Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Paul R Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Amy & JoAnne,

Thank you for the suggestion on contact and massage. Mom's left leg continues to bother her. The live in aid is massaging her foot and leg daily. It is helping.

I agree completely about touch... I try to spend some of my time with her every visit just sitting next to her holding her and consoling her. Since my dad is gone, he is not around to hold her throughout this journey.

I stayed with her over last weekend. Since I am such a deep sleeper (I have slept through many a storm (even a few earthquakes...) I got a great idea from a co-worker (thanks Ron...). I bought a wireless door bell ($25 bucks) and hung it on the wall of the second bedroom (uses 3 C batteries). The door bell package came with 2 small button units (for front and back door application). Mom can easily push the buttons. I put one button next to mom's bed and the other she carries in her robe pocket. If she needs me anytime through the night (if she is in bed or in the bathroom) I am just a pushbutton away. Of course, my mom had to push it about 10 times the first day just to test me

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Paul

I think of you often ....and sounds like things are under control and you seem to have a sense of peace in your last post .I am glad you found the ice cream ..it really sux when ya can't have what ya like ( at anytime in life LOL ) . enjoy the shore ..it is beautiful AND relaxing ..Kknow that my thoughts are with you and mom .

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Paul, you are a beautiful man. Amy in the Ozarks

P.S. for "interested others" Paul's idea of the wireless doorbell is great! And one that helped me alot was a 1st class baby monitor- I hooked the baby speaker to John's bed and the receiving end to my bed upstairs and I could hear every sound he made.[my DIL now uses it and she can hear her baby in his crib when she is outside with the 3 yr old]These are both great comfort features for caregivers.

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

I have a wireless doorbell, too. It consists of a sign on my front door that says "Knock loudly, doorbell out of order". Good ideas tho' on doorbell and baby monitor. My son's "call button" was sending text msg from his bedroom to me in living room or wherever. Paul - I'm glad for ice cream, the beach and for your sisters helping you out. Hope you and your family have a really nice relaxing time at the shore.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Paul R Offline OP
OP Offline

3 hours can sometimes mean a lifetime...

3 hours after my last post yesterday, I got "the" call from my sister that it was time to take mom to the hospital. Her condition had worsened overnight so significantly that she did not sleep much through the night. The leg discomfort, now diagnosed as a blood clot in her leg, was causing her major pain.

I raced down to see her... I got there the same time as the ambulance. Mom, now barely able to stand, stood defiantly by the sink lighting her last cigarette (made the ambulance techs wait until she finished). I smiled... But, it was sad to see the addiction that caused her cancer (most likely) still owning her till the end.

Once at the hospital, the IV morphine pump was hooked up... Started at 1ML per hour... Now up to 4... Mom is asleep 95% of the time.

It's 5 pm eastern... I am taking my kids to see their grandmother for the last time. Its sucks just to type that statement...

I do not have much time to type, but I wanted to make sure I had at least one more update entered her while my mom is still alive. Sadly, the next time I get a chance to update you guys will be to deliver the final sad news.

Thanks,
Paul

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hey Paul, what a long journey this has been for you and your family. At some point in the future, the memories that you have been making with your Mom this past year will be comforting to you. She's quite a character who clearly does things on her own terms. I'm glad that she got to stay home as long as she did and I hope that her passing will be an easy one. My thoughts are with you and your family. You are a strong, loving son - and you've done a great job supporting your Mom. I'm sure that made it easier for her to deal with everything she had to face. Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.

Paul, you are such a compassionate and caring son. My heart goes out to you, to your Mom and to your family. Please do get back to us when you can.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Paul R Offline OP
OP Offline

Mom passed away on Sunday August 5th. I have much info to enter but will need a few weeks to gather my thoughts. I want to thank all of you for your unconditional support. I see my mom's strength and compassion in all of you.

Thanks,
Paul

"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Paul
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know that it's been anticipated by you and your family for some time, but that makes it no less a tragedy. This Beast takes so much........
My prayers are with you
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06

Paul, I'm so sorry to hear about Mom but she is beyond all the pain and frustration this cancer causes. I hope that you and your family will find comfort in how you all pulled together and supported each other. Please let me know if there is anything you need. My thoughts are with you.
Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics