Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R16409 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all for the support and praryers. Mom wants to fight this! She is not afraid to die but she wants to fight. I guess we will go back and let the Dr's know this and perhaps get a second opinion and treatmeant options.

For the first time in a few weeks she was able to swallow some pills and drank some juice. It also seems like the skin tomors have shrank!

Thanks,
Rick

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Rick,
My brother is in the same place as your mother. He is only 32. He went for a check up at MD Anderson (Houston) about 3 weeks ago - he had about 6 knots (kind of like mosquito bites) on his neck at the time. As soon as his doctor saw him he said, "David, I don't like the looks of those knots." Cancer was also found in his throat. We, too, were told we are, medically, at the end of the road. They gave him from 1 week to a month - he has made it 3 weeks and is currently in the mountains where he longed to go, "before I get to feeling bad" as he said - as if he hasn't been feeling bad for 2 years now. My sister, who is with him, called today and said, "He's so sick. All the prayers that Maddie and Kaitlin (her 5 and 2 year-old daughters) have said for him aren't going to work. I'm not ready to loose him." I told her, I know he is sick (I left him just a couple of days ago), and, yes, he is dying, but, whether we lost him now or in a year or ten, we would never be ready. Sometimes I begin to feel sorry for him, leaving a wife and little 4 year-old daughter, but then I remember I have to celebrate his life and we have had so much more time with him than many people have with their loved ones. My husband's cousin lost his 41 year old wife to cancer at Thanksgiving. Their little girl is only 2, at least my brother had three more years than that with his little girl. It's not enough, but it is more than it could have been. I don't know if this helps, just support your mother as she fights this - my brother finally has his pain under control and refuses to give up- he will keep on keeping on, until he can't any longer. I don't know how old your mother is, but please find comfort in the years you have had with her - way too few, but so many more than some. Your mother and family will be in our thoughts. And, as Mark said, don't discount miracles. You never know when they will occur.
Tonya

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

My prayers are with you Rick for comfort and peace and strength as you walk this road. May God take charge of your Mothers care and give her the miracle of healing.

Blessing on your and your loved ones,
Barbara~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Rick--
As an adult child of a parent with oral cancer, I feel your pain and helplessness. Know that your presence and your love matter a great deal to your mother. Take care of yourself, too. I am thinking of you and your family and wishing you the peace that comes from love which lasts beyond this life, Tina

Daughter of 75-yr-old Dad with tongue cancer (T3NOMO) surgery and rt neck dissec 4/27/05; completed 27 X IMRT on 7/01/05; recurrance w/ surgical removal of another SCC tumor on 10/7 (he's also nonHodgkins lymphoma survivor since 1/94)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users