly eighteen happily smoking away ,the teachers did it so it must be OK , perhaps i should sue them for a bad education (better at smoking than grammar you poss have noticed ) anyway i smoked until i was told i had cancer then stopped , then started again telling myself it would be OK till i started treatment ,then stopped again this was in march this year while i was in treatment i was so ill i could not smoke even though i watched my wife smoke who is a nurse( it never ceases to amaze me how many in our health service smoke ) , the problem is now i am feeling better it is almost as hard not to start smoking again as it was having cancer ,i have spent hours on the Internet trying to find some info on smoking ( in moderation ) would possibly not that harmful or perhaps cigars or a pipe maybe ,it is as hard for a long term smoker to give up smoking as it is to fight this disease so i certainly would not criticize any one with cancer for not being able to stop it hard enough fighting the cancer, hopefully as the recover (if they do) they will see that they are a lot more likely for it to come back if they carry on , i am not smoking now but i hope i can carry on not smoking i have had a go but it tasted horrible so i now i would have to teach myself again ,what i am trying to say is leave people alone with there smoke problem they know what they are doing let them get on with it , and if any one finds a site that says smoking is good for you let me know , and lets have some moaning about drinking because you are just as likely to get throat cancer through drinking ( well nearly ) and i don't think i will ever give that up , cheer everybody Allan

age 52 heavy drinker and heavy smoker stage 111 squamous cell at base of tongue trying to give them all up ,8 lot of cetuximab and 35 lots of radiation , gave up smoking at the start of treatment. only drink now in moderation
#35473 08-14-2007 12:44 AM

Dogman - I am glad that you made the comments you did. They were honest and you and all of us have a right to our own feelings. I'm sure it represented what many of us non-smokers were thinking but were afraid to express. I am also grateful to Barb and everyone else's comments and especially Brian's post. It has helped me to understand my son Paul's anger at why he (non-smoker) got cancer and his brother (smoker) did not. It has also helped me to understand and be more patient with my older son's difficulty in quitting. Certainly, no one "deserves" to get cancer, whatever the cause for its appearance. I prefer to be angry at the cancer beast itself especially if it helps me to fight it.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#35474 08-14-2007 01:19 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Brian,

You made an excellent point regarding the often times comment of the doc delivering the Dx to the tobacco using patient. This is exactly what my ENT did in April of '06 when handing down my verdict. I told her that I obviously caused the cancer from almost 40 years of smoking and she tried to shift gears. She said "don't kick yourself while you are down. 8% of all base of tongue cancer victims have never used tobacco". Yeah, at first that sparked hope until it sunk in that. . .DUH!. . .that means that 92% of BoT victims were/are tobacco users. A little voice then told me, "Bill, do the math".

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics