Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Chis
Hit it with all the surgery you can, when it's gone it's gone, that what I have done, was hard and a lot of people thought it was over the top, but I know from this forum, no good early surgery is ever over the top, when it's gone it gone... end of story.. that road might be hard but it saves a repeat perforance.. good luck..
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04

Hi Chris,

I wanted to say hello to a fellow newbie. I was diagnosed with SCC just over a month ago and am trying to make heads and tails of all this. I have an 18 month old so I think I can imagine some of the things you are feeling. I try and live in the moment. It's hard sometimes, but it helps when I am overwhelmed with it all. As the others have said, become informed and go for a second opinion. We'll get through this!!

Lisa

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Chris I just wanted to say welcome to the site .
You have been given good advice ..go get that second opinion please! Don`t mess about with this....Can`t hurt, might save your life .

Take care
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Chris,

You may, insurance permitting, want to get that second opinion elsewhere. I'm not questioning the integrity or competency of you doctors, but I would assume partners would be on the same, or a similar, page. Are you near NYC? Lots of great places there. You appear to have an early stage cancer and that, aside from no cancer, is the best news you can get. Now, if you were late stages where would you go? Go there for your second opinion. Your first shot is your best shot!

Good luck,
Glenn

ChrisI Offline OP
OP Offline

I guess it might be helpful to go elsewhere, when I first thought about my doctors partner I just figured that there is no reason to believe they would concur for the sole reason thet they are in the same practice. From what I have reasearched so far his current plan seems to be what is standard practice. I will have more to go on as soon as I get the PET/CT scan. I am certainly not ruling out going elsewhere...just taling one step at a time. After the Pet results I will take that and the path report to get the second opinion.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Lisa, welcome to the site. Sorry you needed to find us. Would suggest you start a new thread of your own. That way we can better help you through this new experience you are entering. Some of the other folks are more skilled than I with how to manipulate this site, perhaps they can move it for you. At any rate, where are you in your treatment? Are you at a comprehensive cancer treatment center with a team of doctors working on your case? What is the stage and size of your cancer? Let us know and we will try to help you anticipate what's coming.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Chris,

I was diagnosed with stage I T1N0M0 tongue SCC at age 41 and I insisted on a modified neck dissection in addition to a wide resection of the tongue for two reasons: 1. there is a 20% chance of occult spread to the lymph nodes that won't show up on any scans; 2. this disease spreads through the lymph nodes and if they aren't present and I have a local recurrence, it will be more difficult for it to metastasize. The modified neck dissection is a relatively low risk surgery but I had to do a lot of talking to persuade my surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania to do it. Personally I have a lot more peace knowing that my lymph nodes were clear and now they are gone.

Barb

SCC tongue, stage I (T1N0M0), partial glossectomy and modified neck dissection 7/1/03
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users