Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

My mom's follow up appt with onc is tomorrow--finally! Yesterday she showed me her tongue-the site where the tumor is now looks like a mountain with a white top! She's in incredible pain, I have no idea what I can do for her. Prior to this her onc prescribed percocet for pain, the rad onc gave her a tube of lidocaine to apply to spot, also, the onc gave her lidocaine liquid which the pharamacist recommended that I make a spritz of lidocaine, maalox and benadryl. She showed me yesterday and I felt dizzy looking at it! Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do to relieve it? I would like to try to give her some relief before her appt tomorrow. Thanks. Donna

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Donna,
Call the onc or the physician's secretary and tell them she needs a stronger prescription. Have you pharmacy number ready. They should call in a prescription.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
OP Offline

Thanks Eileen.
I called and they asked if she would be ok till tomorrow--her appt time. I responded why would I call today if she could wait till tomorrow? I must sound like a nasty nut today....soooo frustrated frown I feel so helpless in trying to make her more comfortable. Heading out with my older daughter to go and buy a cowbell from our local feed market...think that will be loud enough to alert everyone if she needs us!! Trying to prep for whenever we can get her in surgery. My nerves are shattering....but if I stop and take a few deep breaths I find strength.

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.

Good for you in reminding the medical folk that your mom needs attention NOW TODAY, not later. My experience is that the condition can shift radically, between one hour and the next... and certainly between each day.

I am experiencing mouth-throat soreness, and my doctor prescribed a morphine mouthwash concoction. While the amount of morphine I get in each dose is only 1cc, I'm wondering if a similar but more potent dose would help your mom. Morphine is such a wonderful pain reliever. Sounds like they need to step up her pain relief choices, and she is lucky to have you to help advocate for that. Cutting the pain will allow her to better cope with all her other symptoms.

The cowbell is a good idea smile
I have a crystal dinner bell that I threatened to haul out and start ringing to get people's attention.

Keep breathing deeply. Good luck!

Nasopharyngeal carcinoma, epithelioma-like carcinoma. (T2ANOMO IIa). Completed 35 rad treatments June 19, 2007.
"When god closes one door he opens another; but sometimes it's hell in the hallway."
OP Offline

Joylight,
thanks for responding. I love your quote! I am going to make a copy of it and put it on her mirror!

Donna

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23