Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#27071 12-25-2004 01:26 PM
rdb7777 Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

I have more questions frown Sorry. I'm probably gonna drive yall nuts. Anyway I'm curious to know if many of you had much pain prior to diagnosis as I have been having slightly more discomfort lately. Monday I have to call and see when to go in for my referral but in the mean time,either I have waited way to long already(which I have anyhow) or perhaps the discomfort might be a positive sign(grasping at straws maybe lol). Still just sort of hurts on left side of throat and ear but I still have no dicernable increase in size of lymph node. I am the biggest baby..I had to cry this morning cause im scared and I have even lost my appetite. I am a big wuss. Sometimes I think that I would rather shoot myself than go through this but I have to many people around that love me for me to be so selfish. heh

#27072 12-25-2004 02:04 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi rdb7777

I certainly don't think you're a wuss and crying is a good way to let your feelings out. Cancer is scarey especially when you are aware of the sometimes difficult oral cancer treatment. It is OK to be scared - I was.

I wondered if it was worth it when I began radiation but, guess what, it was! I believe acceptance is a major step which helps with peace of mind. Also, if you can, don't worry about what the future may or may not bring, but try to live positively in the present and congratulate yourself on each day.

I'm sorry you have to wait for diagnosis over Christmas. I was diagnosed a few days prior to Christmas but at least I knew. I didn't have throat pain but did have shoulder pain because a tumour was involved with the accessory nerve. Your sore throat is not necessarily cancer and I certainly wish you a good outcome.

Please let us know how you go. If your diagnosis is cancer then the wonderful people on this site will help you through.

Best wishes to you, with love from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
#27073 12-25-2004 04:55 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi rdb777,

Read Helen's first two paragraphs again. She hit the nail right on the head. I was scared, I wondered and I accepted, also.

But, first and foremost, do not forget that it is not cancer until they tell you it is. Sending positive thoughts your way. RELAX RELAX RELAX

Peace
Jack
Dx 1/15/97 SCC rt. tonsil met to rt lymph node Stg IV,
Srgry 1/23/97 tonsillectomy & mod radical neck dissection,
Radiation 35 trtmnts both sides

#27074 12-26-2004 05:39 AM
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

We have all acknowledged how difficult it is to get an appointment, especially with an ENT over the holidays. Try to get back with your GP and discuss the pain issue. He may not be able to prescribe the strongest dose of the best pain med, but he should be able to give you something. At one point in between diagnoses one of my doctors suggested 800mg of Ibuprofin (Motrin). I had the over the counter bottle with 200mg/pill. After a day or so we finally got a pain prescription filled!

Don't give up! Keep going back to the doctor's office if that's what it takes. The last resort is a trip to emergency, which may be justified if YOU determine the pain is bad enough without any treatment. Good Luck.

David

T1N0M0 Partial Glossectomy 2/04, Recurrance w/ another P.G. 5/04. IMRTx33 7/04-9/04. T2N2M0 recurrance in throat, 11/04.
2nd tumor 1/06/05, Chemo 1/11-05 Died 02-16-05 Wife: Brenda
#27075 12-26-2004 10:49 AM

Hey, Cancer is scary! Crying is acceptable. Giving up is not!! Especially when you have loved ones. However, you don't have cancer, yet. You may or you may not. Again, it isn't cancer until the pathologist says it is. There are lots of weird painful things that could affect your throat & ears & produce pain. You need to stop obsessing and start focusing on staying calm. Positive thinking works for a lot of people (works for me, includes 'positive affirmations' and mantras), meditation works, and if you are a believer, prayer works. Exercise helps - walk every day or run if you are a runner. Do Not miss a day of exercise (walking or whatever!).

If you have to wait more than a week to see the ENT, ask your doctor for anti-anxiety drugs (it will be some type of anti-depressant). They work and will help you cope with the next few weeks.

My brother got a biopsy the next day after seeing his doctor. He told me he didn't sleep the entire night. He layed there and kept feeling the swollen lympth node. Classic example of anxiety! It appears you may have to go more than a few days before the biopsy, if so, you need to do something to deal w/the anxiety. Good luck & exercise, think positive (or meditate/pray), get meds and get to an ENT! - Candace

Sister of guy w/base of tongue cancer, Stage IV, Dx 4/03, finished Tx 9/03
#27076 12-27-2004 02:14 PM
rdb7777 Offline OP
OP Offline

My Wife managed to get me an ent appointment tomarrow. So maybe the doctor will figure out what is wrong hopefully. I'll try to push the doc to get me a difinitive diagnosis. I hope this doctor isn't another average joe, in it for the money loser. lol

#27077 12-27-2004 05:32 PM

Dear Rdb777: For a dose of good news & hope for youself, please read the previous post on this topic by wcleghorn. Up at the top of this column, hit the 'previous' button. Like you, Wayne was afraid he had oral cancer. His post of Dec. 27th (today) announces he has a virus, NOT cancer. Very good news! Keep a positive attitude, it could be you have a virus too. Plus, it sounds like your wife is good at solving problems! Good luck! And keep us posted - Candace

Sister of guy w/base of tongue cancer, Stage IV, Dx 4/03, finished Tx 9/03
#27078 12-27-2004 05:44 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Believe me when I say that most all treatment can be tolerated if it means living and staying here with family and friends. I had one of the most drastic surgeries amongst the members of this board and my life is wonderful....different but wonderful. I had my lower left jaw removed, that bone replaced with the bone from my leg, and then I had 7 weeks of radiation. It was rough and took lots of strength and determination but it can be done. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
#27079 12-27-2004 06:46 PM

Amen Minnie! smile

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#27080 12-28-2004 04:17 PM
rdb7777 Offline OP
OP Offline

Well I went to the ent and he looked me over pretty good. He said that it looked like my lingual tonsil was slightly larger on the left side but he didn't see anything that set off any red flags. He said he could biopsy it but that it might be painful and he wasn't really concerned. He gave me an antibiotic and something to take for a yeast infection and said to come back in 2 weeks. He also had me go and get some bloodwork. He had me show him my lymph node and after he felt it he said it wasn't pathological since it was moveable and was less tahn 2 cm (I think..lol) I'm hopeful that he is right and I feel somewhat relieved but just to be sure I think i'll request a biopsy on my next visit if I havent improved. Hopefully I'm just being oversensitive. I think 2 more week won't make much difference and maybe i do have a little problem with yeast as I have also suspicioned this myself. Anyway...I truly appreciate all the support. I'm not totally out of the woods yet but I am more hopefull now. The odds are on my side but I'll have to wait and see. P.S. I'm quitting smoking tomarrow (again..lol)as I need to do this whether im cacer free or not. Im gonna smoke a bunch tonight lol. But for the next 2 weeks I guess i'm ancer free. heh. Thanks again for wasting your time with me everyone. You've given me more support than I deserve!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users