Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

You know, the truly great thing I can say about this is that Scott and I have no regrets.

We have honestly crammed so much living into the time we've had together. We started dating in 2001, then bought a house and got married in 2002! (It was a few months later that he stopped smoking and a month after that that the cancer was discovered.)

Since our very first day, we've made the most of all of our time together. He wined me and dined me from day one. He courted me with love notes and we enjoyed going hiking and fly fishing as much as going to jazz concerts. Immediately we became a family, because my teenage daughters, who generally did not care to be around men (they have a noninterested father), absolutely loved Scott from the moment they met him. I was astounded. THEY started planning family game nights and I had to wait my turn to sit beside Scott! And he has taught us so much about life. It's incredible. Our whole relationship has felt so right from the start; I know with no doubts whatsoever that we were meant to be. I know a lot of people pooh pooh that kind of thing for sounding sappy, but I'm here to tell you that true and meaningful love does exist and is intended to prepare us for things to come.

We have never wondered why Scott came into our lives "just in time" to get cancer...my girls and I know that he needs us now more than at any other time in his life. Yes, it is unfair and I'm disappointed and still angry that we don't get more time together, but I also know that I would not want him going through this cancer alone or with someone who didn't care so much about him.

Thank you all for allowing me to share our story here. It means so much to me.

Christine

Wife of Scott: SCC, Stage I retromolar 10/02--33 rad; recurrence 10/03--Docetaxol, 5FU, Cisplatin; 1/04 radical right neck, hard palate, right tonsil; recurrence 2/04--mets to skin and neck; Xeloda and palliative care 3/04-4/04; died 5/01/04.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

"I know a lot of people pooh pooh that kind of thing for sounding sappy, but I'm here to tell you that true and meaningful love does exist and is intended to prepare us for things to come. "

I'm with you Christine. I believe that if Mike & I would have met when we were young we'd have hated each other. We found each other at the right time of life for us. And I - like you know we were meant to be.

There are special people and moments in our life and some of us are lucky enough to have the two together.

Thinking of you and Scott.
Dinah

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Dear Christine,
I continue to pray for you, Scott and your girls. I pray that some kind of experimental drug will work for Scott. It does happen. Meanwhile, I love hearing your "love story". I have one from being infatuated, married very young, tolerating each other, liking each other and always deep down loving each other. Now I truly feel like we are soulmates and as hard as it is for Dan going thru this terrible pain; seeing the one you love so much suffer is definitely one of the hardest things I have ever been through. Thank God for anxiety meds and sleeping pills to sometimes get me thru. I try and trust God as He knows the future, but it's hard not to worry. But by name, know that you are in my daily prayers!

Hang in there!
Debbie

Debbie - Caregiver for husband, Dan, diagnosed with tongue cancer 7/03. Partial gloss., mod. neck dissections, graft. Recurrence neck tumor 12/03. Radical left neck dissection 12/24/03-unable to get all the tumor. 8 weeks chemo/rad beginning 1/12/04.
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Dear Christine

Thankyou to you and Scott for sharing your story and thankyou for teaching us about courage and love. You are in my heart and my thoughts.

From Helen, with love.

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Christine, there's no need for apology for sounding sappy. Times like this are made for such. Very sorry to hear about Scott, my prayers are with both of you.

I lost my first wife to cancer, ironically she was a widow, lost her first husbad to viral encephalitis(sp?).

One thing she taught me was to savor every moment, experience life. It's too short, even if theres no illness lurking, just one trip to the doc, one mosquito bite, one mysterious combination of circumstances, and things change.

A friend of mine who is about 10 years older than I and has 2 young children, knows that he probably won't live to see them grow up. His main project is to put together "his life and times" so his children will maybe get to know him better through this media. You mentioned in another post that Scott is doing the same sort of thing, maybe this is a good idea in general. Not wait until it seems the final journey is near.

Let this experience be a reminder to all of us to enjoy life, it's very precious.
Bob S.

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Christine,

You don't sound sappy in the least. You are a truly corageous and wonderful woman with a beautiful story to tell about you and Scott. What he has done in the short time you have had a life with him for you and your daughters is wonderful. I too came from a one parent household (a disinterested father) and the boyfriends that my mother had growing up really never taught me anything about life and loving etc. Scott has made such an impact on their lives and it truly comes through in your posts. They will cherish that for the rest of their lives.

Since my mom was diagnosed with her oral cancer in April my world has not been the same. She was twice the woman for raising us (both mother and father)that is why this has been so tough for me. I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

Thank you for sharing your story. You and Scott are in my prayers daily.....

Danielle

Originally joined OCF on 12/12/03 as DaniO or Danijams
Dani-Mom SCC BOT & floor of mouth surgery-recur then surgery/rads & chemo completed 3/04
surgery 11/06 to remove dead bone & replace jaw w/ leg bone & titanium plate
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear Christine,

Not many of us have met face to face, but occasionally a post makes me feel like I know that person inside-and-out immediately. Your posts have touched me this way.

The unconditional love that you feel for Scott is saturated in every word that you express.

You....YOU....are a special person. Don't lose sight of that.

Unfortunately, it seems things will get worse before they get better, but there are many people here that know your strength, and will help in any way possible.

I'm so sad for what you are going through, but, please know that you are one of the most blessed people I've ever met.

God Bless,
Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

You are all so kind and thoughtful. Thank you for your prayers and support. I honestly don't know how I would not have gone crazy by now if it weren't for this board. Scott and I have decided that when his time comes, our friends and family members will be directed to send donations to OCF rather than do the "usual" thing with flowers. I have gained more knowledge here through your collective wisdom, experience, and compassion than I have learned from any medical source.

Love,
Christine

Wife of Scott: SCC, Stage I retromolar 10/02--33 rad; recurrence 10/03--Docetaxol, 5FU, Cisplatin; 1/04 radical right neck, hard palate, right tonsil; recurrence 2/04--mets to skin and neck; Xeloda and palliative care 3/04-4/04; died 5/01/04.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23