Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#25727 03-30-2003 07:13 PM
frances Offline OP
OP Offline

Dear All,
Many thanks for the advice and support from you all, it's very much appreciated.
I guess patience is the one lesson we all have to learn here, the hardest one anyway!
Not sure why the burns to skin on outside of neck are healing so rapidly , it's a miracle every day yet the inside of throat seems to be worsening and is getting more intense, painwise.Still nothing by mouth, keep on blessing the peg tube!
I tried the rolls of gauze - thanks they work a treat until they got stuck onto lesions and didn't want to pull off very easily! Will persist with less gauze!
I've been told that aloe vera gel is good for rinsing/drinking to heal the mouth, also homeopathic remedy Belladonna for burns - anyone tried? My real life-saver to date has been the dentist's suction pump to clear mouth frequently - a little unsocial as noisy but completely portable and saves spitoon!
Wishing you all the best,
Frances

#25728 03-31-2003 07:11 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

That medication they gave me is spelled 'Guaifenex LA'. Don't know why but I have a mental block about spelling that prescription name.

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#25729 03-31-2003 04:28 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Frances, Just to let you know - I too was amazed how quickly the burns to my husband's neck healed after radiation - in fact it seemed like it healed "overnight" considering how raw and blistered his skin/neck looked as he was going through this. What really helped for him was the Carrington Moisture Barrier Cream - a real GODSEND! He (my husband) was literally at some moments close to tears from the pain of the burn (and being a combat Marine soldier in Vietnam - that's something he tries NEVER to show me!) the pain was unreal. But as soon as I applied the cream - it was a miracle. If he didn't have that - I don't know what he would have done. The gauze - like you mentioned, tends to stick, so oftentimes - he would not use that, but it's so important to keep the neck clean above all - and there was a special cleansing spray that they gave him that I would use before putting on the cream, and the gauze when necessary. As far as the Belladonna - never tried that. I did hear about Aloe Vera as being beneficial to help mouth sores - but he never tried that either. He did try using Vitamin E (broke open a capsule) and applied that to coat the inside of his mouth for the mouth sores - but that wasn't all that great for him. And to address the issue about how even though the neck is healing but the throat pain seems to be getting worse - let me tell you - that seems to be par for the course. Same way for my husband. I'm sure there are many people here who will tell you that seems to be fairly "normal" - a lot is happening inside the mouth with the radiation hitting various fields - and it will without doubt cause pain and sensitivity. My husband has a whole arsenol of pain meds he takes - and that was a lifesaver too. The best advice I can give is to take one day at a time...and do the best you can with it. Hang in there and remember, like you said..............patience is the "lesson" to be learned here. But in the meantime, you will find many good "tutors" here to help along with that. Good luck and let us know how things go.

DonnaJean
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916