Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello everyone.....I have a question from my grandma......:-)) She has an ulcerated poorly differentiated tumor in her mouth on her gum. This thing is huge and growing by the day. This is the 3rd time it has burst. The smell is awful.....I could just imagine what it must taste like. She would like to know if she can use mouth wash? She thinks it would make her feel better....:-))

We are still trying to find out exactly what the game plan is. She is having the CT on Monday......pre-op on Tuesday......2nd biopsy on Wednesday. She is suppose to stay in the hospital for 2 days.

If anyone can offer any suggestions......and knows about using the mouth wash we would greatly appreciate it.....:-))

Thank you.

Christy

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Christy,

Alot of us use Biotene toothpaste and Biotene
mouthwash. You can purchase both of them at Walmart. You don't want to use a mouthwash with alcohol in it. Biotene is made for people with problems we have. Tell your Grandma I am praying for a full recovery for her. Tell her for me "It does get better"

Your Friend, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hey Christy,
Dan uses Biotene and also a mouthwash we purchased online called Betacell. It has carrot juice in it and I think you can read about it online at maybe betacell.com. I will keep you and your grandma in my prayers...I know as a caregiver how overwhelming and fearful this is for both of you. All of us on this board have lived it for different lengths of time, and it's scary but does get better, like Dan says.
God bless and take care,
Debbie

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
OP Offline

She says it is throbbing and now her nose is running and she said she is loosing her taste buds? The swelling in her face is unbelieveable! Does this sound like the cancer is spreading? Is it possible that it could be something else? Are these comman symptoms for these tumors? I am sorry I am asking so many questions......:-(( I just don't like this waiting, knowing the cancer is spreading, and most of all.....her pain!!

Christy

OP Offline

Found the mouthwash.....:-)) Thank you everyone. We got her the toothpaste too. She doesn't have any teeth, but that is okay. Mom even bought a Winnie The Pooh baby tooth brush for her.....LOL

Christy

Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

God love you, Christy, for being such a loving granddaughter! I hope when my grandchildren grow (they are now age 14 months and 2 months!), they'll be as wonderful as you are! Hug your grandmother for all of us here - we are praying for you all.
Love
Nicki

Nicki, wife of Thomas
dx July 2004, SCC, Stage 4 Tonsil. Tx begun 8/4/04. Cisplatin/Xeloda x 4; IMRT 7 wks, 8/7 - 10/25/04 Modified Radical Dissection (right), Selective Dissection (Left) 12/10/04.
OP Offline

Thank you Nicki.....:-)) My grandma and I are VERY close. I talk to her every day.....sometimes 3 or 4 times.....LOL This is eating me up inside, but I will stay strong for her.....no matter what!!

We will know everything on Thursday.....two more days of long waiting. I just hope they can fix it....whatever it might be.

Thanks again for all your support.....:-))

Christy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics