Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#26696 09-07-2004 05:41 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

MeierEce,

I can certainly understand your anxiety and I am with Rosie on this one. If you need peace of mind, go to an expert and put this thing to bed before it destroys you. In my case, I had no symptoms or reason to go to the doctor other than a lump under my chin that eventually grew to the size of my thumb. I could see it in the mirror. I went to 4 different doctors for 7 months because I could barely turn my head in one direction. I chose the wrong doctors and just wasted my time and theirs. Finally, I went to a plastic surgeon because of the knowledge they typically have with all the nerves in the face and neck. I asked him to remove the nuisance from my neck. He wanted me to see an ENT for a workup for a second opinion. After going almost monthly to doctors I chose to just have it taken out. My wife was with me and had a hard knot on her neck to so we scheduled mine in the hospital and hers in the office. After surgery the doctor felt I had some type of bacterial infection in the lymph node and suggested the puss-filled gland was tuberculosis. On the following Monday it came back as metastatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma. I then had more tests and it clearly showed up on the tests. I even went back to a panoramic xray from the dentist and could see the cancer that my dentist didn't notice. I covered it with his staff as well in case it comes up in the future.

My point in all this is that I had no symptoms and eventually had a piece of the lump available for biopsy and then there is no question. Going repeatedly to doctors who have to guess is not your answer and based on the tests they have performed, I would imagine they would have found something by now. Get a biopsy of the lump and get on with the rest of your life. I can sense from your post that you are not convinced and even CT scans, MRI's, etc., will not give a 100% diagnosis. The lump is bothering you, get it checked. End of story (I hope).

In the meantime, do not waste all your waking moments worrying about what isn't. Even if you turn out positive with cancer, you have wasted an inordinate amount of your time. Your fears will only propagate more paranoia and more things to worry about. Spend time enjoying this new life you and your wife are bringing into this world. There are so many fascinating things surrounding creation and birth of a child and you may be missing out.

I believe any moment of any day I can concentrate really hard and realize my throat or neck hurts to some degree. I prefer to fill my time with other things so I don't notice it or I would be a basket case. Fill your thoughts with positive things and stop thinking about the lump all the time.

Just a few suggestions and lots of free advice!

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
#26697 09-07-2004 12:27 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Meier,
Lots of arm chair doctoring going on here. Since we are not able to make a diagnosis, we can only relate to our own experiences. While good intentions are the basis for these posts I find it disturbing to blow off your symptoms.

Like Rosie I say go for the trip to Boston. Of course I have no reason to know that you have been misdiagnosed but I am likewise still bothered by a lump of 1 inch and the other things you have said. A lump that size is certainly large enough to biopsy. All of the scans you have had have a finite resolution. In other words they are not perfect. I sense your anxiety, and for that reason get it checked again until you are sure and until those symptoms go away.

That said, I want to share the possibility that some of this anxiety is related to the fact that you are stressed about the baby (perfectly normal, I've had three). I will also suggest that since you probably have never spend a lot of time feeling around in your neck, that you will find all kinds of "lumps". It is best for you to find a doctor you can place your utmost trust in, and then believe them. If that means a trip to Boston, pack your bags.

Take care and keep us posted You aren't wasting my time.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#26698 09-11-2004 12:41 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Meier

I completely, absolutely, and totally agree that you should get a needle biopsy. It will give you the piece of mind your urgently looking for.

That being said, right after radiation concluded, I had a hard lump in the back of my neck. I freaked out, and I was positive it was cancer. Turns out it was my body freaking out over all the fun and games in itself.

Regardless, it just doesn't make sense to skip a needle biopsy. It's available, I assume relatively painless, and it'll calm you down. What's the harm?

Sabrina

#26699 09-13-2004 05:49 AM
OP Offline

I figured I would post a quick update. I am having the lump biopsied on Wenesday. I will let you know what comes of it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users