Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21957 01-15-2007 06:01 AM
OP Offline

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself and let you know what brings me here. My name is Tammy Pyrtle and my best friend since childhood was diagnosed with Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Stage II last year. She underwent surgery last April for a tumor in her neck and went through 8 weeks of radiation therapy. The surgical report said "positive margins and possible lymph involvement". She had the more aggressive solid tumor. Recently she went back to the surgeon b/c now she has a tumor in her salivary gland and also one in her lymph node on the same side of her neck as before. They did a CT scan and said there is also spots on her lungs that shouldn't be there. The surgeon is sending her to a medical oncologist to see where to proceed from here. He did mention possible chemotherapy but said they wasn't sure yet whether this was the cancer back or possibly inflamation in some of those areas. From what I've read, it seems unlikely to me that it would be inflamation. My question is this: What do you guys think if this is the cancer and what does this mean for her? Since the possible cancer is seemingly this aggressive, then do you think she might die soon? I'm really worried and not sure what to do to help her through this, other than of course being there for her. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

#21958 01-15-2007 07:34 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hi Tammy,
The first thing is not to get ahead of the medical information. Many people, including my husband, have been through the CT scares where persistent inflamation is present. As I understand the timeline she is less than a year out of treatment so inflamation is a possibility. It's not a recurrence of cancer until the pathology report confirms it.

I know it's difficult to wait until all the information is in but there's no good way around it. It sounds as if the surgeon is being careful not to rush into anything. Consulting with the medical oncologist is a good idea because your friend will get a team assessment and a better plan that considers all the possible treatment options.

If she is not being treated in a comprehensive cancer center (CCC) I would strongly recommend she go to one for a second opinion. There's a link on the home page of this website that is very helpful and you can see where these centers are located. Even if your friend get treated locally, they can follow the recommendations of the CCC.

Even if this were a worst case situation - and let me stress that you don't know that - it's very individual on what happens next. It depends on treatments that would be appropriate to her situation, her response to those treatments, general health and other medical issues, and the stage of this new cancer if that's what it is. Right now I think the best thing you can do for her is research where she can go for a second opinion and help her get there. Listen to her, let her vent, but don't get ahead of facts that are confirmed by the medical team.

She is at the beginning of this new stage and there's a lot of variables that can impact the outcome. Please remember that people survive cancer, including recurrences. We have many members here who are living proof of that.

Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
#21959 01-17-2007 03:58 PM
OP Offline

Hi JoAnne,
Thanks so much for responding. The medical oncologist confirmed today that it is in fact the cancer and not inflamation. It has come back very aggressively and is systematic, meaning it has spread to her lungs and will most likely continue spreading. The oncologist said they were going to start her on chemo this Friday and that there is a 50/50 shot that it might help. Surgery is out of the question because it will just end up coming back or going elsewhere. If anyone has any ideas on how I can help her get through this please let me know. She has pretty much accepted the fact that its a matter of time for her now based on the report she received today. Her main fear now is the suffering that she is sure will come and knowing that her friends and family will have to see her suffering.
Thanks,
Tammy

#21960 01-17-2007 05:31 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Tammy, You all just got some very bad news OR some hope, depending on how you look at it. A 50\50 shot at slowing or killing these tumors is not to be sneered at. Hopefully, your "kindred spirit" will respond well to the next treatments. If she does not, then your role will be to hold her hand, hug her, listen to her and be her advocate in every way you can. To perhaps allay your fears some, if it comes to bottom line, hospice care is available to allieviate the physical pain and to help everyone cope with the emotional stress of saying goodbye. That is a very hard thing for any of us to cope with alone. I hope the best for your friend, and I hope much strength and love for you to share with her. That is what she needs from you. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#21961 01-18-2007 01:48 PM
OP Offline

Thanks so much, JAM. You're right about looking at it as bad news or as hope. I was so sad and upset that I honestly didn't see the "hope" in it. Good luck to you guys too.
Tammy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics