Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
ARIZONA Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,
can anyone please provide inforamtion/feedbaMy personal secreatary of 14 years, 59 years old, has jsut been diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer.

She ignored symptoms for months and has lost considerable weight. The doctors are putting a feeding tube in her stomach next weight before she begins her treatment.

They also told her she would probably need a tracheotomy soon too.

The doctors have her receiving chemo and radiation for 6 months.

What is the realistic outcome/prognosis/effects from this disease and treatment?

Thanks fos sharing.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hi Arizona, and welcome to OCF! Sounds like she has a great boss! I hope she will join us here and share with us as her treatments begin.

The feeding tube is a good thing, in my opinion. Keep in mind that no two patients ever respond to treatment in the same ways. There are many here who really care, and will gladly answer any specific questions she may have regarding her treatment.

Is she scheduled for surgery now, or following the chemo/rad treatment?

Where will she be treating?

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
ARIZONA Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,
thanks for the response. She is not scheduled for surgey. the doctors want to wait and see how she repsnds to treament. The tumor is very, very large.

She is in Houston, Texas.

Can she survive this? We sure are keeping a positive attitude.
Will she able to work or should we plan of hiring a temp?

Contributing Member (25+ posts)

One of the biggest blessings my son received while he was ill was the faith of his employer. He had only been working there a few months when he was diagnosed, was not eligible for FMLA, and was in a business that is very deadline oriented. It would have been easier (and far cheaper) for them to replace my son and move on.

They didn't choose to do that though. Instead, they talked with us to try to figure out a way to meet all of our needs. It happened that my daughter had just come home from college for summer break. While she wasn't as well trained or experienced as my son, she had many of the skills that were needed for his position. They hired her and allowed her to work whenever her brother wasn't able to, and my son was able to coach her through much of the work.

My son survived and recovered enough to return to work just as his sister went back to school.

The kindness my son's employer showed (and continues to show) our family meant more to us than I can explain. It was more than the financial ease of knowing his insurance would continue. It was the idea that there was a life still waiting for him -- the possibility that this awful thing would end and that he could pick up again where he left off.

I urge you to do the right thing. Talk to your secretary. Perhaps she knows someone (a friend, a relative) who is looking for temporary or part time work and would be a good fit for your organization. Keeping her job waiting for her could be just the motivation she needs to get through this.

And, from a purely business point of view, we tell everyone we know about the way my son's employer rose to the occasion. It's gained them at least a few new customers.

-darcy (Matt's Mom)

ARIZONA Offline OP
OP Offline

i have already assured her that NO ONE will replace her..NO ONE.
She has been very uneasy about her job security and I have reasured her over and over that it will always be there.

She has been a long time dedicated, loyal employee and I am very old fashioned. Loyalty is everything to me and we will see her thru this to the recovery side.

I am hoping to gather information from this site to help her thru this.

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Arizona... bless your heart!
Just wanted to let you know.. my husband had a stage 4 cancer and has fully recovered.
Marica

Caregiver to husband (Pete) Stage IV Base of Tongue. Dx 04 2003 Chemo/Radiation no surgery.. doing great!

Awww, Arizona, you must be a great boss to work for!

darcy (Matt's Mom)

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

My cancer was advanced and I had 6 weeks of radiation (and ct) not 6 months -No one gets gets treated for 6 months. But it will take a month or recovery for every week of (radiation) treatment so maybe that's where you got those numbers. My doctor told me, very unscientifically, that "it is a matter of blind luck". Although it doesn't hurt to be seen and treated at a comprehensive cancer canter, which I hope she is going to MD Anderson - they are in the top 2.

I had a large tumor as well and it completely melted by the 3rd week of RT.

It was no walk in the park and she will need a support network, drivers, caregivers, etc. for a while anyway. Realistically about 4-6 months

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
ARIZONA Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Gary,

thanks.. That was the type of information I needed. She is a wonderful person along with a great employee.

We want to be able to accommodate her and her needs with care and compassion.

They are insisting on a feeding tube for her next week before she starts treatment and most likely a traecheotomy soon after.

She has lost 30 plus pounds with the symptoms and she is now very thin.

Thanks for sharing and ifthere is anyone else out there who can add input please do so.

Thanks

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Arizona,

Does she have a family member or friend that can accompany her to her appointments? It's overwhelming to go through the treatment planning process. It took a month of appointments before my husband started treatment. How close is she to starting treatment?

My husband wasn't in any pain and was mentally alert. I wasn't the patient and was also able minded. However, the doctors appointments were daunting and exhausting for both of us.

There's a whole new terminology to learn for those who have not been exposed to radiation and chemo before. Plus, emotionally, it's tough to hear about what you may or may not experience in the upcoming months. So, the one thing I would say is to never go to an appointment alone if you don't have to...and, never go without a notebook and pen.

And, I hope you have invited her to join our forum. We're a pretty helpful, supportive group of people. I don't know how my husband and I would have gotten through the summer without the support of family, friends and this OCF board.

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users