Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#33075 12-29-2003 01:46 AM

Manid, sending you and the boys HUGE HUGS!!!!! I hav been offline for a bit while we coped with the holiday, doctor appts & treatment plans. I hope the intervention did some good but no matter, you have taken positive steps for you and the boys. You cannot change your husband, you cannot stop his drinking - he is the only one that can do that.

Hang in there and keep us updated. There are obviously a LOT of people here who care what happens to you and your family!

Our Story: http://hncancer.com
Husband: Mike, age 62
SCC soft palate, Stage IVa, [T2 N2c M0]
Diagnosed 4/16/01, Palatectomy, Partial Pharyngectomy, Comprehensive
Radical Left Neck Dissection 7/25/01, 30 Radiation treatments 9/10/01,
Recurrent SCC Right Lymph Nodes 11/6/03, starting IMRT 12/29/03 & Cisplatin 12/30/03
#33076 02-15-2004 07:51 PM
Mandi Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear All,

First, thank you for your concern. I know it is very hard to support someone else while dealing with this disease. You are each special people that I pray for every night.

Dennis promised the world after his intervention...but did the usual song and dance....played us all on everything....and then fell right back into his old routines.

Shane and Cole are tired....so am I. Don't get me wrong, they love the "sober" Dad as much as I do. Unfortunately, that personality doesn't appear very often anymore. That's saved for his job.

If I "rock the boat" and identify his drinking problem, at all, then I'm in for a fight. And the boys suffer from his attitude.

Why are men like this

Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
#33077 02-15-2004 08:05 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

The correct phrase is why are "people" like this. My second wife was an unreformable alcoholic, and it eventually after years of joint counseling etc. got to the part where I just had to get out of Dodge City. We divorced and it was painful. But don't think that alcoholism has a preference to men or women as your last sentence would indicate... it's an equal opportunity deal, not exclusive to men. He obviously hasn't hit rock bottom yet. The only thing you can change now is you and your situation. The ball is really in your court not his.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#33078 02-15-2004 08:19 PM
Mandi Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

You are so right Brian.....once the send button was pushed, I realized where I was wrong.

I'm sorry, I was only thinking in the present tense.

This is not at all a gender observation. Only one that I've lost sight of..Dennis is male, my husband, and I don't have a clue how to wake him up the life around his family.

Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
#33079 02-16-2004 12:16 AM

Hi Mandi,
I am sorry to hear about Dennis's relapse. As you have found out - intervention without a committment to the program is a short lived deal. I too had an alcoholic wife who was unreformable and is still out there. Alcoholism doesn't care about gender, social status, race or age. That situation with my ex shortened my life as I am sure that your situation is shortening yours.

I would get tough on it at this point - restraining order, supervised visits, legal separation, etc. Its the only option you have left (based on your remark "but did the usual song and dance....played us all on everything" I take it that this has happened several times already). It may help him finally hit a bottom. Staying with him is rescuing and enabling behavior. At this point you must realize that YOU are the one with the problem - not him -as bizarre as that may seem.

Alcoholism is a cunning baffling and powerful disease. It says in the "Big Book" of Alcoholics Anonymous that "The alcoholic is like a tornado roaring his way through the lives of others".

There are a few things that you need to test him on if he makes more promises:
1. He has to be willing to go to any lengths to find recovery. He also needs to be honest and openminded.
2. He has to go regular AA meetings. If he drank every day he should be attending AA everyday and more than 1 meeting a day in the beginning.
3. He needs to find a sponsor and be accountable to that person (has to be a male). Preferably someone with some serious recovery and has worked all the steps.
4. He may need to go into a 30 day "spin dry" program (and maybe even a 3 day detox before that). He may need a residential halfway house program after that.
5. He needs to work the 12 steps. Alcoholism is merely a SYMPTOM of the disease. The steps will allow him to focus on the root cause.
6. He needs to buy a Big Book and read it.
The program is a lifetime journey. One never "graduates"

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics