Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25273 06-24-2002 04:52 PM
Ginger Offline OP
OP Offline

I have had a white discoloration on my tongue for over 10 years, and over the past 2 years, a rough patch has developed along my inside bottom gum beneath my lower teeth. I have visited dentists over the years, and they said it looked like a burn and was probably due to smoking and not to worry about it. But a new dentist just out of school told me to get a biopsy done, so it's scheduled for July 9th. I'm scared to death, have four very young children, and I'm only 29 years old. Should I be so scared, or is it possible the 'fresh-out-of-school' doctor is over-reacting? Should I have been advised years ago to get a biopsy done on this? It is not painful at all, but now I'm really scared that if it is cancer that it's been there so long it has probably spread everywhere. But all of my blood tests came back normal with three pregnancies I've had in the past 4 years. Wouldn't blood tests reveal something suspicious? If anyone can give me any adivce, support, or encouragement, and prayers, I would sincerely appreciate it.
Ginger

#25274 06-24-2002 05:20 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Ginger, I know the waiting is difficult, but try to keep a positive attitude. If it is not oral cancer, you will have saved yourself a lot of worry, and if it is, you are taking positive action. Being the patient, and not the doctor, I cannot even guess about your case, but please know that everyone on this forum is sending positive thoughts your way.
Joanna

#25275 06-25-2002 09:02 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Ginger,
I can't offer any advice, but it seems like you are certainly doing the right thing!! I can, however, offer many prayers and good thoughts......let us know how you do, and until then, hard as it is, try not to let it make you crazy!
Brooke

Hope is the one thing no one can take away from you!!!
#25276 06-25-2002 11:06 AM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

First the new graduate that sent you for biopsy is doing the right thing. It is unfortunate that more dentists do not take his perspective. Oral cancer education in dental schools is more extensive now than 10 years ago, and that makes new graduates less apathetic about finding OC. Anytime an area of soft tissue is suspect and does not heal for prolong periods, it is important to find out what it is and why it has not healed. The biopsy is the only definitive means to diagnose cancer, so this step is essential.

While I do not think that it was prudent for your pervious doctors to watch something suspicious for so long, they may have recognized it as something benign that didn't require treatment. On a positive note, it is unlikely as fast as oral cancer moves, that you could have it for 10 years and still be alive today. You may have a variety of non-malignant conditions (too numerous to list here) or a premalignant tissue change like leukoplakia. Try to not worry (I know, easier said than done) until you have something real to worry about... you are doing everything that can be done right now.

My only other observation is that since the biopsy will take all of 10 minutes, why can't someone get you in sooner than two weeks away to put your mind at rest. There have to be other oral surgeons in your area that could do this in the next few days and put this issue to rest.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25277 06-25-2002 11:20 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Ginger, Yes the hardest part is the waiting. I did it exactly four different times from 1991 until 2000. The first three were pre-cancerous, but the forth wasn't. Just remember all of us on this forum have gone through this either ourselves or with loved ones. Hang tight, and much positive energy is heading your way.

Take care.

Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#25278 06-25-2002 08:28 PM
Ginger Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all so much for the advice, moral support, and prayers. Prior to writing this message I had not yet told my husband I had scheduled the biopsy. He knew about the spots in my mouth as I have over the years mentioned the discussions I had with doctors about it. I have never read anything about oral cancer until I began reading on this site, and I must say it is pretty frightening to contemplate. However, after discussing my fears with my husband and getting this 'off my chest', it eased alot of my anxiety. I think that this forum is truly a wonderful place for people to get together and support each other. It really helps to know there are others who care and understand when something goes wrong. I will keep you posted as soon as I get my biopsy and results. I may try to get a biopsy scheduled sooner.
Thanks,
Ginger

#25279 07-14-2002 03:02 AM
Ginger Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello. I just wanted to let everyone know that I had my biopsy and the results are benign. That is very good news. However, the patches in my mouth are most probably due to smoking, and continued smoking increases the chances greatly for the patches to change molecularly. I have to have a check up at least once a year to monitor the appearance for any changes. Please pray for me to be able to successfully stop smoking. Thanks again for your support.
Sincerely,

Ginger

#25280 07-14-2002 06:10 AM

Ginger, That is such good news. But please stop smoking. As I said earlier I was bio'd three times and the results were not cancer. But the fourth bio, was my strike out. Use whatever means you have to to stop smoking. You can use the patch in conjunction with the gum, and then there is also Zyban. Funny, while I was in the hospital having my operation they were still changing my patch daily. My husband quit by using the patch and the gum. The gum in high stress times. Also, if you use the patch and you don't feel comfortable moving down to the next level, don't do it until you are ready. I'm so happy for you, but again, please try your hardest to stop smoking. I wish I had in 1991 after my first bio. Take care and if you need some moral support you can email me at [email protected].

Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members