Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kale Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello- My name is Kale, I am 17 years old. I live in montana and work on a ranch.

When I was late in my 15 year, I started chewing tobacco. I quit recently, about a month or two ago. I became very very afraid of oral cancer.

It seems like all my freinds and mines father chewed for awhile in their lives and recieved no bad consequences.

Now, to say the least, I'm just freaking out about it alot. All my friends tell me to settle down, and that its nothing, I hadn't been doing it long enough or frequent enough ( a can lasted me a week usually, sometimes longer)

I have a receeded gunline on one tooth, and what looks like a little white bump, that i fear is cancer. Not much else, just a receeded line from irritation probably and a bump sort of thing the size of a pin head. I have a dentist appointment on the 15th of february, the first time in a year or more. I'm scared, and if I do have cancer I dont know what I'll do- have contemplated suicide at times so I dont cost parents money. My girlfriend of 2 years supports me and tells me she'll love me no matter what. I wouldnt be able to bear loosing her because I would have my jaw or face removed.

I have so many questions I dont know where to begin, I hope there is enough people here experienced enough to help me. I dont ever plan on using tobacco again. There are so many myths and everything about cancer I dont know whats true and whats not or anything- what I'll loose what I wont.

I'm a mess now and cant eat or sleep because I think about it so often. Any help will be so appreciated. I hope to correct my poor choices from the past.

Sincerely- Kale

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Kale,

Calm down. You've made two very good decisions. One in seeking professional input from a dentist. And the other to give up smokeless tobacco.

Your concerns may turn out to be nothing. If you need further medical care, your dentist will point you in the right direction.

I hope you've discussed your feelings with your parents. There are countless organizations that will help with the cost of the medical care if you need it.

Try not to worry, I know it's hard but it accomplishes nothing. Let us know what your dentist tells you. There are a lot of people on this site to lend support to you.

John

SCC base of tongue. Diagnosed as stage IV, Sept. '04. Partial glossectomy, Radical neck dissection left side, 37 Radiation sessions, Chemo x 7 weeks. Finished treatments January '05. Cancer surivor!
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Whoa...back up a bit and catch your breath! Don't let our mind run away with you. You probably don't have cancer, and likely that little white spot is something benign, maybe leukoplakia. But you're running off into having a facial disfigurement and suicide and all this, when you don't even know if you have a problem bigger than periodontal disease (gum disease) is getting too far ahead of things. Yeah chew is bad for you, and yes it can cause cancer

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Kale,
You probably don't have cancer but I wouldn't depend on the dentist to make that determination. You should make an immediate appointment with an ENT or Head & Neck surgeon, with cancer experience, and have it ruled out and get some peace of mind.

It's WAY too soon to worry about losing your face or jaw and even if you DO have cancer it's very unlikely that that is going to happen. Take a deep breath and relax - it ain't cancer until the pathology report says it is. Even if they decide to biopsy it - it is a painless procedure.

One thing that is NOT a myth is the risk from chewing tobacco and tobacco products in general is that they are the leading, most preventable, cause of death in the world today.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Kale Offline OP
OP Offline

Perhaps I am freaking out, yes. I am assuming that telling the dentist about my history of chewing would be the right thing to do- but would he be able to tell cancer? And where the hell would a head and neck surgeon be in montana. I intend to find this out.

I know my gums arent that bad compared to some of my friends who chew- hell theyre just peachy really. I have friends that you can see the bone below the teeth, and no gums are left- poor andrew, why wont he quit? It really confuses me.

But lately, I've had all the work piled on me at this ranch (my father is down and out with a healing eye from a retina reattachment operation) and it seems like my fear of it just kinda reared its ugly head. I tapered off the chewing gradually, and then one day- I snapped. I blamed the chew for my crooked teeth, my one lower gum, every thing. I went ape shit and threw my can out into the ditch. I Havent touched any since. I went as far as to not have drank any soda or eat much sugar for months.

Now, I imagine things, sometimes I think I imagine them, sometimes I think that I have cancer/ going to loose all my teeth for real. It's been a mess. And I cannot wait for the dentist- it feels like I will snap before I ever get there- and the fear of what he will say is killing me as well.

I find myself looking up stuff on the internet- only making my fears worse. I see all these pictures- but no information y'know? How long had these people chewed? 15 years? A year? Will a year and a half do that to me? What can they do if they catch it early? The questions go on and on. I search for answers, but I only find more fear. I find myself playing with my teeth and gums all the time and brushing and using mouth wash and stuff alot.

I learned a new respect for everything I must say- just how vulnerable I really am, even for how strong I am from all the work for my age. I've learned alot from reading here and admire alot of you. But most of all I thought I was handling all my problems in life so well and I've learned that I'm still a very unsure scared little kid still.

I hope someone here can answer how long it takes to get cancer from chew, but even if nobody can, I cant thank you all enough for putting up with me, and making me feel a little better tonight.

Kale

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Oh, Kale.....I just want to reach through this computer and give you a big hug.

Honey, take a deep breath.

Yes, oral cancer is a very serious thing, and I'm all for you getting the attention that your condition seems to warrant. You need the evaluation, tests, and anything else a professional can provide, to make a correct diagnosis.

BUT...given your stats....your chances of having cancer are on the lower end.

I also have had bumps on my gums like you have described. They were due to infection on the roots of teeth that were damaged in a car wreck years ago, and I was unaware of.

It scared me, I saw a professional, they did the right tests, and I'm still here 20 years later. (With my own teeth, to boot!)

Hang in there baby. You seem like a VERY mature young man who is concerned with his future. I'm the mother of a 15 year old and I wonder if he would be near as sensitive.

I know there is alot of info out there that can make you panic. If for some reason, you do have an oral cancer situation, we will be here for you, ok?

Love ya,
Mandi

Husband diagnosed with stage III tonsil and floor of mouth cancer in August 2002. Three rounds of chemo/42 RAD treatments. Upper right lung lobectomy in March 2003. (Benign)
Kale Offline OP
OP Offline

Well my dentist appointment got bumped to today and...

no cancer. no nothing. Said i have healthy teeth- healthier than most my age. Yes I do have a receeded gum line on one canine- that can be fixed with a soft tissue graft- IF i feel the need. He said there is an acceptable amount of healthy tissue on it still.

He didnt really look all that much. I asked him about cancer and he laughed and said "no, you nullified the possibility when you quit. You have a better chance of getting AIDS from a toilet seat." A humorus man.

I do have to get my wisdom teeth removed. Not looking forward to that or braces- but as long as I dont have cancer, life is good. I was thinking about having a biopsy at the ortho's anyways- just to put my mind at ease cause theres still that little white thingy under my skin.

But for the most part, I'm not really scared anymore. But I'm VERY determined to get my friends and peers to quit chewing- which is VERY prevelant here. I've already scared my best friend into quitting. But I have to do more really.

Its so bad. They make it taste like goddamn candy- YOU KNOW theyre trying to get the kids. Thats how they got me for awhile- alot of it taste like a lollipop for crying out loud. I remember it, apple, berry blend, peach- you KNOW thats directed twords the teens/ kids. I remember enjoying it because it didnt taste so nasty like copenhagen. Its just tobbacco companies trying to get kids. It's sick and evil.

Either way- I learned alot. I'm going to have a biopsy and stuff still. But I really thank everyone. Alot-

Kale

Kale,
That sounds great but please re-read my original post. I had a tumor so large that it was practically crawling out of my throat and a dentist, hygenist and oral surgeon "missed" it.

Many doctors will also blow off the possibility of cancer in young patients. Young patients WITH cancer are usually in deep s**t. I personally wouldn't sleep well until I was cleared by an ENT, especially with your history of chewing.

I saw many children being treated for cancer at UCSF - it is no respector of age, wealth or status.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Kale,

I agree with several of the others here that your chances of having cancer at this point are quite remote. However, your dentist needs to learn a thing or two if he dismisses the subject with "no, you nullified the possibility when you quit". I'm one of many people on this site who NEVER smoked or chewed tobacco, but still ended up with oral cancer. Unfortunately there still seem to be too many medical professionals who think if you don't fit the classic risk profile, you can't possibly have this disease.

Gary makes a good point that you should probably be seen by a skilled ENT for peace of mind.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
Kale Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for the information everyone! But please excuse my ignorance when I say that I do not know what an ENT is, where one would be at or anything about it.

I have to go to an orthodontist anyways soon, otherwise my wisdom teeth will grow on the inside of my jaw. Will a biopsy do? What else should I do? Any suggestions or pointers in the right direction- I dont expect anyone to do my research for me, I just need a shove in the right direction.

Heh, someday, if I have kids, and I catch them chewing or smoking... I'll probably kick their ass.

As for right now, I feel a little better, knowing that my gums are very healthy and all. I plan on eating better, avoiding soda and the like. (no tobacco use is a no brainer). I'm sure whatever branch of the military I join will hook me up with braces and a dental plan.

Thanks again everyone! Your help has been VERY appreciated and I hope your lives are all blessed!- Kale

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users