Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#32969 09-30-2003 06:54 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Helen,
anxiety and depression are part of this disease and the NCCN has a guidance document specifically for "Distress Management" just to deal with those mental health issues. Some doctors ARE aware of these and will advise or prescribe medications to counteract the problems before they get out of control.

Most of us suffer extreme anxiety in the beginning, some with each followup appointment or even waiting for test and scan results. Most of us also suffer depression post treatment. So what you are feeling is "normal" under the circumstances. Like Lily, you also have a tremendous burden above and beyond your own issues, far too heavy for you to bear alone. Maybe your family doctor can give you a referal to a psychiatrist to get you appropriate medications to get you through the rough spot, "talk" therapy with a psychologist would be helpful also. This is a great place to vent in almost complete anonymity also -one of the fringe benefits of the internet.

Like you, I tend to be the positive, upbeat optomist.

There's a reason why they don't do cancer jokes on Jay Leno or late night comedy shows. I am grateful to God that I occasionally see some humor in it now, albeit a dark humor. Last week I emailed out to my supporters a list of 8 "benefits" of radiation.

I didn't see much humor in it while I was in treatment though, although I kept a stiff upper lip while I was dealing with the radiation techs, even though they warned me I would end up "hating them" (which I didn't -they were my life savers). So many people take it out on them -theirs is a thankless job. I always tried to keep it light with them and let them know how much I appreciated their efforts (no matter how much I was suffering).

Anyway you've come to a great place. We have walked in your shoes and understand what you are going through. Keep coming back!

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#32970 09-30-2003 11:00 AM

Helen
Please try to get an appointment with the ENT as soon as possible. Waiting when we find a lump AND have a new diffuculty swallowing is not a good idea. If the ENT can't see, you maybe your dentist can. Maybe the Dr. would be willing the schedule the CT scan before he sees you to save time. You just don't need the stress of worrying about the unknown in addition to all the other stress you are under. Pull some strings if you have to.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#32971 10-05-2003 05:32 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi everyone,
One week on and I'm still here, not because of any help from my family doc, but in spite of his supercilious attitude. He laughed said I needed a holiday, dismissed my concerns about my tongue and throat, I was left feeling neurotic! Only three weeks till my check-up, if they find anything at all, I shall take the report to my doc and stuff it where the sun dont shine!!!
Takes for all your support over the past few days I will keep you posted.
all my best wishes
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics