Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
karena Offline OP
OP Offline

I was reading the posts about what type of doctor to see. I have an appt with an ENT who is supposed to be one of the best in this type of surgery. However, I scheduled my appt in Oct and my appt is Dec 5. That seems like way to long to wait, but what can I do about that? I asked to be put on the cancellation list in case something opens up earlier, but I don't think that is going to happen.It has already been at least six weeks since I first saw my GP. She put me on two courses of PCN. I went through a couple of weeks of total denial before I saw her again. Now I am waiting for the ENT appt. I guess I should tell you what I am dealing with. I have a shallow ulcer on the left posterior side of my tongue and swelling in my neck. To my GP's credit, I have many autoimmune processes including Shogren's, IBM, and others. I get mouth ulcers all the time, but they usually clear up with Nystatin swish and swallow. It is only two or three weeks now until my appt so I guess I just wait. But this seems like an awful long time to wait. I need some encouraging words. Thank you.

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

i also have had a six week wait or more now so i know exactly how you are feeling !!

derek

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Karena - It's good that you suggested being put on a cancellation list but waiting is still so very hard when you are worrying and wondering what's happening with your health. When my son Paul's biopsy showed cancer the oral surgeon's office made the appointment with the ENT for almost two weeks later. My son was shaken by the news and so was I. It was a Friday and after coming back to his house (he's a divorced father of a now 7 year old daughter) I told him (in my best "take-charge" voice) thatI would call and move up the appointment. I went into the bathroom so he wouldn't hear me make the call or see me cry. I was so shaken, I knew if I tried to call the ENT's office, they probably wouldn't understand anything I was staying through my tears so I called my daughter to ask her to call for me but she was not by her phone. In the meantime, my son's ex-wife called me to see how Paul was doing and I fell apart and thru my tears I told her I was trying to call the doctor to move up his appointment and she kindly offered to call, which she did and she got the appointment for the following Monday (three days later!). She did mis-represent herself as his wife (not ex-wife) but whatever she said, she did get them to move up his appointment which shortened considerably the "waiting" time. In my son's case, I believe that his ENT's office switches appointments often to accomodate anxious patients because in later appointments post surgery that we had, there were a couple of times when the office would call me to ask if we could accept a later appointment than the one that was scheduled and of course we complied. Perhaps if you ask them again and explain how the waiting is really hard on you, they might be able to get you in sooner or maybe you could have someone else call for you. It helps to be nice to the people in charge, too - especially if you want them to do something for you. It wouldn't hurt to try. In the meantime, try to stay busy - especially with something physical like walking, vacuuming (ugh - I hate vacuuming!) getting together with friends, etc. And keep in touch and let us know what's happening.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Karen and welcome. What part of Oklahoma are you in? I am from the OKC area and my daughter and her family still live in Edmond. I do miss being in Oklahoma but I am in Georgia now. I'm sorry I have no words of comfort on helping with the wait. The best thing I can say is stay positive. smile

Bill B. Dx 10-16-06 Stage 4 T2N2bM0 SCC Left Tonsil,3 nodes. 1st tx 11-28-06, last tx 1-8-07. 3x Cisplatlin, 5fu pump, and Doxetaxel. Modified neck dissection,20 Nodes removed, all clear 02-21-07. HPV+,33 IMRT start 3-22-07 70GY,Completed 05-04-07 smile

Hi Karena,

If you were referred to this ENT by your GP, I would call the GP and ask if they could get the appointment moved up. Nobody should have to wait 9 weeks to see an ENT. I would have asked for another name as soon as I was told how long the wait was. But, that's water under the bridge. Call tomorrow and suggest both options to your GP.

Good luck.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
karena Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all who responded. I knew I needed to try to up my appt, but I guess I needed you guys to validate that for me. I called today as soon as the office opened. I have an appt tomorrow at 10:30. I will let you know how that goes. You guys are awsome!!

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Karena,

You did what you need to start doing from this day forward...take the bull by the horns! You have to be your own advocate or you get lost in the crowd. It's hard to feel like you are being a pain in the A$$ but your health is important and this is a life and death situation.

My husband tends to be (in this arena only) very laid back and non-questioning. I have had to push, ask, challenge, research, and just plain be "out there"...sometimes I feel the nurses and docs "bristle"...but it has to be done or you take a back seat to everyone else. So.....

Congrats on taking charge!

Deb (Diplomatic but Determined)

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill

Awesome, Karena - Good for you!! When you get there - you might notice the names of the nurses or other office people in case you have to call about anything.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Hi Karena- Soon you will know exactly what it is and you'll be able to deal with it. I'm glad you are being aggressive about getting into see someone.
Praying all goes well for you. Love Miss Kate

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260