Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MKlein Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Monday my phone was ringing off the hook from various doctors and dentists. I'm starting to get butterflies in the gut. Yesterday I had my PET scan. Next week I'm getting my mouth pieces, face/neck tattooed and a visit with the Oncologist regarding Chemo. I'm hoping Chemo is NOT a part of all this but if it is required, so be it. I just wish all of this would all go way!! All the doctors are being really nice about all of this, however.
I have always been a competitive person; in my opinion, this cancer is trying to pick on the wrong person because I'm going to win this battle. I'm the General of this body; I'm ready for the fight! I have a lot more to do and accomplish in my life.
confused

Oral Squamous Carcinoma in the right tonsil, Surgery April 5th 2007, Non Smoker, Stage 3. Started IMRT treatment May 30th.
ccw Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi MK,

You will be surprised how everything will get to be a routine once you get started.

My experience was that everyone - doctors, nurses, admin people - was helpful. Some of the burden will fall on you, however, to always, always tell your doctors and/or nurses when you feel something is not right or not working (e.g., a particular medication) so that you can get what does work - they can't help you with what they don't know about. That will help you win the numerous small "battles" which arise throughout (and a little beyond) treatment.

If you have someone to go with you, that will also be helpful. My wife was my caregiver and was invaluable, even suggesting certain medications for some side effects.

Best wishes,

Chris

SCC left tonsil, 2 lymph nodes, modified radical neck dissection, IMRT (both sides) completed 10/25/06, Erbitux and Cisplatin weekly, Ethyol daily
MKlein Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you CCW,

I'm going to use the advice you gave me.

Oral Squamous Carcinoma in the right tonsil, Surgery April 5th 2007, Non Smoker, Stage 3. Started IMRT treatment May 30th.

Hey
make sure you ask about moving your saliva gland that my doc is going to do for me. he will be putting it under my chin so as not to damage it while recieving radiation. seem to be a new proceedure that no one knows about. i start my battle to kick cancers ass on may 8th...
i can't wiat keep me informed.

squamous cell carcinoma STAGE3
T2N1MO
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

MK,

Have you been tested for HPV?

No nodal involvement?

Slow down and write questions for all the docs ahead of time and write your responses beside each question with the doc present.

Aviat,

I am really curious how moving the saliva gland under your chin thereby leaving it in the path of normal rad is going to accomplish anything? Can you provide more details?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
MKlein Offline OP
OP Offline

Davidcpa,

I'm not sure what HPV or nodal is - never heard of it. I'll definitly be asking my doctor about these and writing them down.

Aviat,

I'll ask my doctor about moving the gland; if that works, I'll do it.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hey MK
Hey to everyone else. MK and I will be doing treatments at the same time. I just posted in "Symptoms and Diagnosis" under "No Treatment / No Hospice / Let's Roll!" I ASKED ABOUT THE SALIVA GLAND. No one has heard of it. My MO left (surgery) before I brought it up. But the 4 other doctors never heard of it?? My RO was interested in it but had never heard of it. MK, I know how you feel, this all hit me hard, the time has come. In my case it seems like a YEAR has gone by, waiting. But the fear is setting in now. I also forgot to mention the HPV. I had all these questions to ask, but I was in awe in the presense of these 5 doctors and the hospital CEO. It seemed to me that they went out of they're way to make me feel safe, and assured that I was in good hands. That I was not just some charity case. MK, when this is all done, I would love to get together and go scrambling together. We'd have a blast. Maybe even get a couple "new" scars. Sorry to write so much in your thread, but were gonna be neck and neck in our race for the cure! Hey, what about a Poker Run?

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
MKlein Offline OP
OP Offline

PeteyB,

You can write anytime in my thread, man. You

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23