Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25831 05-08-2003 08:43 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Went to the Onco doc today, he has my slides and tells me that I am not going to get a diagnosis today because he is a clinician and not a pathologist. SOOOO, long story short, he feels that I have lymphoma on the base of my tongue (which I am unfamiliar with) and that the slides are being sent over to Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia. Come to find out that the pathologist over there was part of Memorial Sloan-Kettering at one point in time and is now the Chairman of Pathology at Fox Chase. The Onco feels that the biopsy was inconclusive because the original ENT did not get the part of the lesion that he needed to and that because of the solution it was put into, they will be unable to perform some test on it that it may need. With that said, he thinks I may have to have a repeat biopsy, but this time at Fox Chase and not at some local hospital. YEAH!!!! For once, someone actually is taking care of me!! He also wanted a PET scan done in the meantime, to look at this lesion and my enlarged lymph node, but according to the secretary in the office, I have to have a path report that says I do have cancer, not just a suspision of the doctors to get this PET scan done. Now, he says he will do it, but after he has confirmed my diagnosis. Uhh, I hate insurance companies!! Well, I am upset because I thought today was the day, but as it seems, it will still be atleast another week before I get this pathology report or a few weeks if I need another biopsy. This is truly a waiting game that I did not ask to play. I am in good spirits though because I finally told people at work and everyone is so supportive!! I knew they would be, but it is just the worrying that gets to me. Oh, and this guys gave me something for the throat pain, unlike the ENT who told me to take Motrin (the onco gave me lidocaine viscous). Like I said, I am glad someone finally wants to help me move things along. And thanks to you guys for listening!!!

#25832 05-08-2003 06:19 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Desiree..you are getting to be an old veteran at this game, and I am glad that things are moving along for you. I am sorry that you have to remain in the suspended animation of the unknown for a while longer. But it sounds like you have found a really good facility, where you belong and will get good and proper treatment if in fact you need it.
It is obvious that you are much calmer now than when you first thought that maybe you had cancer. That is the strange thing about being diagnosed. When it is new and you don't know much about it, the whole thing is overwhelming and very frightening. For some reason, once we are diagnosed or have spent some time going back and forth, like you have, things settle down and we become much more stoic about the whole situation. I still am hoping that it is not cancer, but I really admire you and appreciate that if you, in fact, do have cancer, you are now well informed and ready to do what you have to do to get past it and to be there for your beloved children.

Although I am quite a bit older than you, I started my family late and my oldest is just about to graduate high school and leave for college and the other two will be a freshman and sophmore in high school next fall. I love mine as you love yours and I know that you will get better and be there for graduations, weddings, and hopefully to one day hold your grandchildren.

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
#25833 05-09-2003 01:47 AM
OP Offline

See-that is why I love posting here. I get such a nice response from people I do not know. It was very much appreciated. You are correct when you say that I have become more "stoic" in the way I handle this now. I just told the doc "I am not crying because I am scared about the diagnosis, I just want you to get the diagnosis so I can get my treatment started and finished. I am crying because I do not know what I am dealing with". He totally understood where I was coming from and promised to move things along as fast as he could. I mean, hey, I have waited almost three weeks from the last biopsy, why not wait a couple more. I would not even mind another biopsy, so long as it yielded the proper results. He said that he thought it was probably a lymphoma that started on the base of my tongue and the right swollen lymph node in my neck may or may not be related. I looked these things up on the internet and a lymphoma that begins on the base of your tongue is classified as a type of non-hodgkins. I was thinking that if this is the case, which I am assuming it is, would I still be able to come in here since non-hodgkins is not exactly "oral cancer"? I think my case is unique because I read it is very rare to have a lymphoma begin in that area as they think this did and in the manner it presented in (lesion-like). Well, that is all for now and I appreciate your continued support for me.
Desiree'
P.S.
My fifteen month old daughter is trying to bite my thigh as I write this! Those are the days long gone, huh Danny? I can't wait until SHE is in high school and I can tell her boyfriend she is a thigh girl, LOL. I can't smack her little mouth, though, because she is so cute when she is doing it. A firm "NO!" works for her! laugh

#25834 05-09-2003 04:38 AM

Desiree,

I can't speak for everyone else, but I think you would be welcome here on the forum no matter what type cancer you are dealing with. I'm sure some of the issues would be very similar, since it is still an oral environment.

I hope you are one of the lucky ones, though, and have no reason to remain here as a member. Please let us know the outcome either way. Wishing you a non-cancer diagnosis.

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
#25835 05-10-2003 03:50 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Rosie......Been thinking of both you and Heather. Is she home from the hosptial? How is she doing? How are you doing? IF you're up to it, we'd all like hearing a progress report. Both you and Heather contine to be in my thoughts.....wishing you the best! Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#25836 05-12-2003 05:33 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Desiree:

Hang in there and keep us posted about the results-I respect your grit.Diagnosis doesn't preclude you from being here. Approximately 5% of oral lesions are caused by lymphoma so you are correct that it is unusual but not a true zebra in the horse corral so to speak. You may find addition specific treatment information(if needed) from forums geared toward lymphoma treatments but you will always have friend here too.

Dear Friend Rosie:

You and Heather have been close in my thoughts since I heard she was hospitalized. Please catch us up on how Heather and your family are doing if you have time and strength to do so.

A hug to you,

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260