Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hello Everyone,

I have a question. The radiation oncologist for my mother with gum cancer that spread to her jaw bone has now told her that IN ADDITION to seven weeks of daily radiation, he wants her to undergo chemotherapy at the same time. He told her that it helps with the radiation.

Has anyone had experience with that?? It seems to me that this much treatment at the same time would cause more harm than good.

I hope you all are doing well and was wondering if someone could help me with this. Thanks again. I love ya all

Stephany

Stephany.Daughter of mother who passed away 3/26/05 from Recurrent Gum Squamous Cell Carcinoma. She had 3 surgeries, and 6 weeks radiation, and then passed due to infection. I miss her very much. She was 65 years young when she passed. Love you Mom!
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Stephany, the standard explanation is that the chemo makes the cells more receptive to the radiation. I opted for this, figuring I wanted all available treatments. Side effects depend on the person and the chemotherapy drugs used. When you find out what chemo she will have, we can better tell you what to expect, although the chemo nurses are wonderful about that. I had five chemo treatments and it was not terrible at all. My advice is to take advantage of everything that is offered.
Joanna
P.S. It apparently works, at least some of the time, because i feel like a million dollars and have since treatment finished. I wish the same for your mom.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

As explained to us, the chemo (although not a cure for head and neck cancer) is effective in making the cancer cells more receptive to radiation treatment.

If anything will weaken these cells, in my opinion, it is well worth the effort.

Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Stephany, like Joanna, I received chemo as part of my treatment. I was given 4 rounds of cisplatin concurrently with my radiation. The consent form I signed stated that such combination was expected to generate greater 'power' to kill the cancer cells but the side effects could also be more damaging than when radiation alone. Every person reacts differently to the treatment but if you don't give a try, you may regret later. Having chemo may not necessarily bring more harm than good in your mom's case.I think many of us here had chemo as part of the treatment and they can give you more insight.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

My radiation oncologist and my medical oncologis both recommended Chemo in conjunction with radiation. I receive chemo weeky and radiation daily.

Stage 3, t3, n1, m0, Squamous Cell Carcinmo, base of tongue, no surgeries other than biopsy, 36 rad treatments, 6 weeks chemo., Currently in treatment, no side effects.

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I also received chemotherapy along with radiation for the reasons. I was told also that the chemo seems to make the radiation therapy more effective. I got cisplatin and taxol in small doses once a week.

I had chemo before to shrink my tumor which did not work and cried when I thought I would have to have it again, but it was in much smaller doses. I didn't loose my hair, except where radiation got it.

I would recommend a central line. My veins are toasted from all the chemo. They can hardly draw blood anymore.

God Bless
Lynn

Stage 3, N0, M0 oral tongue cancer survivor, 85-90% of tongue removed, neck disection, left tonsil removed, chemo/radiation treatments, surgery 11/03, raditation ended 1/04, lung mets discovered 4/04,
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Thank you all so much!!

That is such valuable information. I have printed the pages to give my mom and sister.

Darrell: How are the treatments going for you? I wish you all the best and my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Joasnna, Mandi and Lynn: That is exactly what they told my mom. I believe five treatments, one a week. I guess the thought of both treatments at the same time seemed very excessive but since you all have recommended it. I feel much better! Thanks and God Bless you ALL!

Lynn, I will recommend the central line to my mom. Do you think she still needs that if she is having five treatments?? Thanks Lynn and I am sorry to hear about your veins. I hope you are doing better and I am happy you did not loose your hair.

Thanks to all of you!!!

Stephany

Stephany.Daughter of mother who passed away 3/26/05 from Recurrent Gum Squamous Cell Carcinoma. She had 3 surgeries, and 6 weeks radiation, and then passed due to infection. I miss her very much. She was 65 years young when she passed. Love you Mom!
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Karen,

Thanks for the insight in here. I just find it strange that after my mom's SECOND surgery to remove gum cancer, that they FIRST RECOMMEND RADIATION, now CHEMOTHERAPY. It makes me wonder why this wasnt suggested after her FIRST surgery to remove part of her jaw bone a year ago.

Thanks so much Karen. Were the side effects worse because of the chemo? Or are the side effects just from the radiation?

Thanks Karen and I have you in my thoughts and prayers

Stephany

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Stephany,
I had radiation and chemo only and have been cancer free for over a year now. I have some minor effects from the radiation and my WBC is still a little low from the chemo but it didn't damage my veins. I only had 2 chemtherapy sessions anyway and I doubt they would put in a port or shunt for 2 or 3 infusions.

As far as commenting on the earlier treatments, you would need to give us much more detail. Was her cancer SCC or Melanoma? Who found it? Who treated it (please don't name the doctors - just titles)? Was it treated at a CCC? How was the recurrence found? Is it a recurrence or a new primary? What was the original staging? What is it now?

Even then none of us are doctors. It would certainly be a question I would be asking them about (offline from your Mom - no need to raise her fear levels).

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

Stephany,
My husband had 7 rounds of chemo...Cisplatin and Taxol and 41 rad treatments. He did not have a port...had just a little trouble because his veins were a little hard to find. We were told the same thing, that the chemo would help make the cancer cells more receptive to the rad treatments. Dan had the max radiation possible to tongue, throat, both sides of neck. His chemo wasn't too high a dose, therefore, it wasn't too bad and he didn't lose too much hair. It just made him very pale and weak. He had chemo/rad on Mondays...the chemo was about a 4 hour treatment. He was pretty good thru Wed. Thurs. and Fri. were definitely sleep days all the time. It got worse towards the end, but they had added two extra weeks of chemo/rad, so 8 weeks is a long treatment time. He is over two weeks out from treatment end and is just now starting to feel a little bit better. There was no improvement for two weeks and they told us that, but it was hard. He is feeling better now and a bit stronger. It just takes time. We have a wonderful support system and that has helped so much.

Your family is in my prayers!
Debbie

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics